John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have had almost a year to think about my build and am now questioning it. I was choosing between the BB and the OBX. I ordered a (BB/2 door/MID pkg/2.7/Sig lighting/tube steps/Roof rails/Tow pkg/Rear locker).
This will be my daily driver for both myself and my wife. We don't plan on doing any major off-roading. mostly camping and accessing trails for our bicycles. We chose the BB over the OBX because we liked the wheels and grill better on the BB, and it was less expensive.
The reason why I am rethinking my build is for the 4A. The BB does not let you add 4A as an option unless you get the Sas. We live in the NW and I am thinking it would be nice to use on the inclement weather days or going over a mountain pass with transitioning road conditions. The OBX lets you add this option.
I started thinking that we are getting most of the options on the BB that come standard on the OBX. I could opt for the smaller 2.3 engine on the OBX and add the 4A for about the same price as my current BB build with the 2.7.
We have also had a Jeep Cherokee in the past with the manual 4 hi and 4 low which was fine, but will I be missing that newer technology of the 4A?
Wait and see how various users like the 4wd systems when we get our car. Since the early 1970's, ive only had on demand 4wd. My OBX, supposedly in production in two weeks, will be my first vehicle with an auto or full time 4wd capability. I'll let you know!

However, my wife has had Subarus in rhe ice & snow of upstate NY and Pennsylvania. I have to say that when it was snow or ice, my wife's Subaru and its full time 4wd (AWD) was the superior ice vehicle. On demand 4wd never had the nuance and tracking of the Subaru.

Personally, if snow is a concern (and Ice), id go with an AWD/Auto4WD system, IF Bronco Auto4WD proves to be a good one.

Finally, however, winter ice-compound tires were a must for me in snow/ice.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought the high IP was a lie?
I vaguely recall a discussion on that, might be. I just quickly yanked a few of the cosmetic differences off the Ford site in compare models, didn't vet any of them.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Thanks,

I have seen some threads on the topic including this info from Ford.

Ford Bronco™ 4x4 Traction Systems | Ford How-To | Ford

Which has got me more interested, hence me rethinking my build. I currently have a Escape with Intelligent 4 wheel drive, which I have enjoyed and felt more comfortable having my wife not worry about when to engage anything. I know it's a different system, but thinking the 4A is a similar feature. It sound like a worthwhile feature.

Thanks,
Mark
Better reading to understand both systems, and also why your Escape is simply a trick of torque vectoring and not true 4wd would be:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/how-awd-works-includes-fords-4a-system.13882/

A more generic article, and focusing only on Ford's systems is:

https://www.blueovaltrucks.com/tech-articles/understanding-the-4wd-in-your-ford/

Even if you wanted it in the least complicated terms possible:

• 4A: An actual real-time 4WD system you can daily drive in all conditions which will give you useful 4wd monitored thousands of times per second

• Non-4A: You have a RWD Bronco unless locked into 4-High/4-Low, and you certainly aren't daily driving either of those settings around Portland
As a fellow PNW resident, i'd take 4A over the optional engine every time. While not recently (thanks, heat wave!) we typically get a lot of rainy days, i'd rather have 4wd in a low-grip situation of rain and slick roads than RWD

Also, what it looks like from the outside:

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This! Unless you're asleep at the wheel, you should be able to understand when it's time to turn on 4H. In a vehicle like a Bronco, I much prefer me doing the thinking than the computer, but that's me. If I'm not mistaken, trail turn assist only works with Adv 4X4 (right?). This feature is cool as heck, so it's worth getting it for that. I'll never use 4A on my Sas.
I lived in Florida for 20 years owning part time four-wheel drives with no complaints. Then I moved to Colorado and lived there for 10 years with a part-time four wheel drive, what a pain in the Arse having to shift in and out of 4h, then 2h. Back and forth. If I lived out there today or anywhere where it snows it would be mandatory to have 4A!

Sponsored

79bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This! Unless you're asleep at the wheel, you should be able to understand when it's time to turn on 4H. In a vehicle like a Bronco, I much prefer me doing the thinking than the computer, but that's me. If I'm not mistaken, trail turn assist only works with Adv 4X4 (right?). This feature is cool as heck, so it's worth getting it for that. I'll never use 4A on my Sas.
You'd be incredibly surprised how efficient 4A is. My last vehicle had it, at 40 degrees air temp it automatically switched. You had the ability to disable it and drive normally and make a choice when to engage it. As others said, if it rained or you hit surprising weather which happens in the Midwest it's nice and limitless times smarter than either of us. Necessary? No. I drove a read wheel drive nova for years and just worked the pedal and patience. But 4A is slick.

