First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands/sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To the original OP. This factory hitch is rated for 350lbs tongue weight and 3500lbs trailer weight. I would not use your setup for anything much for recovery. If you think it looks cool then DWMYH. Jim. P.S. Crawl under the back and take a look, you'll see. I'm surprised it's rated as high as it is.
Sponsored

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If the concern is recovery points mounted to a lateral frame member, does also make the recovery points welded to aftermarket rear bumpers also suspect? My understanding is that the bumpers themselves are bolted to lateral frame members as opposed to longitudinal frame members.

Also, if the OEM rear recovery points should only be used once, how do you go about beefing up the recovery points so that they can be dependable? Is there a particular product that is recommended? Thanks.
IMO, I'm not trusting a Tulsa Welding School graduate who's first job is to churn out bumpers with welded recovery points on the surface of the bumper. I've seen them fail and have seen fancy bumpers torn off. Now, those suppliers that do opt for that design need to show the reinforcement behind those points and how they are tied back to the frame. Otherwise, tits on a bull...

Now, if you want to see a proper recovery point incorporated in the bumper, look at SRQ's Dual Swing-Out Carrier bumper. Ignore the fancy carriers and just look at the recovery points that are mounted directly to the longitudinal rail and pass through the bumper. They are a thing of beauty.

With regards to recovery techniques, there are hand-on courses that you can attend. If you have a local group, then set aside some of the planned wheeling time for actual practicing recovery techniques. Create scenarios, form an action plan, hold after-action reviews, and everyone benefits.

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are a couple of threads on here about bent front frame horns. Search for @Tricky Dick’s experience. He also has frame horn reinforcement brackets available from his shop. I’ve got them. Lobo Off-road also has frame horn reinforcements.

Good discussion on risks of using a tow hitch for recovery, especially from sticky mud. Think I’ll stick with using the OEM recovery loops with a tree saver to triangulate.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There are a couple of threads on here about bent front frame horns. Search for @Tricky Dick’s experience. He also has frame horn reinforcement brackets available from his shop. I’ve got them. Lobo Off-road also has frame horn reinforcements.

Good discussion on risks of using a tow hitch for recovery, especially from sticky mud. Think I’ll stick with using the OEM recovery loops with a tree saver to triangulate.
Yeah, I think @Tricky Mike had the same issue too. Such a coincidence!

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sponsored

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If the concern is recovery points mounted to a lateral frame member, does also make the recovery points welded to aftermarket rear bumpers also suspect? My understanding is that the bumpers themselves are bolted to lateral frame members as opposed to longitudinal frame members.

Also, if the OEM rear recovery points should only be used once, how do you go about beefing up the recovery points so that they can be dependable? Is there a particular product that is recommended? Thanks.
Monster Hook, a sponsor here, makes a solid metal replacement for the OE recovery point on the rear of the Bronco. I just got some, need to bolt them up. They are for designed for soft shackle and bolt directly to the longitudinal frame area.

Ford Bronco Just put this shackle on 1696876143635

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The tow hitch on any vehicle is designed for towing and attaches to a lateral frame member. The forces incurred in towing is different than that of a snatch to overcome a vehicle stuck (mud having the greatest suction force to overcome). You want the force used in such a recovery to be applied to a recovery point that is a part of the longitudinal frame member.

It was just a week ago that a recovery went wrong at the Ol' Florida offroad park. Landcruiser was stuck and recovery was attempted from the tow hitch. In a split second, the entire hitch carrier was torn off the LC and sling-shot into the rear gate of the recovery vehicle. People standing around in the kill zone unknowing the danger that they exposed themselves and their loved one too. In that split second, the carrier could have easily killed them.

Ford Bronco Just put this shackle on 1696876143635

The hitch is as reinforced as the front recovery hooks. Hell, most aftermarket bumpers attach the the same points that secure the actual hitch. I have not had this bumper off, but the Tacoma uses the same 4 bolts for the hitch and aftermarket bumpers. The factory bumper only secures to the hitch itself. The pic above wasn't a hitch failure, it was a mounting point failure and I'd be interested to see that up close. There is always danger in recovery. I have no issues using a good hitch mount recovery point.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

https://l2sfbc.com/drop-hitch-failure-leads-to-death-during-4x4-recovery/

Some good reading. ^^^^

This is the hitch type failure that most are reffering to, as well as the incidents where the ball shears off and gets sling shotted into somebody's face at 200mph.

Also, cross tying the frame recovery points using a tree saver can cause them to bend in towards each other.
If I were to do that, I'd want two identical straps as long as reasonably possible to decrease the angle, otherwise using one and trying to get straight on with it is obviously the best scenario.
If you are applying so much force you are concerned with pulling a ladder style frame out of square, you probably need to stop and reassess the situation and probably re-rig.

Ford Bronco Just put this shackle on 1696906251277

Ford Bronco Just put this shackle on 1696906291655

Ford Bronco Just put this shackle on 1696906319295

Ford Bronco Just put this shackle on 1696906345808

RowsKing

Raptor
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BRaptor, 66 Stang
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Fords 2 piece recovery point isn’t even completely welded. Just on the side you can see. Not sure how much you should trust that.

IMG_0218.jpeg

IMG_0217.jpeg

fourdayoff

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands/sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
JR, thank you for the pics. I will be welding the backside. Jim.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fords 2 piece recovery point isn’t even completely welded. Just on the side you can see. Not sure how much you should trust that.

Ford Bronco Just put this shackle on IMG_0217

I'm guessing that Ford doesn't publish the weight ratings on any of the recovery points?

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was not the best example for a lot of the new people with me, as I did not have a damper on the line, and at one point I placed myself in the danger zone.
We all can learn a bit more.
Isn't a line damper preferred but not required for a synthetic line?

RowsKing

Raptor
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BRaptor, 66 Stang
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I'm guessing that Ford doesn't publish the weight ratings on any of the recovery points?
There is no rating on the factory recovery loops.

RowsKing

Raptor
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BRaptor, 66 Stang
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

JR, thank you for the pics. I will be welding the backside. Jim.
I went with Monster Hooks Inc soft shackle loops.
Quality solid one piece product.

IMG_1452.jpeg

IMG_1450.jpeg

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Isn't a line damper preferred but not required for a synthetic line?
Not required but a few reasons why I should have:

1) Most of that group were very green. If I'm being watched and people taking notes on how to do things, as a responsible "teacher" I should show them the right way. If they don't see a damper used and ask "what is that for?" They may not even know about them or when needed...If one of that group gets a steel cabled winch and is unaware of what a damper does... Boils down to being a good role model. Show people the correct way if you are in that position of others watching what you do and how you do it.

2) granted a synthetic line should/would just snap and fall to the ground if the failure is the line itself between the two vehicles/tree/etc. However, if the failure is the shackle or recovery point at the end, technically it could still whip back and basically be a projectile due to the energy/force.

Probably best case to be more safe than sorry. And regardless, I should not have been so caught up in getting it done I was not a good teacher to those watching me.
It didn't even dawn on me until I watched the videos and pics of the recovery back at home.
Sponsored