Sponsored

I want a 2.3 and manual, is there any reason to upgrade past the base?

OP
OP
AtomJester

AtomJester

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Bronco ii
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

If you prefer cloth, prefer 2.3 MT & don’t plan on being off road I’d say you’re in a good spot.
I'm still leaning this way, but as others have pointed out, if I do want the ability to lock the rear I need to just do it now. And if I want that.... I can option it on the Big Bend, but can't add the 4A without squatch (which I don't want). But, at that point I'm only a grand or two away from the black diamond (love the steelies) with the option of 4A. :/ This is like putting together a puzzle.
Sponsored

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What are the big advantages to the Advanced 4A? Looks like I can get the locking diff on the Big Bend, but the Advanced 4A requires the Squatch (which I'm not interested in) Are there any drawbacks to advanced 4A?

Also, could we assume that locking diffs will help for resale if I ever decide to sell in the future? Let's say in 10 years, if someone is looking for an off-roader, they will probably want the locking diffs right?

Why is this the hardest decision ever? haha

Another big draw for the base, is I feel like the more gizmos and power features and doo-dads you add on, the more that can inevitably break. My 88 bronco ii is still running, mostly because there is very little as far as electronic parts that can actually fail.

So with the base you'll get the part time selectable 4x4. Meaning when it snows you have to put it in 4hi and stay there and deal with the harder steering and drag of 4x4.

With 4A it will drive as a 2WD RWD until it senses significant slip and then will send power to the front wheels and take it out as needed.

Locking differentials make both wheels turn at the same speed. A differential is needed for going around curves where the outside tire has to travel further than the inside. So a locking differential should only be used when one wheel will be "slipping", Sand/Deep Snow/Mud. I'd say if you ever plan to go to Silverlake you'll want the rear locker. For the snow in Michigan 4hi/4a is plenty, provided you have some good tires.

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

What are the practical reasons I will need to lock? Is it mostly just trails, or would this come in handy during a burly Michigan winter? I'm not super familiar with 4X4 technology. I assume these could be locked and unlocked from within the vehicle? Again, I don't plan on doing a lot of intense trails. But, dirt roads in a foot and a half of snow present a decent challenge for most vehicles haha.
I can't say much about snow, but a couple times we had some trouble getting up a hill with some steep, sandy patches. I don't rock crawl, I don't need Sasquatch or front lockers, but a rear locker "just in case" is nice especially in Arizona were there is a lot of loose dirt.

If Ford offered the rear locker on Base separately, I'd absolutely be buying a Base. But it sounds like for what you need, a Base is plenty capable.

OP
OP
AtomJester

AtomJester

Big Bend
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 Ford Bronco ii
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I can't say much about snow, but a couple times we had some trouble getting up a hill with some steep, sandy patches. I don't rock crawl, I don't need Sasquatch or front lockers, but a rear locker "just in case" is nice especially in Arizona were there is a lot of loose dirt.

If Ford offered the rear locker on Base separately, I'd absolutely be buying a Base. But it sounds like for what you need, a Base is plenty capable.
Looking at the price, if I spec out the big bend with what I want (keyless entry, aux switches, locking diff, etc...) I mid as well just get the Black Diamond since everything is standard and add the keyless entry. Still keeps the build under 40K, gives me a locking rear diff, I love the steelies way more than the wheels on the BB, and I don't think I absolutely need the 4A... When the weather is bad enough for 4 wheel, I can just switch. I'll probably contact my dealer today.

Bifftws

Base
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Z06 corvette, 2021 Ranger, BMW 328i manual
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey everyone!

First time posting. Discovering this forum may have been the worst thing that could have happened to me as I grow more and more impatient for my new bronco, I find my self checking this forum compulsively for updates! And... now tinkering with my build...

I have a day two or three reservation, and placed my order in January shortly after the window opened. As far as I am aware, I am the #1 spot at my dealership! Anyway, I ordered the 2-door BASE with 2.3 and the manual. 2.3 because the Bronco will most just be a daily driver, so fuel efficiency is more of a priority than power. I want a manual because that's what I drive now, and I genuinely just enjoy it more than an automatic. I went with the BASE because the price is GREAT and I just won't be off-roading frequently or doing anything too wild with the car... So, my question is...

If I 100% cannot be talked out of the 2.3 or the manual, what are the advantages to going up in trim? It seems like the bulk of the cool features you get with a big bend or black diamond are cosmetic, or can only be had with an automatic transmission (remote start). MOST of the upgrades, I could do aftermarket in the future, if I decide I want them. The big exception is maybe the spray down interior of the black diamond, but I'm honestly not a huge fan of the blue trim and although I love the idea of the spray down floor boards, I would rather have cloth than vinyl seats.

Am I missing something big here? Are there things that I will regret not getting from the factory? What am I missing that justifies spending more on a Big Bend or Black Diamond? Last question: What is the situation with the navigation feature? Is navigation just not available on the lower trims?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I can't wait to replace my '88 Bronco ii. She's hanging on by a thread.
I moved up to the Big Bend for 2 reasons over the base. Wanted Area 51 color and rear locker. Other than that really just getting leather wrapped steering wheel/shift knob and some extra handles inside the cabin. The upgraded wheels on the Big Bend aren't worth it as you can get better options after market for less money. If you don't need the rear locker stick with the base.

Sponsored

RBF 1401

Base
First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 Avalon, 95 Dakota
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Looking at the price, if I spec out the big bend with what I want (keyless entry, aux switches, locking diff, etc...) I mid as well just get the Black Diamond since everything is standard and add the keyless entry. Still keeps the build under 40K, gives me a locking rear diff, I love the steelies way more than the wheels on the BB, and I don't think I absolutely need the 4A... When the weather is bad enough for 4 wheel, I can just switch. I'll probably contact my dealer today.
Exactly how I ended up opting for the Black Diamond. My non-negotiables were the manual, the steelies, and a rear locker.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exactly why I stayed with the Base also...
The no Mid with manual made moving to anything above a Base foolish.... unless you want a $50K Badlands.
No thanks. I stayed around 32 or 33 list.
I can do heated seats for far less than the 8k Ford wants.

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I ordered a Base and I am really happy. No need from me to upgrade, Base has what I need.

ohioarn

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
B&P seems to no longer have 4 dr base with a manual transmission. Pretty sure that's new development.

DNor

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is advanced 4x4 no longer an option on the base? I could've sworn Advance 4x4 was previously available on B&P.
Sponsored