Sponsored

Poor customer service at dealer’s service department.

Phil B

Wildtrak
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have had the best experiences with the sales team I work with at my dealership. But not so much at their service department. My last vehicle had warranty issues, and I had to leave it with them for weeks before they could even look at it. Once, they kept it forever, and the problem turned out to be
a connector did not get plugged in during the previous visit. (A 15 minute fix.)

I had a wiring harness installed on my Bronco and went to a Lincoln dealer to avoid the delays. (Got five star treatment.)

Today, I am having my first oil change where I purchase my vehicles. The only reason I am here is because they sent me a coupon to get it done for free and it expires today. The service advisor tried to convince me that I did not need the service because I am at 1000 miles and a break in oil change is not required. He then proceeded to be very condescending and treated my like a idiot when I told him I wanted it anyway.

I have done business here for decades. It didn’t used to be like this. I know one of the service advisors fairly well. Last time I talked to him I could tell there were things he wanted to say, but he wouldn’t. Almost like he felt someone was listening.

Anyone else having experiences like this?
Sponsored

Alfa

Wildtrak
First Name
Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't know if people realize that the service writers are commissioned employees. They make money by selling you service. Warranty service is good, but pays less than retail services.

The key to getting good service is to figure out which service writer to use. Ask you sales person. If you like your service writer, always go back to them. Having a good service writer is like having a good dentist. You want to be able to trust that they will tell you what you really need to do today, especially if you are out of warranty and paying yourself, rather than wondering if you really have 3 cavities again...

That being said, it doesn't always work perfectly. Right now, by Wildtrak is spending day 4 at the dealership having some accessories installed and an oil change that should have taken 2-3 hours total. My appointment was schedules weeks ago.

We live in interesting times.

straycatboat

Base
First Name
rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco 2023
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yea, my local Ford dealer service center is a condescending ass also

ssmegapunish

Wildtrak
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2022 Lightning, 2021 F350DRW
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Dealership and service is an oxymoron. I only use them for warranty service and only if parts are needed (like my broken 360 camera). Dollars and time ahead to do it yourself. The most annoying aspect of dealer service is having an appointment and they might get to it several days later or don't have a part that they know they'll need for an issue ahead of time. Another downside is theft - my vehicles are empty when I take them in - too many bad experiences in the past.

Sponsored

BadlandsA51

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands, Sasquatch, Lux Pkg, 72 Ranchero GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are a number of challenges for dealer service departments right now. The number one challenge is a serious lack of technicians. There has been a shortage of good technicians for close to 20 years, but now there is a real shortage of technicians of any quality level. Technical colleges are having a difficult time recruiting students to train to be technicians. Nobody wants to do this kind of job anymore, and the need for quality people to do them is increasing exponentially as vehicles get more complex. And, vehicles are getting MUCH more complex at an alarming rate.
Not making excuses for poor service, just giving a view from the other side.

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man do I feel lucky then. I choose a dealer ship based on the service department. If I have a crappy sales man so what I deal with them once and done for a few years, but the service department I might have to deal with more times then not in those few years.

My service writer knows my name when I pull in. I treat all of them like friends. I joke with them etc.

The other day I was out for a drive and figured why not stop by. I stopped in with the top and doors off, parked out of the way. Walked in and complained of a loud wind noise and my doors won't lock. The service writer said " you should have bought it here", and walked out to have a look at my issues. He started laughing, and called the manger out to see what they could do for me.

I call for an appointment I get a loaner if needed. If I have family in from out of state and they need an oil change, I can drop it off and they will make sure it gets done that day.

Treat the service writers the way you would like to be treated, and they will treat you that way as well. Be an A-- they will be an A--. Treat them like friends and they will treat you like friends.

marktwain2001

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
My stealerships service manager as he was explaining to me he could not hire qualified people started telling me how his washer and dryer were really complicated and cars had gotten the same way. Tallahassee Ford is 3 months out on warranty service and when you get there dont plan on having it completed correctly. Last thing I just paid a shop out of pocket. Im moving forward assuming Ford is not honoring its warranty and this is my last Ford.

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands w/ sasquatch pkg - Carbonized Grey
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is every service department at any brand.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I stopped in with the top and doors off, parked out of the way. Walked in and complained of a loud wind noise and my doors won't lock
Dude Dad jokes his service dept ... LOL , gotta love it!!!

Sponsored

BroncoA512021

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My Bronco is my fist American car since I had my 1979 Ford Fairmont. The first time I brought my Bronco in for service I was reminded why I did not buy American in 42 years. The service at "foreign" car dealers is superior.... I do not miss my BMW low profile "run flat" tires, but I do miss the superior BMW service.

cashe3

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Santa Fe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

To say the service department at my purchasing dealership sucks, well that's an insult to sucks.

CarGuy

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is every service department at any brand.
Not every dealership is bad. The Mercedes dealership I’ve been dealing with for 30+ years is fantastic - both buying and service experience. But these unicorn dealerships are hard to find. Have yet to find a trustworthy Ford dealer in my area.

Heavy_GD

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 OBX non Lux
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The coupon is the first red flag.

first-time-james-franco.gif
Sponsored