Sponsored

Is ICON the only maker of hub centric 93.1 wheels?

Stinger1

Wildtrak
First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco x 3, 2022 Bronco x 2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just bought a set of Method wheels that came with pilot ring adaptors, but they adapt down to the wrong hub pilot bore size. The wheel bore is 106.25mm and the adaptor ring takes it down to 78.3mm which is too small to fit onto the Bronco 93.1mm hub bore pilot. I understand the difference between lug centric and hub centric... I know that hub centric is better, and my main concern is wheel balance once they are mounted. With such big heavy (35") wheel/tire assemblies approaching 100 pounds of rotating mass, if the wheel is off center by any amount, you will get a noticeable vibration on the highway, even if the wheel/tire is perfectly balanced on the machine.
Does anyone have experience using Method wheels on the Bronco, and did you use pilot rings, or just mount them up without the rings (letting the lug nuts do the centering)? Any issues with vibrations? If you used rings, did Method provide them, or did you purchase elsewhere?
I've contacted Method to ask about the rings that they provided with my set of wheels.. asking if they can supply 93.1mm rings instead of the 78mm that they sent.
The rings that they sent are just plastic.. perhaps these things can be 3D printed?? Not sure about the tolerance of any 3D printer though...
I just had a catastrophic failure with the Method MR307 wheel. Ford sells these brands of wheels at every dealership and installs them on their Broncos. I was driving 55-60 mph and the wheel studs sheared off and lost my right wheel. Ford is not covering it stating the wheel is 106.25 vs 93.1 even though they have serviced/rotated the tires the last 3 times.

I'm pretty livid and now I'm researching if these are hub/lug centric. The service manager asked me why I'm not using my insurance and I asked him why he's not using his. This is going to be a fun process.
Sponsored

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just had a catastrophic failure with the Method MR307 wheel. Ford sells these brands of wheels at every dealership and installs them on their Broncos. I was driving 55-60 mph and the wheel studs sheared off and lost my right wheel. Ford is not covering it stating the wheel is 106.25 vs 93.1 even though they have serviced/rotated the tires the last 3 times.

I'm pretty livid and now I'm researching if these are hub/lug centric. The service manager asked me why I'm not using my insurance and I asked him why he's not using his. This is going to be a fun process.
Sorry for your troubles!
Ford does not sell these wheels. A Ford dealer may, but not from/through Ford. Ford would never sell a wheel that wasn't hub centric from the factory.
Good luck getting this mess straightened out.

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Welcome to lube techs not using a torque wrench. I went with the extended thread lug nuts like they use on Toyota trucks for aftermarket wheels, I liked the additional thread engagement. The ET wouldn’t stop this from happening, but I specifically demand my lugnuts are hand torqued on the repair order.

Were you using hub centric adapter rings?

Stinger1

Wildtrak
First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco x 3, 2022 Bronco x 2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Welcome to lube techs not using a torque wrench. I went with the extended thread lug nuts like they use on Toyota trucks for aftermarket wheels, I liked the additional thread engagement. The ET wouldn’t stop this from happening, but I specifically demand my lugnuts are hand torqued on the repair order.
Exactly!! They're using a technicality to try to deflect to Method when in reality this was either over torqued or under torqued.

Wheelin72

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
To close the loop on my earlier post... I bought adaptor rings to make my Method wheels properly fit the hub bore, which were a nice slip fit without noticeable play. When I installed the wheel and torqued it down, the adaptor ring was "loose" between the wheel and the hub, such that it could slide back and forth and actually make a rattle noise. This means that the lugs nuts are in fact centering the wheel, so perfectly that the adaptor ring is not doing any of the centering at all. I decided to not use the rings to avoid them rattling around. I'm happy to say that I've put about 5000 miles on the wheels now, without rings, and there is no vibration at highway speeds.
I agree with the post which talks about the lug centering "fighting" the hub centering. Don't try to use a hub-centered wheel, which might get distorted when the lug nuts are tightened.

Sponsored

Lurker B6G

Outer Banks
First Name
Murph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Were you using hub centric adapter rings?

This is exaclty what (I think) happened.

The factory studs are either grade 8.8 or 10.9 (higher has more strength, but is more brittle). That would put the proper torque between 65 and 92 ft-lbs. I read somewhere 83.3 which seems reasonable. I have Method 701 (extended nuts and plastic hub spacer) and hand tighten myself to 80-85. This is NOT a lot of torque.

Ford Bronco Is ICON the only maker of hub centric 93.1 wheels? 1674833754913

Here is a typical impact wrench that would be lying on the floor at your dealership.

Ford Bronco Is ICON the only maker of hub centric 93.1 wheels? 1674833485188

Suprised that one of the studs was still left to get out of the door...

TRACKTOY

Badlands
First Name
ANDRÉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 LARIAT CREW C. 3.5L ÉCO 2022+ BRONCO BL.2023
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ICON and RTR are the only ones that I know of, at least.

RTR has given a sneak peak of their new wheel coming and it's decent looking, but I'm betting it's pushing 30+lbs per wheel, which is too heavy for my taste.
NO You forget ROUSH WHEELS are hub centric 93.1 and+30 mm offsett search you find SPÉCIALY FOR THE BRONCO.
TRACKTOY

TRACKTOY

Badlands
First Name
ANDRÉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 LARIAT CREW C. 3.5L ÉCO 2022+ BRONCO BL.2023
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

NO You forget ROUSH WHEELS are hub centric 93.1 and+25 mm offsett search you find SPÉCIALY FOR THE BRONCO.
TRACKTOY
https://www.roushperformance.com/me...eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/2/422302_01.jpg

Product highlights for the 2021+ Bronco 17-inch Iridium Grey Wheel:

• Unique ROUSH styling for your Bronco
  • Hub-centric wheel engineered to use OEM lug nuts
  • 17x8.5-inch wheel with +25mm offset
  • Durable Iridium Gray finish
  • Recommended Tire: 35” General Grabber X3 Mud Terrain
  • Fits: Stock Sasquatch tires or other tires fitted to same wheel size (17 x 8.5 +25 offset)
  • Wheel only
TRACKTOY

robo

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi hatch, CG 2022 Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Method MR 703 sold through Ford Performance is a hub centric wheel. It's sold exclusively through Ford Performance.
https://accessories.ford.com/products/bronco-2021-method-17x8-5-matte-black-wheel-kit-1
I was emailing Method after purchasing a set of the 705s from their site and not finding the correct sized hub-centric rings.
Their response:

"Your vehicles hubs are 93.1mm and our wheel is 106.25mm. The hub rings that come included with the wheels are 78.3mm to 106.25mm and are not meant for your vehicle. The 6x5.5 bolt pattern fits multiple vehicle applications and the hub rings included are for a few of those applications. We do offer both Lug Centric and Hub Centric wheels. Hub Centric rings are not necessary as all performance testing of our wheels is done with a lug centric installation (not hub centric/not with the aid of any hub centric ring) and strength is of no concern. I can understand the desire to use a hub centric ring, but I can assure you/you can assure them that the testing we have done proves that it isn’t required especially when paired with a set of conical lug nuts."

I'm still going to put on some hub rings.....They're cheap.
Sponsored