First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Give me the pros and cons for these two competing technologies for an off-roading wheel.

Will they both air down equally well?

I am likely getting a set of one or the other for a 2 door Bronco.
Sponsored

ScLeCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

NOT a fan of the screws. Seems like a recipe for failure IMO, but I have no first hand experience with either. However my gut reaction to those screws is a hard pass.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ā€˜24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

NOT a fan of the screws. Seems like a recipe for failure IMO, but I have no first hand experience with either. However my gut reaction to those screws is a hard pass.
+1 not a fan of the screws and not a fan of Icon in general.

Beadlocks are proven.

Bead grip works very well too.

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Donā€™t think you can go wrong with either choice. The screws were rusting when the wheels first came out, think they got that corrected.

I run Method bead grips on my Raptor, no complaints. The one reason I didnā€™t choose the ICON Rebound Pro is I donā€™t like the style of wheel. If it was a different style, would have definitely given it a harder look.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I get to the point I will use beadlocks... I will use actual beadlocks and keep cheap-but-decent street tires and an off-road set of wheels and tires.

*It's not cheap and I don't have any spot I go to regularly, so I haven't done it. It's just the plan.

Sponsored

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have run The below types on several vehicles.
1) actual beadlocks
2) hutchinson double beadlock or rockmonster(hmmwv recenters and the suburban takeoffs)
3) icons

i have not tried beadgrip

1) a tire isnt designed to seat like that and overall a decent solution for a second set IMHO
2) i have actually had to seperate them in the field and appreciated it. Hated the weight though. Man the weightā€¦. i almost bought the rockmonsters for my 2 door, but passed
3) no complaints yet on the icons. But i only have 10000 miles on them. Everything i read about them being unreliable, leaking or rusting just hasnt happened to me. Im not sure what ā€˜failsā€™. Or fear isā€¦.

i also use them offroad. I have not been to a daiquiri shop to show off any of the three styles off. Like most people local to me do

I believe broncbuster is doing something with tibus for beadlock last i readā€¦. And ctis

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback so far. I don't wheel hard enough to justify going to full beadlocks, but in the case of the girlfriend, she's just learning and more likely to knock the bead off.

The Icons seem to be an interesting choice, but the bead grip seems to be the lower maintenance option. I think that both approaches may have merit, but real world experience definitely exposes any potential flaws.

jzweedyk

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I looked at both. Did not want traditional beadlocks because of the bolts, which I have damaged before on my Jeep. The Icon's look great (I have an Icon Suspension on the Bronco) and I was going with them, but my local tire shop said they have had problems with the O rings tearing on almost every installation. Also it seems like there are a lot of failure points. So I went with the Method Beadgrips and have been very happy with them. DOT approved (unlike traditional beadlocks). I guess the only problem is that when they seat the tires it makes quite a POP and the installer has to be aware of it. I recommend the Methods.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've put over 30,000 miles on the ICON Rebound Pro's on my 2-door so far. Frequent off-road trips, frequent air-downs, no issues. No leaks, no maintenance required, no problems whatsoever. Yes I do work for ICON so consider my advice biased if you must. But I'm also a fellow Bronco enthusiast and off-roader for over 30 years and I've had lots of wheels during that time including regular beadlocks (which I loved but required maintenance, sometimes leaked, occasionally sheared bolts, etc.). Don't let the fear of air leaks through InnerLock pins influence your decision, as that simply isn't a factor.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I originally wanted the ICONs but then decided to go with the Methods. I'm very happy I did. They work great and will be very reliable. Zero issue with the tire installs.

img_0713-jpeg.jpg

Sand Hollow

661410ae-df61-4e88-aca2-2f40aebee1ab-jpeg.jpg

Hell's Revenge tested...

Sponsored

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently upgraded to the Method 703 Bead grips. Something else to consider is weight. The Methods are 26lbs per wheel and the icons are 32lbs per wheel. May not sound like a lot of difference, but that's 24 pounds of rotating mass difference. It will help with long term drivetrain wear especially if you are running heavier tires as well.

I don't think either will replace a true beadlock, but I'm thinking either will be better than a traditional wheel (aftermarket or stock).

Ford Bronco Icon Rebound Pro "Inner Lock" vs Method "Bead Grip" sep 23 3

Ford Bronco Icon Rebound Pro "Inner Lock" vs Method "Bead Grip" sep 23 5

Ford Bronco Icon Rebound Pro "Inner Lock" vs Method "Bead Grip" Sep 23

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Donā€™t think you can go wrong with either choice. The screws were rusting when the wheels first came out, think they got that corrected.

I run Method bead grips on my Raptor, no complaints. The one reason I didnā€™t choose the ICON Rebound Pro is I donā€™t like the style of wheel. If it was a different style, would have definitely given it a harder look.
Waitā€¦. Icon products with rust? No way! Hahaha. Sorry I had to

JustinZ

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've had the Icons for about a year and 15,000 miles. Zero issues. No maintenance. They have literally been set it and forget it.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

the icons are 32lbs per wheel.
Not that it's a huge discrepancy but the Rebound Pros are 30 lbs. The 32 lbs. mentioned on the website is package weight. Also, not all Method Bead Grip wheels are 26 lbs, for example the 706 is also 30 lbs. like ours. BTW a couple of extra pounds of aluminum in the wheel isn't a bad thing for most, especially for those who are doing the types of things that you would want to air down for.
Sponsored