Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburu Outback
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Looks great installed. Installed lock for this and then about to install lock for Red shackle. Those seem to walk away allot.

20231005_100952.jpg
Sponsored

BLTN

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands; '95 Jeep XJ; '05 F-350; '07 Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't understand why people leave removable shackles on when not in use. If you stowe it, it won't "walk away."
Cool factor?...or, in my case - laziness.
Mine are beat-up bare steel and not that attractive anyway...

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A couple years ago, someone at work left theirs in. When parking, he backed into a space and the ball went under a wire that went around the lot. He was one of those run to be first out of the lot guys so it wasn't pretty when he wrecked a bunch of cars at the end of the day, mine included.

Dubsesd

Big Bend
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Ford F-150, 06 Roush Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I don't understand why people leave removable shackles on when not in use. If you stowe it, it won't "walk away."
one less step to do when you need it? Also not that it takes up much space but if you leave it installed you don’t have to worry about storing it. To each their own.

Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

one less step to do when you need it? Also not that it takes up much space but if you leave it installed you don’t have to worry about storing it. To each their own.
Here they would turn to rust and be permanently welded into the hitch.

One thing though with the spare on the rear, you would not have to worry about smacking your shin on it unless the door was open. ;)

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Here they would turn to rust and be permanently welded into the hitch.

One thing though with the spare on the rear, you would not have to worry about smacking your shin on it unless the door was open. ;)
Every single time I tow my popup up to go camping, this is exactly my life.

Dead shins. Every. Time.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Every single time I tow my popup up to go camping, this is exactly my life.

Dead shins. Every. Time.
Even worse if you keep your ball greased. Been there, done that.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
My hitch with a 3 1/2" drop just clears, how is that 3 ball mount with zero drop usable?

Sponsored

PC Austin

Badlands
First Name
paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep liberty
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just say no to hitch recovery points. They aren't safe and you can kill someone.
Are you referring to ball hitch recovery point or any hitch recovery point? Wouldn't these be safer with the proper care?
Ford Bronco Just put this shackle on 1696539068812

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Are you referring to ball hitch recovery point or any hitch recovery point? Wouldn't these be safer with the proper care?
1696539068812.png
The tow hitch on any vehicle is designed for towing and attaches to a lateral frame member. The forces incurred in towing is different than that of a snatch to overcome a vehicle stuck (mud having the greatest suction force to overcome). You want the force used in such a recovery to be applied to a recovery point that is a part of the longitudinal frame member.

It was just a week ago that a recovery went wrong at the Ol' Florida offroad park. Landcruiser was stuck and recovery was attempted from the tow hitch. In a split second, the entire hitch carrier was torn off the LC and sling-shot into the rear gate of the recovery vehicle. People standing around in the kill zone unknowing the danger that they exposed themselves and their loved one too. In that split second, the carrier could have easily killed them.

Ford Bronco Just put this shackle on 1696540435901

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Makes sense. Terrifying. So many mistakes happened there. They are very lucky.
The video was quite dramatic. No way to post it here as it was posted in a private group. Not much to see other than hearing the rev of the recovery engine and the loud cavernous smash of the carrier hitting the gate. That carrier would have severed limbs of those standing around as quick as it happened.

People need to understand that the phrase "kill zone" is not being melodramatic. In this incident, it very well could have been deadly.

But to get back to the point of hitch recovery points, just use the intended recovery point a few inches to the left or right. If you don't have a hitch recovery point, you'll never be tempted to use it.
Sponsored