Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Google
Tibus Pirate 4x4

I’m old enough and was a pirate 4x4 member long enough back to remember when those posts were NEW.
Im sure they are better than then, the question is HOW MUCH.
I would love more details.

What year?
Specifics of problems?

I have searched and searched with no avail. I truly want to know so that I can answer what is different then from now. I will say these have evolved a lot and the current competition is still working off from old versions and will also need to learn the problems as Tibus did.
Sponsored

OP
OP
tmason10

tmason10

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree 8 bolts is unnecessary, I am glad that they are (according to their site) retaining the 6 bolt pattern. My point was that if you were going to change the bolt pattern, 5 bolt would make little sense, and at least with an 8 bolt you have a huge selection of HD offroad wheels to choose from, not that the 8 bolts are necessary.

Thanks for clarification. The design from Tibus is same as Bronco 6 bolt pattern. The stock wheels will mount up and be ready for bigger tire without need for additional offset. We are going to be carrying our own private labeled CTS capable wheel as well. Coming soon. these will have a positive 65 millimeters this will bring the width back only 2inches further out than stock. This allows perfect for bigger tire without to much poke

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would love more details.

What year?
Specifics of problems?

I have searched and searched with no avail. I truly want to know so that I can answer what is different then from now. I will say these have evolved a lot and the current competition is still working off from old versions and will also need to learn the problems as Tibus did.
https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=tibus+pirate4x4

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Did you miss me? :)
Not enough to friend you on Facebook

Google
Tibus Pirate 4x4

I’m old enough and was a pirate 4x4 member long enough back to remember when those posts were NEW.
Im sure they are better than then, the question is HOW MUCH.
Pirate4x4
https://www.pirate4x4.com/threads/lr-defender-130cc-the-rhino.865657/

Expedition Portal
https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/an-expedition-truck-on-portals.37713/

Evolved into 3 gears
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/portal-axle-conversion.405140/

Failure
https://www.aulro.com/afvb/technical-chatter/185710-portals.html

I will remember a few threads that got deleted along the way due to Tibus becoming a pirate4x4 sponsor to buy censorship. This was during the transitional period and why Expedition Portal thread still exists. The firework threads I think are gone. For a while Tibus was trying to sell portals to IH8Mud toyota community with zero luck as Volvo 303 became easier to get. Tibus likes to throw lawn darts and see who they can sucker in.

Our first set of six are in route and we will be installing and showing the capabilities very soon.
Don't pay up front.

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pirate4x4

Expedition Portal
https://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/an-expedition-truck-on-portals.37713/

Evolved into 3 gears

Failure

I will remember a few threads that got deleted along the way due to Tibus becoming a pirate4x4 sponsor to buy censorship. This was during the transitional period and why Expedition Portal thread still exists. The firework threads I think are gone. For a while Tibus was trying to sell portals to IH8Mud toyota community with zero luck as Volvo 303 became easier to get. Tibus likes to throw lawn darts and see who they can sucker in.

Don't pay up front.
Remember tibus bead locks? Daniel at usa6x6? Took me 2 years to clear up THAT mistake… never pay upfront

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well Im sorry to hear that. What information were we lacking Ill be glad to fill in the blanks.
Sorry for sounding a little harsh, but I was really interested more in Lonestar's build, but he didn't seem to wana really talk about it tech wise, and most of what he said sounded either untrue, or at least, needed more explanation. So 1st off he admitted that they don't have a workaround for the missing PSCM...ok, I get that, and I don't think anybody would at this point, but he followed that up w/"complete abs delete"...ok, that got my attention cause the 4600 teams have struggled w/that one, but in his next sentence he says his speedo is accurate? I gotta know how that is possible! Not saying its not true, just wana know how its possible...or is the answer proprietary?

EDIT: Not asking how to recalibrate it...I know how to do that...asking how it can possibly work at all?

Last edited:

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Remember tibus bead locks? Daniel at usa6x6? Took me 2 years to clear up THAT mistake… never pay upfront
USA6x6 was an internet disaster, at least BroncBozo.com ships your orders.

OP
OP
tmason10

tmason10

Badlands
First Name
BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Pirate4x4

Expedition Portal

Evolved into 3 gears

Failure

Don't pay up front.

