Sponsored

Is the Extended Service Plan (PremiumCare) a good value based on the Bronco service schedule?

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all,

With my Bronco finally in hand, looking at the extended warranty and service plans. The warranty is somewhat appealing from a risk mitigation factor. Pricing from Flood Ford is at little over $2K for 8 years and 100K miles. One major kablooey and the plan pays for itself. On the fence there, but leaning towards it as I keep my cars a long time and something invariably goes bad. and it is transferrable.

The extended maintenance plan is what I can't figure out. I looked at the maintenance schedule for the Bronco and other than oil changes every 5K miles (figure $100 each, but I haven't actually gotten a price quote, but that is what I pay from an indy for my BMW), so just the cost of oil changes is going to be $2K over 8 years/100K miles and that is basically the cost of the plan. Am I missing something other than the time/value of money?

I get the cabin air filter ($40?) at 20k miles, engine air filter at 30k miles (another $40), brake pads, but not rotors (so $200?) at or before 50K miles. not sure if a manual needs any fluid changes. Any belts and hoses get replaced, wiper blades will probably be replaced annually saving $20 (that is when I replace mine which about how long they last IMO). And I get free tire rotations every 5k miles (since I am not getting them from Discount Tire yet).

Seems like a decent, but not necessarily screaming deal. Has anyone penciled out the typical costs for Bronco maintenance for 100K miles? Did a search but didn't find anything.

To me, it needs to save 50% more than the current expected rate of maintenance to give them all my money now.

Appreciate it if someone has done the math on this.
Sponsored

SZairborne

Big Bend
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge charger GT AWD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I always go with the extended warranty. I usually do my own maintenance, so not needing the maintenance plan.

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Following... And where do you get the info for Flood Ford coverage?

Also, wasn't someone from @Granger Ford offering a better deal than Flood?

SubmarineNuke

Wildtrak
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twitch.tv
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

with this being a first year (2 years?) production run, the extended warranty is highly likely to pay for itself a couple of times over. I fully plan to get mine with the Wildtrak.

Maintenance...meh, I'm okay paying for maintenance when needed. I did the math on my Tundra when I bought it, and the cost of the plan wasn't worth it as I'd never recoup the costs in maintenance visits even letting the dealer do all the maintenance and if I hit exactly at the mile counters and got all of them in. But miss one because you pushed an extra few hundred miles for an oil change or something, and bam you're losing money.

TX-Hans

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Escalade, '13 Jeep Wrangler, '21 Bronco FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Following... And where do you get the info for Flood Ford coverage?

Also, wasn't someone from @Granger Ford offering a better deal than Flood?
The three main online competitors for the Ford extended warranty are Flood, Ziegler, and Granger. Flood and Zeigler have been doing it for a while and Granger recently jumped into the mix. Compare prices for each as sometimes one can be better than the other. I ended up using Zeigler since the price was slightly better, and I was able to use my Ford Pass points for part of the payment.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/

https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/

Sponsored

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The three main online competitors for the Ford extended warranty are Flood, Ziegler, and Granger. Flood and Zeigler have been doing it for a while and Granger recently jumped into the mix. Compare prices for each as sometimes one can be better than the other. I ended up using Zeigler since the price was slightly better, and I was able to use my Ford Pass points for part of the payment.

https://www.floodfordesp.com/

https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/
Much appreciated!

Happy

Black Diamond
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ5, Wagoneer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just to jump in here and say that we went with Flood extended warranty because they post pricing on line, they allow Ford points on line and their price was very good. Got signed up and never spoke to anyone because there was no need. Granger was harder.

OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
with this being a first year (2 years?) production run, the extended warranty is highly likely to pay for itself a couple of times over. I fully plan to get mine with the Wildtrak.

Maintenance...meh, I'm okay paying for maintenance when needed. I did the math on my Tundra when I bought it, and the cost of the plan wasn't worth it as I'd never recoup the costs in maintenance visits even letting the dealer do all the maintenance and if I hit exactly at the mile counters and got all of them in. But miss one because you pushed an extra few hundred miles for an oil change or something, and bam you're losing money.
So if you do your own maintenance, do you also rotate your own tires? I buy tires from Discount Tire, they do it for free and rebalance at the same time. Until this OE rubber is gone, not sure where to go get that done for free. Not really liking the idea of doing this on my own with 80lb tires. Passenger tires, fine, but not these mondo tires :)

OP
OP
tourproto

tourproto

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 BMW e46
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I priced out the cost of a K&N Cabin air filter ($40 and reusable) and engine air filter ($80 also reusable) . Both are simple enough to replace even I can do it.

Other than oil changes, brakes seem to be the only other thing to do before changing plugs at 100K miles. My guess a full brake job will be $800 or so with rotors. So still on the hook for wiper blades, and I guess belts as needed. But unless someone chimes in otherwise, does not look like it is worth giving Ford $1600-2000 for 8 years/100K miles of maintenance up front.

since the extended service plan does NOT cover the rotors, I don't think it will pencil out. If rotors were covered, I think it would be worthwhile even taking into account the "timeliness" issue of getting oil changes.

I still gotta figure out where to get the tire rotations done. I think a call into Discount Tire is due...

Extended warranty I am going to do.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

depends if you actually religiously use it and they dont upsell you other things while you are there, or convince you to get new tires/things from them.

bronco changes under normal use are 7.5-10k miles per. with the 1k initial change it comes to 12.5 changes at 100k. 550 to do yourself with the kit, 1k at a local shop, or 1500 from ford direct.

remember they will probably write it into the loan and make money there and invest that money to make more since you are paying up front. you may get an inflation benefit, but also a loss if you end up moving it for any reason before term.

service plans and extended warranties aren't a scam, but they do make a lot of money. odds of breaking even are low which is why everyone sells them on every product. imo you are better off taking that 2k and investing or putting into a low return savings account.

Sponsored

DoubleADuster

Black Diamond
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Ford Thunderbird
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

DoubleADuster

Black Diamond
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1963 Ford Thunderbird
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just to jump in here and say that we went with Flood extended warranty because they post pricing on line, they allow Ford points on line and their price was very good. Got signed up and never spoke to anyone because there was no need. Granger was harder.
Got mine from Granger today. I sent one email with what I wanted and my details, including my FordPass rewards number. They sent a price which was cheaper than flood, and I gave the go ahead. The sent the paperwork and payment link. It took a short email exchange and a total of 10 minutes.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I buy tires from Discount Tire, they do it for free and rebalance at the same time. Until this OE rubber is gone, not sure where to go get that done for free.
DiscountTire customer service is great. I had oem tires on my 135 and got a nail. They could see in the system I am their customer even though I didn’t buy those specific tires from them. They still plugged it for free. I’d chat with your local store and see what they’d charge to rotate/balance for you. If you have a history with them you might be pleasantly surprised.

tater_70

Wildtrak
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
64 Fairlane, 1973 Bronco, 75 F-100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Anderson & Koch out of Minnesota, I've had my last 3 extended warranties through them, great price.
[email protected]

Gotdesl

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Lombard Ford Warranty
Try here as well. They had both Flood and Ziegler beat when I was shopping. Granger didn't offer yet at that point.
Sponsored