Sponsored

Interest for official soft top to hard top trade program

What price would you pay to upgrade your soft top to hard top directly from Ford after delivery?

• Total voters

Rkgzx9leftcoast

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

No, your entire premise is built on this single falsehood. Not a single solitary person 'had' to change to a soft top. You all chose to do it for motivations that you agreed at the time were worth it to you. Be it the chance for faster delivery, costs, Ford Points, whatever combination or individual reason.

You chose a soft top and knew the consequences.

Why should you get extra compensation (in the form of reduced pricing) above and beyond the deal you already happily made? The folks who waited for a hard top got nothing for waiting and would get nothing in a top trade. So, quite seriously, why do you feel that you are so special that Ford should divert future hard tops away from the production line (even if years from now, will still extend the wait for others at that time) and into a heavily subsidized retail program to reward the people who chose to get a soft top because they did not want to wait? Be a man, take responsibility for your own choices and stop believing other people should bail you out of the consequences.
Actually Ford Told people many times if they switched they would get their Bronco sooner, even offered a hard top prep kit. They also publish a constraint list all the time, to show it was a constraint. It took them months to fix the MIC issues, some still seem to be having some. . Ford needed people to take soft tops to keep the line moving because they couldnt produce enough Hard Tops. Its part of the reason people with an order a month old were getting scheduled while people with Hard Tops have been waiting a year and a half and longer.

I dont know if Ford owes anyone anything, but there was no consensus or information from Ford what the hard top would cost when most switched. In that thought I believe Ford should give Bronco owners who want a hard top after delivery a break. They couldnt supply enough hard tops for everyone that wanted one.
Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It would be a sign of good will if Ford then helped their customers out by offering a factory hard top at a reasonable cost once they resolve their production issues.
Their sign of good will was the prep kit

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

jeeze. Who peed in your cereal today?

Owners who chose to switch from the MIC to the soft top actually did Ford a huge favor. It allowed Ford to get more Broncos delivered and actually get paid. Furthermore, MIC 2.0’s are still having issues and still getting warranteed out, costing ford money. There’s been very few issues with the soft top. So those who switched to a soft top helped Ford out. It would be a sign of good will if Ford then helped their customers out by offering a factory hard top at a reasonable cost once they resolve their production issues.
Actually Ford Told people many times if they switched they would get their Bronco sooner, even offered a hard top prep kit. They also publish a constraint list all the time, to show it was a constraint. It took them months to fix the MIC issues, some still seem to be having some. . Ford needed people to take soft tops to keep the line moving because they couldnt produce enough Hard Tops. Its part of the reason people with an order a month old were getting scheduled while people with Hard Tops have been waiting a year and a half and longer.

I dont know if Ford owes anyone anything, but there was no consensus or information from Ford what the hard top would cost when most switched. In that thought I believe Ford should give Bronco owners who want a hard top after delivery a break. They couldnt supply enough hard tops for everyone that wanted one.
Let's just stop with the premise that buyers were doing Ford a favor and that Ford needed order holders to switch to keep the line moving.

Ford didn't need anyone's help in producing and selling Broncos. If there was no reservation/orders and Ford could only produce moar door stripper softies, they would still sell every single Bronco produced. Order holders are a non-factor in whether a Bronco is sold. The production line at MAP could run non-stop churning out stripper moar doors and there still would be demand at dealers for every one that rolls off the carrier.

BroncoDr

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Let's just stop with the premise that buyers were doing Ford a favor and that Ford needed order holders to switch to keep the line moving.

Ford didn't need anyone's help in producing and selling Broncos. If there was no reservation/orders and Ford could only produce moar door stripper softies, they would still sell every single Bronco produced. Order holders are a non-factor in whether a Bronco is sold. The production line at MAP could run non-stop churning out stripper moar doors and there still would be demand at dealers for every one that rolls off the carrier.
I don’t understand how you can unilaterally say that. What do you think ford makes more money on? Stripper base units or fully optioned out high tier models?

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don’t understand how you can unilaterally say that. What do you think ford makes more money on? Stripper base units or fully optioned out high tier models?
Higher optioned vehicles carry a higher sticker price but they also cost more to make. The pricing is all relative and other than the MY'21 Base with the sub-$30K sticker, they all have profit baked into their pricing. The sweet spot with regards to least complexity to build and lowest cost components with the same profit is the stripper Big Bend.

If you want the bigger picture, none of the current produced Broncos make a dent into the research/development/testing on the Bronco investment by Ford. The payoff will be in a few years.

Ford's cash cow Super Duty and F-150 floats all boats.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

No, your entire premise is built on this single falsehood. Not a single solitary person 'had' to change to a soft top. You all chose to do it for motivations that you agreed at the time were worth it to you. Be it the chance for faster delivery, costs, Ford Points, whatever combination or individual reason.

You chose a soft top and knew the consequences.

Why should you get extra compensation (in the form of reduced pricing) above and beyond the deal you already happily made? The folks who waited for a hard top got nothing for waiting and would get nothing in a top trade. So, quite seriously, why do you feel that you are so special that Ford should divert future hard tops away from the production line (even if years from now, will still extend the wait for others at that time) and into a heavily subsidized retail program to reward the people who chose to get a soft top because they did not want to wait? Be a man, take responsibility for your own choices and stop believing other people should bail you out of the consequences.
We did get a reduced price, around $1800 for giving up the painted hardtop portion of our dual top option. I would not mind $3500 for the painted hardtop that was promised, although the original upchaege plus 10% would be nicer.

I would never trade the softie, as I had it on my build to begin with, but I fo not plan on spending $6000 plus shipping plus cost of painting to a west coaster. I could , based on experience with them providing me with custom starting platforms for our school pool, probably get the obligingly builder of the Corvette bodies (MFG) to do a one off top for me.

Compare the amount of space above your head znd the amount of fiberglass in a tub-shower that retails for $1000 to see where we are coming from

Blaine23

Big Bend
First Name
Blaine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JKU
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think it would be a smart move for to offer hard tops at a discount for 21/22 reservation holders. For the same reason that they send out hammocks, offer a basically free Off-Roadeo, etc. It's good PR to counter all of the problems, setbacks, bullshit dealer markups, etc. that fill up the news.

That said, a trade-in isn't a good idea. They don't want a bunch of used soft tops. And most owners would be fine running dual tops, so it should just be a discount on hard tops.

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Remember that the hard tops are valued at the cost of the soft top assembly + $695. What does the soft top assembly cost?

jorgem31

Outer Banks
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Buyers made a choice to get their Bronco sooner with a compromised configuration. There shouldn't be any trade-in program for HT with a used ST. If you want the HT, then pay for it. If it costs too much, then trade in your ST Bronco for a newly built HT Bronco. You'll have the choice again whether buying a HT from the parts counter is cheaper or whether the trade-in value of your ST Bronco will net a savings on a newly built HT Bronco.

Ford is in the business of producing and selling vehicles. Seems like they already satisfied their obligation to buyers who chose a quicker delivery over waiting for the HT.
Normally I would agree with the concept of a free market but this situation was not normal. Yes people chose to switch to a soft top hoping to get their Bronco sooner but in large part it was because Ford was severely late in delivering to the timeline expectation they set. For some, they needed a vehicle and buying something in the interim was not feasible. I agree with the OP it would not be the $695 upgrade it would have cost when you order but Ford could offer it closer to cost for those that were encouraged to switch, for whatever reason. It's not an unreasonable idea.

Personally, I ended up liking the soft top more than I thought but I am still pissed the Door Bag option was removed without my knowledge and now I can't get the damn things for a reasonable price (with the strap!).

Toastedtostito

Black Diamond
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I ordered a 2 door. I wish I could switch to a soft top to speed things up

Sponsored

Scape Goat

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think what most people would agree on is that when the hard top finally is available as a kit to order, it would be pretty crumby of Ford to charge a ridiculous price of $6k or $7k. Since people were switching without knowing how much it would cost later they should just try to keep it fair..

Personally, I think $4k is fair.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I like the soft top I cancelled my painted hard top for so far. But it's not going to last forever. One way or another, in 3-5 years of Arizona sun, I'll need a new top. Ford giving me $1000 in Ford Points to do the soft top reconfiguration will help. But you have to use the points (or at least tap a few of them...it's confusing) in one year. I'm not sure a modular hard top will be available come December, my one year anniversary of owning a great Bronco. We'll see as we get closer. I'd love to get a $3000 white hard top, minus the $1000 ford bucks....for $2K.

Jonny way

Everglades
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

jeeze. Who peed in your cereal today?

Owners who chose to switch from the MIC to the soft top actually did Ford a huge favor. It allowed Ford to get more Broncos delivered and actually get paid. Furthermore, MIC 2.0’s are still having issues and still getting warranteed out, costing ford money. There’s been very few issues with the soft top. So those who switched to a soft top helped Ford out. It would be a sign of good will if Ford then helped their customers out by offering a factory hard top at a reasonable cost once they resolve their production issues.
yes. perhaps as soon as all the orders are filled for those who chose to wait for this constrained item. You can see why this ask would be frustrating to those of us waiting for our vehicles with MIC?
Sponsored