Ill use the reply from Tibus (see Below). It makes since that in 20 years things have greatly evolved! In fact when I watch what Elon Musk is doing I greatly admire and follow the approach of "fail Forward"

Ford Bronco Join Us For a Live Discussion: IFS vs. Solid Axle Swap 1553607697489

"Robert Kranz aka "Oilworker" oe "Oily"

Ford Bronco Join Us For a Live Discussion: IFS vs. Solid Axle Swap mRizdzi20qIlRmOY (1)
Ford Bronco Join Us For a Live Discussion: IFS vs. Solid Axle Swap 0BBxL93qvyfo0cNa (2)

was the first to mount the prototypes of our portals on his Defender 130. He took part in various competitions such as the Breslau Rally, Africa Eco race, Dakar Rallye, Polar circle and many more
and had no damage to the portals. When he drove into a stone wall at 50 km/h in Africa, the front axle was bent and the axle guides on the frame were torn off,
but the portals were undamaged. He drove 2,500 km back to us with the bent axle, where we then replaced the axle and repaired the frame.
Robert has covered 250,000 km with the car with portals without changing the portals. He had posted his experiences in the expedition portal.
As already mentioned, these were the first prototypes of portals. The later changes affect the housing material, the material of the gears, changed bearings, stronger wheel bearings, other shafts and CV's.
The only problems on the prototypes were oil leaks. With the new design, these problems have been fixed.

We also changed the wheel bearings from the Chevrolet k2500 unit bearings to significantly larger Mercedes Atego truck wheel bearings.
Except for the basic construction, everything in the current generation has actually been changed and improved.
We carefully monitor where problems may arise and then promptly make the necessary changes.

We can now look back on more than 15 years of experience with more than 500 vehicles equipped with portal axles and more than 7 million kilometers driven.

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gotta spoon feed it sometimes. It baffles me when newcomers to the business side of the 4x4 world haven't dug through the endless discussions on some of the other older forums. A couple of dedicated days of reading through old pirate4x4, ih8mud, irate4x4, tacoworld, etc.

If Tyler had honest answers for the past documented fiascos and engineering changes it would be best to really address those right off the bat and very clearly. Not this political style circular deflection style of speaking. Its not confidence inspiring that a new distributer is hearing about a companies past fiascos from new potential customers. It shows that no independent research was done on Tibus before getting sold the moon.

Personally, I am wary of anyone that admires Elon's approach to engineering. It basically guarantees that the product will be slightly innovative but also late, more expensive, shoddy QA, impossible to service, and always promised far more than delivered.

Sponsored

Exodus4x4

Big Bend
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Bubba
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Very good questions. Once we actually see on the road with 74 weld we will see. Yes speculation based on Knowledge and education of what happens with straight cut gears. There is a reason all modern transmissions use Helical gears and not straight cut. I have never sated any claims about 74. If they have somehow figured that out that is awesome. My research is only to educate on the differences.

Also I agree 74 weld has tried and true Race application. This is not our customer base. We strive to give the best of both worlds. Clearance, Gearing while maintaining ride quality and geometry. To date its been my research nobody has been able to accomplish all of this expect TIBUS.

PS your 30 minutes from my house Id love to come meet you in person I have heard very good things about you and your shop.
Sure, I’m at the shop most days so you’re welcome to stop by.

OP
OP
tmason10

tmason10

Badlands
First Name
BroncBuster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Gotta spoon feed it sometimes. It baffles me when newcomers to the business side of the 4x4 world haven't dug through the endless discussions on some of the other older forums. A couple of dedicated days of reading through old pirate4x4, ih8mud, irate4x4, tacoworld, etc.

If Tyler had honest answers for the past documented fiascos and engineering changes it would be best to really address those right off the bat and very clearly. Not this political style circular deflection style of speaking. Its not confidence inspiring that a new distributer is hearing about a companies past fiascos from new potential customers. It shows that no independent research was done on Tibus before getting sold the moon.

Personally, I am wary of anyone that admires Elon's approach to engineering. It basically guarantees that the product will be slightly innovative but also late, more expensive, shoddy QA, impossible to service, and always promised far more than delivered.
Yhen y

I’ll say anyone that can’t look at an innovator like Tibus and see the evolution to success concerns me far more. Tibus made me fully aware of past designs and the evolution of were they are today. I’ll tell you what enjoy the others on the market that are still working of concepts from the second generation Tibus portal. And yes I very much look up to innovators like Musk! These are the people that change the world!
Ford Bronco Join Us For a Live Discussion: IFS vs. Solid Axle Swap IMG_1157

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Maxxoffroad

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sorry for sounding a little harsh, but I was really interested more in Lonestar's build, but he didn't seem to wana really talk about it tech wise, and most of what he said sounded either untrue, or at least, needed more explanation. So 1st off he admitted that they don't have a workaround for the missing PSCM...ok, I get that, and I don't think anybody would at this point, but he followed that up w/"complete abs delete"...ok, that got my attention cause the 4600 teams have struggled w/that one, but in his next sentence he says his speedo is accurate? I gotta know how that is possible! Not saying its not true, just wana know how its possible...or is the answer proprietary?

EDIT: Not asking how to recalibrate it...I know how to do that...asking how it can possibly work at all?
They have sensor in the transmission and the axles are geared to the correct ratio for tire height.
Sponsored