Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Bronco, ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I finished up the first stage of my rear fog install this weekend. Some tweaks to get things lined up, but its working off the factory headlight switch with front and rear fogs, and the rear fog enabled harness.
Note for Forscan programming: besides the two rear fog settings noted in this thread, I also had to disable the rear fog inhibit setting in Forscan to get them to turn on. Now they work and the dash indicator works as well!
Need a little alignment and blackout the upside down Rigid logo, otherwise good to go.

783911E8-1F56-4105-A1DA-D12B01991435.jpeg
Nice! Could you share pics of the light pattern from them? The diffused lenses made me feel like those wouldnā€™t function well as rear fogs.
Sponsored

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So if I tap into the blue/white, no harness neededā€¦decisions, decisions. Thanks for your insight!
Where would you tap into this wire - does it run all the way to the back, in the tailight area?

Tapping this wire seems preferable to swapping out the old harness with a "G" version.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Where would you tap into this wire - does it run all the way to the back, in the tailight area?

Tapping this wire seems preferable to swapping out the old harness with a "G" version.
If memory serves it would terminate in the bumper connector on the driver's side - same one used for the license plate light.

Already have my dash switch installed and activated through Forscan; just need to finally wire up the rest of everything out back. Not planning on using the OE lamp so I'll probably also wind up either tapping into that wire or - if a pin/ pigtail kit is available - just adding a pin and building my own harness for the fogs.

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If memory serves it would terminate in the bumper connector on the driver's side - same one used for the license plate light.

Already have my dash switch installed and activated through Forscan; just need to finally wire up the rest of everything out back. Not planning on using the OE lamp so I'll probably also wind up either tapping into that wire or - if a pin/ pigtail kit is available - just adding a pin and building my own harness for the fogs.
Nice, I also have my dash switch installed, but not yet "forscanned". Now on to selecting a set of light in the back for illumination.

I don't know that installing the lights under the bumper will work for me, as they're just asking to be smacked if the tuck comes off a tall ledge, though the Bronco has a decent departure angle. Has anyone else used a higher mounting point for the lights? Say, on top of the bumper?

jalawson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Bronco, ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice, I also have my dash switch installed, but not yet "forscanned". Now on to selecting a set of light in the back for illumination.

I don't know that installing the lights under the bumper will work for me, as they're just asking to be smacked if the tuck comes off a tall ledge, though the Bronco has a decent departure angle. Has anyone else used a higher mounting point for the lights? Say, on top of the bumper?
Iā€™m still looking to find a good set of red spots to flush mount on the bumper but the selection is very slim.

Sponsored

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Iā€™m still looking to find a good set of red spots to flush mount on the bumper but the selection is very slim.
How do you flush-mounted on the bumper - cut holes in the bumper? Red spots (or any red light) wouldn't throw as much usable light if rear-area illumination were the goal?

jalawson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Bronco, ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How do you flush-mounted on the bumper - cut holes in the bumper? Red spots (or any red light) wouldn't throw as much usable light if rear-area illumination were the goal?
Yeah cut holes in the OEM bumper and then mount in slot in aftermarket bumper eventually.

Goal for me is increased rear visibility in severe fog and heavy rain both on and off road with a secondary function of additional reverse lighting. Ideally itā€™d be a clear lens with LEDs that can switch between red and white.

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah cut holes in the OEM bumper and then mount in slot in aftermarket bumper eventually.

Goal for me is increased rear visibility in severe fog and heavy rain both on and off road with a secondary function of additional reverse lighting. Ideally itā€™d be a clear lens with LEDs that can switch between red and white.
Got it. I'll likely be swapping on an aftermarket bumper as well, with cutouts for lights. I'm of a like-mind about a proper rear fog light, as I use it in inclement weather in my Mercedes (the only vehicle in the household equipped with one).

The switching flexibility between white and red leds of the correct intensity would be great - what are some of the options you've come up with thus far?

Come to think of it - install a red one on the driver side (where the rear fog ideally sits), and a white one on the right for all-purpose lighting - it'd be mandatory to find a cover for the white one when the rear fog is being used on the road.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I actually want mine to work as rear fog lights, so I'm planning on just getting some small red LED brake lights and wiring them up.

I actually have to repair the connector in question anyway - mine never quite went back together probably after disconnecting it to pull the bumper earlier - but I can't confirm the blue and white wire for fogs is in that connector I previously mentioned.

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I actually have to repair the connector in question anyway - mine never quite went back together probably after disconnecting it to pull the bumper earlier - but I can't confirm the blue and white wire for fogs is in that connector I previously mentioned.
Ah okay. I've pulled the bumper and the wire connector before (to install a factory hitch receiver), and will check the connector to see if that wire is indeed there - otherwise, all this discussion is for naught (unless one purchases the new wire harness)!

Sponsored

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ah okay. I've pulled the bumper and the wire connector before (to install a factory hitch receiver), and will check the connector to see if that wire is indeed there - otherwise, all this discussion is for naught (unless one purchases the new wire harness)!
It's there on the vehicle end on my base. I think you're safe.

jalawson

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜22 Bronco, ā€˜17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Got it. I'll likely be swapping on an aftermarket bumper as well, with cutouts for lights. I'm of a like-mind about a proper rear fog light, as I use it in inclement weather in my Mercedes (the only vehicle in the household equipped with one).

The switching flexibility between white and red leds of the correct intensity would be great - what are some of the options you've come up with thus far?

Come to think of it - install a red one on the driver side (where the rear fog ideally sits), and a white one on the right for all-purpose lighting - it'd be mandatory to find a cover for the white one when the rear fog is being used on the road.
So far the only thing Iā€™m coming up is using something like the Whelen ION Duo Surface Mount in red and white. Then wire it up so the rear fog switch turns them to red and one of the Aux switches turns it to white.

OP
OP
Cfield90

Cfield90

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco/22 Escape/01 Softail/90 Bronco (former)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not šŸ’Æ where it terminates or if it makes it all the way to any connectors by the bumper. Everything Iā€™ve seen showed the wire in the wire track under the driver side threshold, but guessing it could also be picked up in the rear driver side for the more door. I canā€™t recall what thread it was in but think it was the factory fog light one.

Also, Iā€™ve seen somewhere in a thread in here a mounting location for the rear fogs that attach to the spare; that should take the worry out of departure angle a lot more than underneath the bumper next to the recovery points.

OP
OP
Cfield90

Cfield90

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco/22 Escape/01 Softail/90 Bronco (former)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The one pictured below is not the one I was thinking of, but itā€™s similar. This one is from Baja designs but the lights appear to be designed to be tapped into the reverse lights, but the mounting bracket demonstrates the use case without having to drill into the bumper.

Ford Bronco Installing Rear Fog/Chase Light Using Factory Switch & Harness 6D565B55-8F7C-4CAB-847B-3583E1FAF2AB
Sponsored