Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It was a nice day out and I've owned my Bronco for almost two months now, so I decided to try removing the roof panels for the three mile drive back home from the grocery store. I didn't have the special storage bag with me, but I have a bunch of towels in the back, so they were still protected. It was easy enough to get them off, since I don't currently have the roof rack installed. For some reason I was surprised that they pretty much block the view out the back.

My opinion of the experience is that it's slightly better than a sun roof, but not nearly as good as a real convertible. The wind buffeting was extreme even at 40 mph. And it wasn't clear to me if it was better with the windows up or down. Once I got home, it was easy enough to re-install them. Just gotta remember driver-side comes off first and goes on last.

I'll be sticking to my Mustang from here on for open air driving. Those roof panels will be saying on the Bronco.

NWrxLZf.jpg
Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Soft top would be easier to get that full open-air experience and not have to remove the back piece, like on the MIC top. Might be a future option to consider.

heelyeah

Outer Banks
First Name
Tripp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco; 2022 F150 Lightning; 2021 JT (wife's)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It sounds you like you need a Bestop Sunrider for your front two panels. I've got one on my Bronco and one on my wife's Gladiator and it's a great product.

jimmy234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Yea, my jeep was fun with the soft top, but it's not nearly as good as a convertible. The wind buffeting was heavier and the roll cage takes away from the experience a bit. Even when you become a pro at taking the top down and up, it still takes a couple minutes. Most convertibles can do it around 10 seconds, usually just through a button. The Bronco is better without the bar across the middle, but it still has the cage that keeps it from the true convertible feel. Big difference, but just my opinion. Definitely still a fun option for those who don't want or can't swing a convertible, though, as most of convertibles are not good for larger families.

Broncoder

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Wondering if anyone who's had a 4-door Jeep hardtop previously and has a 4-door Bronco hardtop now can speak to the difficulty of removal of the rear section. It's smaller, so I assume at least a bit lighter, but is it reasonably manageable without a hoist? It was as struggle on the Jeep I just unloaded, and only ever removed it once since my wife struggled a lot to hold up her side when doing it.

Reactions: jon

Sponsored

BQH2010

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma nightshade 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Wondering if anyone who's had a 4-door Jeep hardtop previously and has a 4-door Bronco hardtop now can speak to the difficulty of removal of the rear section. It's smaller, so I assume at least a bit lighter, but is it reasonably manageable without a hoist? It was as struggle on the Jeep I just unloaded, and only ever removed it once since my wife struggled a lot to hold up her side when doing it.
Do it by myself all the time. It’s not bad.

Broncoder

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Do it by myself all the time. It’s not bad.
That's what I was hoping to hear, so I guess I'll find out once the weather allows it. With the Jeep top, the weight was less of an issue than the size of it.

pimpjuice

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It was a nice day out and I've owned my Bronco for almost two months now, so I decided to try removing the roof panels for the three mile drive back home from the grocery store. I didn't have the special storage bag with me, but I have a bunch of towels in the back, so they were still protected. It was easy enough to get them off, since I don't currently have the roof rack installed. For some reason I was surprised that they pretty much block the view out the back.

My opinion of the experience is that it's slightly better than a sun roof, but not nearly as good as a real convertible. The wind buffeting was extreme even at 40 mph. And it wasn't clear to me if it was better with the windows up or down. Once I got home, it was easy enough to re-install them. Just gotta remember driver-side comes off first and goes on last.

I'll be sticking to my Mustang from here on for open air driving. Those roof panels will be saying on the Bronco.

Ford Bronco I removed my roof panels - once is enough NWrxLZf
I HIGHLY recommend taking the entire roof off AND doors for the full experience.
I did the same thing when I got mine (front panels only) and was like "eh, it's ok." But once I took everything off, it was exactly what I expected!
Plus the amount of compliments and "I had no idea the top and doors came off" you will get from other drivers is worth it.

BQH2010

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma nightshade 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
That's what I was hoping to hear, so I guess I'll find out once the weather allows it. With the Jeep top, the weight was less of an issue than the size of it.
I’m hoping to eventually get a soft top for the summer. It’s the wife’s vehicle and it’s way easier to hang the hardtop up for the summer just once and let her deal with the soft top.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Soft top would be easier to get that full open-air experience and not have to remove the back piece, like on the MIC top. Might be a future option to consider.
Its easier and faster to remove the complete MIC top, vs removing the plastic windows to fold the soft top all the way back. And your not completely topless with the soft top.

Sponsored

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Have you been to a strip club around here...that's what you just did, teased yourself. I would recommend taking it all off so you can feel all the features...like Amsterdam's red light district.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Its easier and faster to remove the complete MIC top, vs removing the plastic windows to fold the soft top all the way back. And your not completely topless with the soft top.
I would disagree that removing the three plastic windows and folding the soft top back would be more difficult than removing the 1 or 2 MIC roof panels, unbolting each side of the rear clam shell, and then trying to remove this yourself or with a friend.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I would disagree that removing the three plastic windows and folding the soft top back would be more difficult than removing the 1 or 2 MIC roof panels, unbolting each side of the rear clam shell, and then trying to remove this yourself or with a friend.
It takes about 3 minutes to be completely topless with the MIC top. There is absolutely nothing difficult about it.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

🤔. Hmmm nope. I can be windows out top down in under three minutes. No tools no climbing up to get panels. I’m certain I can’t do that solo with the rear shell. Plus I have it all with me in case I wander off and don’t go right home and need them. I’d like a hard top one day just to save wear on the soft top during winter. Was hoping a mic top 1.0 would pop up on eBay for a decent price. I can deal with snakeskin finish for a few months out of the year lol. True they all look better with everything removed.

Broncoder

Outer Banks
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m hoping to eventually get a soft top for the summer. It’s the wife’s vehicle and it’s way easier to hang the hardtop up for the summer just once and let her deal with the soft top.
I had the same plan, but not liking the aftermarket offerings I'm seeing yet.
Sponsored