First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After looking into this yes it does appear those markings are incorrect. We didn't include L/R markings on our CAD drawings or models, and the first articles didn't have them either. But apparently the foundry decided to add them to the production units, and of course got them wrong. The marks aren't mentioned in the instructions because we didn't intend for them to even be there.

We're updating our instructions now and will have the markings corrected on future production runs. But for now, yes please just ignore those marks. The tie rods are correctly installed with the bend pointing rearward. The bend is there for clearance at full turn with high offset wheels (which is probably a moot point for most of us). I went out in the parking lot to check the ones on my own Bronco, which were installed here at ICON, and they are installed correctly. Our apologies for the confusion.
Thank you for the confirmation.
Sponsored

Last edited:

aniljavali

Badlands
First Name
Anil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands '22 & Tesla 3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

should I wait until the OEM breaks on trail then install the new ones?

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After looking into this yes it does appear those markings are incorrect. We didn't include L/R markings on our CAD drawings or models, and the first articles didn't have them either. But apparently the foundry decided to add them to the production units, and of course got them wrong. The marks aren't mentioned in the instructions because we didn't intend for them to even be there.

We're updating our instructions now and will have the markings corrected on future production runs. But for now, yes please just ignore those marks. The tie rods are correctly installed with the bend pointing rearward. The bend is there for clearance at full turn with high offset wheels (which is probably a moot point for most of us). I went out in the parking lot to check the ones on my own Bronco, which were installed here at ICON, and they are installed correctly. Our apologies for the confusion.
That’s a fairly significant mistake that comes with money out of my pocket and significant time required to revisit the shop (and hour drive each way from me) to get this remedied. Not cool. I’ll also need new boot clamps.

techdisaster

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
should I wait until the OEM breaks on trail then install the new ones?
I wouldn’t wait until oem breaks to Install these. Do it now while you can take your time and comfort from doing them in your own garage instead of a dirty/muddy trail where you might not have all the tools you need.

My principle reason for having these in my stock Bronco is so I have some insurance that a trail repair won’t be necessary.

Reactions: Jdc

Sponsored

StoicAF

Outer Banks
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Has anyone installed on a hoss 3.0 rac? I’d love to see how it looks. They say you have to stretch it some. My only concern.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s a fairly significant mistake that comes with money out of my pocket and significant time required to revisit the shop (and hour drive each way from me) to get this remedied. Not cool. I’ll also need new boot clamps.
I fully agree, I may have to pay another $120 for an alignment... Not very happy about this. Guess I'll check to see if my wheels hit at full lock, if not I can swap them around next time I need an alignment.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I fully agree, I may have to pay another $120 for an alignment... Not very happy about this. Guess I'll check to see if my wheels hit at full lock, if not I can swap them around next time I need an alignment.
Good luck!

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was comfortable giving this topic some time, and therefore giving ICON time to discuss internally.

However at this point I’m surprised that ICON has not been more communicative.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I was comfortable giving this topic some time, and therefore giving ICON time to discuss internally.

However at this point I’m surprised that ICON has not been more communicative.
They have a history of being pretty dicy with details and customer service. Typically the front end is much better as their products are typically solid from the get-go.

Have you reached out to them directly to engage in conversations about this? A forum is often not the best sounding board platform for vendors (unless they are threatening lawsuits.... then it's entertaining).

That they have a product which has been made incorrectly, there's some need there to help out their customers. Although the issue is very minor and on a part which an experienced installer would simply look at the product and know the stamping was wrong. Independently speaking here, I don't know where this would end for ya, there's an argument to be made both ways on this one. But sometimes the "make it right" exceeds the minimal expense for a vendor.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They have a history of being pretty dicy with details and customer service. Typically the front end is much better as their products are typically solid from the get-go.

Have you reached out to them directly to engage in conversations about this? A forum is often not the best sounding board platform for vendors (unless they are threatening lawsuits.... then it's entertaining).

That they have a product which has been made incorrectly, there's some need there to help out their customers. Although the issue is very minor and on a part which an experienced installer would simply look at the product and know the stamping was wrong. Independently speaking here, I don't know where this would end for ya, there's an argument to be made both ways on this one. But sometimes the "make it right" exceeds the minimal expense for a vendor.
Yes, I have had a phone call and provided formal feedback to Icon via email per their request. Crickets so far and I’m well aware that these things take time.
It is what it is at this point.

However my comments above are centered around my surprise that Icon has not stepped forward and communicated this situation to current owners via social or within B6G (edit: beyond Dusty’s one comment buried in the thread). Messy for sure, and I wish them luck smoothing this out.

Updating the instructions (still unchanged) is likely in process now and would certainly help future consumers. Communication with existing consumers is what I’m curious about.

Last edited:

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, I have had a phone call and provided formal feedback to Icon via email per their request. Crickets so far and I’m well aware that these things take time.
It is what it is at this point.

However my comments above are centered around my surprise that Icon has not stepped forward and communicated this situation to current owners via social or within B6G. Messy for sure, and I wish them luck smoothing this out.

Updating the instructions (still unchanged) is likely in process now and would certainly help future consumers. Communication with existing consumers is what I’m curious about.
Have you already reversed the install or waiting for ICON to assist? Is it driveable?

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35’s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you already reversed the install or waiting for ICON to assist? Is it driveable?
No, I have not swapped them yet. I plan to bring it into a shop to have it done as it will require an alignment and I lack the mech experience to ensure it’s done 100% correctly. Trouble is the shop I trust is 60+ miles away from my house, and not open on the weekends. Plus work is bonkers right now.

All my miles have been pavement so far as 95% of the gates around here are locked for winter. I will not be taking my truck offroad until this has been corrected. I had hoped to go to Moab this spring but looks like those plans are on hold for the time being.

While I expect some kind of reply from Icon I’m not waiting for them.

My free time is very limited, I’ll probably have to take a vacation day to get this sorted. Time is money.

Yes, the vehicle / steering is functioning normally. Per my understanding the bend in the tie rod is designed to help clear wheels with high offsets so I hope it’s ok to drive normally on pavement for now.
Sponsored