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We have also had a Jeep Cherokee in the past with the manual 4 hi and 4 low which was fine, but will I be missing that newer technology of the 4A?
I ordered the advanced 4wd as I am in Wisconsin and if the border opens up will be traveling to Manitoba frequently. That being said, I seldom use the part time 4wd of my Xterra on the street in the winter. I do have dedicated winter tires. If I lived somewhere with a milder winter, and didn’t plan on off-roading where the better crawl ratio comes to play, I wouldn’t spend the money.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

4A is about the same as the Quattro system by Audi. Not QUITE as advanced, but same concept.
the vw/audi quattro system uses a physical center differential.
no center diff in the ford 4A system (just a really rapid clutch)

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the vw/audi quattro system uses a physical center differential.
no center diff in the ford 4A system (just a really rapid clutch)
From my understanding, they are attempting to replicate a center dif just as you say by primarily using traction control/ABS systems with some clutch mechanism.
Like i said, it’s not as advanced but as long as it’s half as good, it’s worth the cost.

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

From my understanding, they are attempting to replicate a center dif just as you say by primarily using traction control/ABS systems with some clutch mechanism.
Like i said, it’s not as advanced but as long as it’s half as good, it’s worth the cost.
I believe the center differential you reference in the Audi is the transfer case in the Bronco. It's my opinion the 4A transfer case in the Bronco is more advance than the Audi. Not only does it offer "all wheel drive mode" like the Audi, it offers 4H lock, 2H and 4 low range all of which the Audi does not offer.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I believe the center differential you reference in the Audi is the transfer case in the Bronco. It's my opinion the 4A transfer case in the Bronco is more advance than the Audi. Not only does it offer "all wheel drive mode" like the Audi, it offers 4H lock, 2H and 4 low range all of which the Audi does not offer.
Audi's internal Torsen center differential was covered specifically and in great detail in the thread I linked to above (that neither of you bothered to read, yet keep talking on the topic vaguely without seeming understanding of how that system actually works, or how it compares to a modern hydraulically operated center differentials)

Audi's Quatro an antiquated design by today's standards, is heavy, and creates a very nose-heavy car due to the transmission being nearly ahead of the front axle.

Certainly worth a read to understand the systems you're talking about instead of referencing them blindly.

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Audi's internal Torsen center differential was covered specifically and in great detail in the thread I linked to above (that neither of you bothered to read, yet keep talking on the topic vaguely without seeming understanding of how that system actually works, or how it compares to a modern hydraulically operated center differentials)

Audi's Quatro an antiquated design by today's standards, is heavy, and creates a very nose-heavy car due to the transmission being nearly ahead of the front axle.

Certainly worth a read to understand the systems you're talking about instead of referencing them blindly.
"Audi's Quatro an antiquated design by today's standards"

I understand sir how the Quattro system works long before you pasted the link . My wife drives an Audi for the last several years. Now please compare the quote I pasted above that you said to the quote I"m pasting below that I said.

" It's my opinion the transfer case in the Bronco is more advanced than the Audi quattro" let's call that a paraphrase

Do you realize you agree with me?
Are you bored? I've read most of your post typically this is not characteristic of you.

Cheers mate

Reactions: Rpm

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
"Audi's Quatro an antiquated design by today's standards"

I understand sir how the Quattro system works long before you pasted the link . My wife drives an Audi for the last several years. Now please compare the quote I pasted above that you said to the quote I"m pasting below that I said.

" It's my opinion the transfer case in the Bronco is more advanced than the Audi quattro" let's call that a paraphrase

Do you realize you agree with me?
Are you bored? I've read most of your post typically this is not characteristic of you.

Cheers mate
Like Webasto, I can't please 100% of the customers 100% of the time. But at least my posts are worth the price of entry! (Free-99)

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought the high IP was a lie?
Correct…

…well, that is to say, there is no separate “High IP” in MY21…

…not sure what path we took to get there, but all IPs are the same across the board in that regard.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

How do you manage to be a dick in every post I see you in? You’re that one guy no one talks to at a party because you can’t stop from being an annoying know it all, aren’t you? Every comment I see of yours, you’re either talking down to the person or trying to play goalkeeper on the conversation. What’s up with that? Do you need someone to talk with?
Sponsored