Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks man... with the right process and use of templates, and a lot of patience, you can get results that look identical to a cnc product with much more basic tools (handheld router and a flush trim bit).

Its often more rewarding than the cnc work i do, but I wouldn't trade having the cnc in the shop for anything 😆

20230912_120607.jpg
I am sending my oldest kid to school now for fabrication. CNC, welding, all that.

He enjoys it and I get to reap the benefits of his education!
Sponsored

Maine Explorer

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Did you just casually DIY something way nicer than anything that can be bought for any amount of money?

I'm blown away by this!

Maine Explorer

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I mean come on, the air pump even pumps up the matters!!!!!

So clean!

Sponsored
OP
OP
ArtHughes

ArtHughes

Badlands
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arthughesphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 4Dr Bronco Badlands w/ Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you just casually DIY something way nicer than anything that can be bought for any amount of money?

I'm blown away by this!
Hahaha... yea i had nothing to do one Tuesday evening so I just threw it together 🤣

I appreciate the kind words 🙏

flashpunk

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Promaster
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is so great, I just picked up a 4dr bronco and am hoping to build out something near to this - previous vehicle was a Ram Promaster with 400ah.

Wondering if you've seen the LiTime Mini100ah batteries? You might be able to sneak in an extra 100ah of power with the compact size of those batteries.

L10.23*W6.61*H8.22 inch
https://www.litime.com/products/lit...thium-battery-built-in-100a-bms-1280wh-energy

Looks like they have a new version coming with bluetooth and a few extra features as well:
L10.24*W6.61*H8.30 inch
https://www.litime.com/products/lit...cycle-battery-built-in-100a-bms-1280wh-energy

TheGoodBadUgly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is a look at the camp platform and power system I built and installed in my 2023 4Dr Bronco Badlands w/ the Sasquatch Package. I have been planning this build since first reserving my Bronco (which was initially a 21 model year) with the goal of it being a go-anywhere nature photography vehicle. The main objectives were to create a flat sleeping surface that I could stretch out in (I’m 6’3”), add a large 12V/120V auxiliary power system, ensure that everything I built was rattle-free and silent off-road, and do this without making permanent modifications to the vehicle (meaning it all bolts in using stock anchor points).

_R5_4230.jpg

To do this, the driver side section of the rear seat was removed to allow for a perfectly flat platform from the cargo area up through to the driver’s seat. I made a subframe system out of ¾” Baltic birch plywood that ties into the 4 cargo bay tie down points in the rear, and into the anchor points used for the rear seat. The subframe in the rear was built at a slight angle to provide a level platform when the vehicle is level, since the OEM cargo floor is at an angle relative to the frame. This determined the angle for the entire platform.

Next was a 2 section deck platform made from ½” Baltic birch plywood that bolts to the new subframe. The front and rear sections were split so each can easily be removed (4 bolts per section) which gives quick access to all the power equipment and wiring built into the subframe. There are two storage hatches in the front section of the bay with magnetic doors for storage of camp gear (JetBoil, propane tanks, etc), and a flip out deck extension to give me extra headroom when setup for sleeping. The side of the platform accessed from the passenger door has a faceplate that houses the main battery disconnect switch for the dual batteries, and a small hatchet mount I made from hard white maple since my camp hatchet happened to fit perfectly in that space.

The rear deck has a large equipment bay for stereo gear since I replaced the lackluster factory system (I’ll cover that in another post, since this is already long-winded), and a hinged rear door, under which hangs a 2,000 watt sine wave inverter. This hinged panel gives me access to the factory storage bay in the cargo floor for the OEM jack, as well as the factory storage compartment where I keep all my vehicle recovery gear. I added an auxiliary control panel for the onboard air compressor that has the 3/8” air QD bulkhead and the power switch for the ARB Twin compressor. I built a composite mount system for the compressor and mounted it in the passenger side cargo area window behind the interior frame rail. This is wired to the auxiliary power system so I can run the compressor without the vehicle running. The primary purpose of the compressor is for airing up and down when off-road, but I use it every night for inflating the camp mattress as well. I built a 4-tire inflation manifold and hose kit to hook up to the rear of the platform for easy and mostly hands-off inflation.

I built an auxiliary control box that is installed in the rear cargo window frame behind the exposed vehicle frame structure. I matched the angle of the interior frame for an OEM look, and admittedly went a little crazy with the design and build of the enclosure. It’s built from ½” Baltic birch plywood, then shaped to match the interior contours. I had to create a baseplate that would give a flat mounting surface, which is attached to the rear roof bolt-down points. I CNC’d a carbon fiber faceplate that contains a Victron BMV 700 Battery Monitor w/ Bluetooth Module, Blue Sea Systems Power Switch, Renogy Inverter Control Panel, Interior LED Power Switch, High Current 12v Outputs, dual 120V outputs, three 12V accessory outlets, and 2 dual USB outlets. This panel location was chosen for easy access to all the system outputs from the tailgate and while I’m laying inside to sleep.

The power gear under the deck is as follows:
  • Two 12v100ah Lithium Batteries
  • Victron 500A Shunt (for power monitoring)
  • Victon 12-12-30 Isolated DC to DC Charger
  • Victron MPPT 75 | 10 Solar Charge Controller
  • Renogy 2000W Sine Wave Inverter
  • Blue Sea Systems Fuse Blocks and Power Cutoff Switches
  • AudioControl LC7i Active Line Converter
  • JL Audio XD-1000/5V2 5 Channel Amplifier
Above the deck is a 50 quart ICECO 12v Fridge, ARB Twin Air Compressor, interior weatherproof LED lighting on a remote dimmer, custom made fire extinguisher mount, and a custom camera mount plate for camera charging while driving. I also added an Outback Adventure Products TrailGater Tailgate Table, which has been an amazing addition.

