Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 2.7 Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like them, seem very stout and beefy compared to stock. Install was very simple.
Ford Bronco ICON XD Forged Tie Rods 329632314_6414737365212833_8364993605556355945_n
Sponsored

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Powdercoating is powder applied, then baked in an oven. Not sure the bearings would like this
Definitely not, I meant removing them and reinstalling after the powder coating. Not going to happen, hence why it hasnā€™t been done by anyone. Silly question the more I think about it.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I like them, seem very stout and beefy compared to stock. Install was very simple.
Ford Bronco ICON XD Forged Tie Rods 329632314_6414737365212833_8364993605556355945_n
Did you get a alignment after install or just match the old ones and install?

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Definitely not, I meant removing them and reinstalling after the powder coating. Not going to happen, hence why it hasnā€™t been done by anyone. Silly question the more I think about it.
Iā€™d just mask and rattle can it. Canā€™t hurt and will help fend off rust. Just allow to dry in warm space for long time and will adhere for a long time.

killaz05

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 2.7 Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you get a alignment after install or just match the old ones and install?
It drove straight since I tried to match it, but I got an alignment to confirm, and they said it was off. It is good now thought.

Sponsored

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It drove straight since I tried to match it, but I got an alignment to confirm, and they said it was off. It is good now thought.
Thanks for the info, trying to figure out the cost of this project. Less than $500 is a deal

cgv

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badsquatch, Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Any of you installing these also have the broncbuster bushing? Any difference in ride with the bushing installed?

My icon tierods just got here today and I have the bushing sitting in the garage. Trying to figure out if I should install it or not. Setup is Eibach coilovers with 2" of lift and 37" tires.

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any of you installing these also have the broncbuster bushing? Any difference in ride with the bushing installed?

My icon tierods just got here today and I have the bushing sitting in the garage. Trying to figure out if I should install it or not. Setup is Eibach coilovers with 2" of lift and 37" tires.
I plan to unless I hear from forum a big ā€œdonā€™t do itā€. I pinged the forum once and not really anything on the bushing so I figured Iā€™d do it. Sure you might be stressing elsewhere but canā€™t be worse than the current design. If the steering rack is gonna go, itā€™s gonna go.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/icon-xd-forged-tie-rods.56420/post-1794298

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I plan to unless I hear from forum a big ā€œdonā€™t do itā€. I pinged the forum once and not really anything on the bushing so I figured Iā€™d do it. Sure you might be stressing elsewhere but canā€™t be worse than the current design. If the steering rack is gonna go, itā€™s gonna go.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/icon-xd-forged-tie-rods.56420/post-1794298
I don't think with the bushing you will be causing stress elsewhere except to the entire rack itself which is better than one of the weak points on the rack.

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think with the bushing you will be causing stress elsewhere except to the entire rack itself which is better than one of the weak points on the rack.
It could just move the stress to another area of the steering rack but I have not seen any history of that, so Iā€™d install and let us know how it went. I still need to order the bushing

Sponsored

cgv

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badsquatch, Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably need to move the conversation to another thread. I'll post one up in a bit to get feedback from those that have installed it.

mspeter

Badlands
First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Badlands 7-spd, ā€˜20 F350 Dually, & 3x M422A1s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Installed the Icon tie rods, along with bā€™buster parts on each end, on a stock Badlands with _stock 55mm offset wheels_.

FYI - the passenger side had tight clearance.

Perhaps due to a stack-up of manufacturing tolerances, at full turn steering, the tie rod barely hits the clip-on wheel weight, so will need to rebalance w/a stick-on weight. Might get ambitious when installing the Icon coilovers and TIG some augmentation to the steering stop on the knuckle.

F-Spot

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla, FJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The inner tie rod is bare machined 4140 chromoly, which is somewhat rust resistant but can eventually form surface rust in corrosive environments. Periodic application of oil or wax should keep them shiny for the long term.

The outer is forged steel with a manganese phosphate coating. I wasn't familiar with that particular finish so I did a little bit of googling to educate myself about it. According to this page:
Manganese Phosphate is intended to produce highly corrosion resistant, non-metallic, manganese phosphate coatings on iron and steel surfaces. The coatings have great adherence and provide substantial protection from rust by bonding the final finish of stain, oil, wax or paint to the treated articles. The treatment produces a uniform coating and is especially suitable for rust proofing threaded pieces and articles with small holes or recesses.

As far as I know, we have not applied any sort of a "final finish" as stated in that article. Will it ever rust? My guess is it will eventually form surface rust, depending on the environment. Here in the southwest where we don't salt the roads, I won't be worrying about it much. But if you're concerned about it, painting them might be a good idea. It sounds like the manganese phosphate is a good surface for bonding with paints and other finishes. Or, as the article suggests, just wipe them periodically with wax or oil. Which is what I will be doing with mine, just hitting them with a rag with a bit of 3-in-1 whenever I grease the TRE's.

gun barrel coating (y)

rguest3

Badlands
First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350, F-450, 2022 Bronco, (2) 77 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I got mine installed last week. The Icon XD Forged Tie Rods are a lot beefier than stock and more stout than the HOSS 3.0 HD Tie Rods.

Install was straight forward and Toe alignment was done as well.

I have an Icon Suspension and there are no issues what so ever.

Ford Bronco ICON XD Forged Tie Rods IMG_0627
Sponsored

Last edited: