First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I ordered a Bronco with a black painted top. I've told I'll get a 2022 model year. But I wonder, what exactly does that mean, since many manufacturers start pushing out next year models in the fall/winter of a given year. Spring 2022, Summer, 2023?

Now it appears Ford is struggling even with the MIC tops, let alone painted. Seems like a bit of a gong show. The more I read on these forums the more faith I lose. I know it's the supplier and not Ford...I would just love some more information, some more context...so I can determine whether the wait is reasonable.

Sigh
Sponsored

Virtual-Chris

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some manufacturers do start the new model year a few months before the calendar year, but I believe the Bronco 2022 model year will start in January.

OP
OP

Jeep4bronco86

Badlands
First Name
Jimbo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Some manufacturers do start the new model year a few months before the calendar year, but I believe the Bronco 2022 model year will start in January.
Who knows at this stage. Covid continues to cause supply chain issues.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford has repeatedly stated:
MY21 production will run through the first week of December.
One week shutdown to change over to MY22
MY 22 to start 3rd week of December.

As for black painted tops, the vendor is such a disaster that it's anybody's guess as to when they will actually be available. My guess is late 2nd quarter of 2022. Unless Ford switches vendors.

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Anyone’s guess. We also don’t know if the vendors current problem is engineering (for the 4 door panels), in addition to lack of workers. One thing for sure is Ford needs to get things right with the MIC top. There is obviously a need for some type of standard hard top. If the 2021 rollout is botched because of this and a lot of MIC tops get pushed to 2022 there’s no telling if those that get pushed get an opportunity to change to a mod top, or not. If not, it could push out phase 2 production of mod tops. There is much less incentive to produce a premium top when they are scrambling to simply have a standard MIC hardtop. And if it is the engineering that’s a problem (although I’d think/hope those don’t exist at this point) but if there were problems it doesn’t make the mod top production any easier since it’s a heavier top.

If I were a 2022 mod top guy, I’d be watching the MIC top situation very closely. The hope is all 2021s are assigned within the month and we have some type of poll/feedback to gauge how many MIC tops are provided and how many MIC top guys get pushed from 2021 to 2022. If it’s a fiasco, then I would start preparing for possibly the second half of 2022 for the mod top. If it runs smoothly and we see way more hard top builds than soft top builds for 2021, then I’d be thinking earlier in 2022 for the mod top

Last edited:

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You never get a second chance to make a first impression. Even in the unlikely event Ford rights the ship immediately, they've lost the opportunity for a home run.
Correct. This is our first Ford vehicle and likely last at this rate.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think we all have a very long wait, unless we get soft tops and non Sas. Due to the modular hard top and semi conductor chip shortage. The chip shortage is costing auto manufacturers billions. The only one making out really good right now are used car dealers. Major profit and fast turnaround.

Sponsored

rak2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda MX5 - sold
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'd be all in for a conventional non-removable metal painted hard top. For innovation, how about a single piece painted metal roof that is still removable, but not as easily?

Pros:
body color or other color options
no leaks
no fading, ease of maintenance
opportunity for better sound proofing
different, non-plastic appearance
eliminate sub-vendor dependence

seems like a metal roof ought to be within scope for Ford's design and manufacturing... .. .

rak2

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm at the point now where it's a game between the body color top Ford promised on reveal night 7/13/20 and when I will actually receive the Bronco with it.
So as of now, it's going to be at the very least a year and a half.:rolleyes:

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
By Thanksgiving of 2067.
fixed it for you...

Yep, I gave up WildTrak because the all black everything needed the Mod top to be black as well, It was painfully obvious months ago that it being available in 2022 did not mean in January (or Spring for that matter), if they get it done at all, might just blacken up the MIC some more. When they gave up on the tops for the FE's, there was no doubt that they supplier stopped working on it. Once (if) the MIC is sorted out, then maybe they will start on the Mod top. Different material, so different factory (at least different line). I expect they announce late 2022 availability for the Mod top next December. Once people figure out the GY tires did not get the three peak snow rating, I expect the WT orders will fall even further.

BenB007

Outer Banks
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'd be all in for a conventional non-removable metal painted hard top. For innovation, how about a single piece painted metal roof that is still removable, but not as easily?

Pros:
body color or other color options
no leaks
no fading, ease of maintenance
opportunity for better sound proofing
different, non-plastic appearance
eliminate sub-vendor dependence

seems like a metal roof ought to be within scope for Ford's design and manufacturing... .. .

rak2
The more I’ve been thinking about this the more I agree. I really don’t need a modular top at all as I would likely run soft top in the summer and hard top in the winter. I really think there is an engineering problem afoot as the production side of the tops really should be quite simple and now I’ve become a bit leery of potential leaks with so many parts in the current design on the four door.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I really think there is an engineering problem afoot
I'm guessing the obstacle to potential solutions is additional weight. Ford has been so paranoid about weight-related options I'd guess even increasing the MIC thickness to improve stability/integrity is problematic.

Some aftermarket supplier should pick up on your idea...I'm quite happy to toss anything Webasto had a hand in
Sponsored