The platform deck is finished with 2 coats of water based satin polyurethane, and the lower sections of the subframe that are visible are sprayed with a textured black satin paint to blend into the interior. I added 3 sections of adhesive rubber on the deck to provide grip that prevents gear from sliding, and US Cargo Control removable anchor points for gear tiedowns. I may eventually coat the deck with something like Line-X, but once I go that route there is no undoing it. My main concern with that is off gassing since I sleep inside, but I still may go that route in the future.

Overall, I’m really pleased with the results and the system has performed better than expected. I’ve had a bunch of extended trips with it all over the PNW and up through the Canadian Rockies and it’s been rock solid. There have been zero rattles and the added utility as a camper has given me access to areas I’d never reach otherwise.

There is a quick video walkthrough of it from when it was initially finished on instagram, https://www.instagram.com/arthughesphoto

Here is a link to the full stereo upgrade for those interested in that sort of thing:
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/bronco-badlands-full-stereo-upgrade-project-complete.88971/

I'd welcome any questions or feedback on the build.

-Art

_R5_4154.jpg

_R5_4092.jpg

_R5_4095.jpg

_R5_4131.jpg

_R5_4133.jpg

_R5_4110.jpg

_R5_4137.jpg

_R5_4123.jpg

_R5_4167.jpg

_R5_4177.jpg

_R5_4173.jpg

_R5_4183.jpg

_R5_4204.jpg

_R5_4188.jpg

_R5_4237-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Subframe Power System.jpg

Inverter Mount.jpg

Stereo AMP-LOC Rack.jpg

Bronco Canadian Rockies Camp.jpg
Simply beautiful work !!!!

You wrote: "To do this, the driver side section of the rear seat was removed..."

Because I'm a newbie, and considering attempting this for myself: did you use any instructions for removing the driver side 60% seat? If so, can you share that? And, does anything need to be cut or permanently altered to the 60% rear seat to remove it??? Thanks!

Again, simply outstanding craftsmanship and functionality....bravo 💪🏼🏆

OP
OP
ArtHughes

ArtHughes

Badlands
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arthughesphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is so great, I just picked up a 4dr bronco and am hoping to build out something near to this - previous vehicle was a Ram Promaster with 400ah.

Wondering if you've seen the LiTime Mini100ah batteries? You might be able to sneak in an extra 100ah of power with the compact size of those batteries.

L10.23*W6.61*H8.22 inch
https://www.litime.com/products/lit...thium-battery-built-in-100a-bms-1280wh-energy

Looks like they have a new version coming with bluetooth and a few extra features as well:
L10.24*W6.61*H8.30 inch
https://www.litime.com/products/lit...cycle-battery-built-in-100a-bms-1280wh-energy
I use BattleBorn batteries bc of the quality of their internals (cell matching between packs, design and build of their BMS, the actual usable capacity of the pack, and their warranty). I've used them for years in commercial/military settings and their quality is a noticeable step above the budget chinese lithium packs that have flooded the market. Of course at their price you'd certainly expect them to be.

Best of luck on your build! Message me if I can help answer any questions as you dive into it.

OP
OP
ArtHughes

ArtHughes

Badlands
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arthughesphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Simply beautiful work !!!!

You wrote: "To do this, the driver side section of the rear seat was removed..."

Because I'm a newbie, and considering attempting this for myself: did you use any instructions for removing the driver side 60% seat? If so, can you share that? And, does anything need to be cut or permanently altered to the 60% rear seat to remove it??? Thanks!

Again, simply outstanding craftsmanship and functionality....bravo 💪🏼🏆
I appreciate the kind words and apologize for the delayed reply.

I didn't use any guides for the removal and it was pretty straight forward (although i have pulled seats from other vehicles in the past). The only small nuisance was the seatbelt removal under the seat. You have to unbolt it to get the seat out, but be sure to reattach it and keep the electronic sensor connected so you don't throw any errors. There is a captive washer on the bolt which is a small pain to release to get the bolt out.

It also requires a different Torx bit (not a Torx Plus which is what the included Bronco tool kit has). I believe it was a T50, but can verify and get back to you if that helps. There were no permanent alterations made for my entire build (aside from adding a single ground point in the rear for the electrical gear). I could pull my entire setup out and return it back to factory in less than 2 hours if I had to.

Let me know if I can help as you get into your build.

Sponsored

TheGoodBadUgly

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I appreciate the kind words and apologize for the delayed reply.

I didn't use any guides for the removal and it was pretty straight forward (although i have pulled seats from other vehicles in the past). The only small nuisance was the seatbelt removal under the seat. You have to unbolt it to get the seat out, but be sure to reattach it and keep the electronic sensor connected so you don't throw any errors. There is a captive washer on the bolt which is a small pain to release to get the bolt out.

It also requires a different Torx bit (not a Torx Plus which is what the included Bronco tool kit has). I believe it was a T50, but can verify and get back to you if that helps. There were no permanent alterations made for my entire build (aside from adding a single ground point in the rear for the electrical gear). I could pull my entire setup out and return it back to factory in less than 2 hours if I had to.

Let me know if I can help as you get into your build.
thank you so much for the guidance! Much appreciated.

Shrek27

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So stealth and contrary to the cookie cutter overland build of today. Love it!
_R5_4230.jpg

Bronco Canadian Rockies Camp.jpg