T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The tow hitch on any vehicle is designed for towing and attaches to a lateral frame member. The forces incurred in towing is different than that of a snatch to overcome a vehicle stuck (mud having the greatest suction force to overcome). You want the force used in such a recovery to be applied to a recovery point that is a part of the longitudinal frame member.

It was just a week ago that a recovery went wrong at the Ol' Florida offroad park. Landcruiser was stuck and recovery was attempted from the tow hitch. In a split second, the entire hitch carrier was torn off the LC and sling-shot into the rear gate of the recovery vehicle. People standing around in the kill zone unknowing the danger that they exposed themselves and their loved one too. In that split second, the carrier could have easily killed them.

1696540435901.jpeg
I’m curious. Matt’s off-road recovery always uses a hitch mounted recovery point on their vehicles (the recovering vehicle). The vehicles being recovered usually use factory recovery points (often front shackles or to the front axle of passenger cars)

So are you saying a hitch mount should never be used as a recovering point?

In this example - scary indeed - where the LC hitch came off, I presume it would have come off if used as a recovering or as a recovered vehicle. Were the hitch mount bolts old/some missing?

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m curious. Matt’s off-road recovery always uses a hitch mounted recovery point on their vehicles (the recovering vehicle). The vehicles being recovered usually use factory recovery points (often front shackles or to the front axle of passenger cars)

In this example - scary indeed - where the LC hitch came off, I presume it would have come off if used as a recovering or as a recovered vehicle. Were the hitch mount bolts old/some missing?
Watch this video.

murphtron

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2013 Toyota Highlander, 2000 Miata
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Watch this video.
I watched. That’s all about not using a ball hitch for recovery’s which makes total sense. My understanding, unless I misunderstood, is the entire hitch on the LC being recovered was ripped off the frame. The picture looks like the rope is attached to a recovery shackle mounted on the hitch. I think anyway. Hard to tell.

Sponsored

Peter Gosenya

Badlands
First Name
Gabe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just say no to hitch recovery points. They aren't safe and you can kill someone.
Especially the one in this photo. Looks like whatever is holding that shackle would snap right off.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Generally when you see professionals using the hitch for recovery, it's because their hitches are well reinforced and built to take that load.

If they use them on the vehicle being recovered, they generally are only winching it. They wouldn't use that for sudden shock loads.

Buying a 30,000lb rated soft shackle to attach it to something not also rated for that effort won't end up well. I'd really wish more bronco owners would share them building up their recovery points. The factory ones can be used, but maybe just once. If you want to use them over and over again, you should be beefing them up.

Last edited:

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That is the danger of watching Matt's YT. One comes away with techniques that shouldn't be used by most. Such professionals have overbuilt recovery points and aren't using a Curt tow hitch mounted to a lateral frame member that isn't reinforced.

Now, can a hitch mounted recovery point be used for a recovery via winch? Sure. Still need to dampen the winch line in the event of failure. The force incurred isn't the same as the sudden force multiplied with kinetic rope. I'm of the firm believer that if you don't have it, you'll never be tempted to use it. Instead use the factory recovery point that is attached to the longitudinal frame member.

And to the question regarding the LC, it was the entire hitch carrier that was torn off. The LC was stuck in the Butthole which is a mud pit at the end of the Gator Crossing trail. The area opens up into a gladiator-like viewing area where those stupid enough try to impress others. 9 out of 10 always need recovery. It is dangerous the area and really serves no purpose other than for other's entertainment. I don't know what the condition of the LC's factory recovery points were.

SkiRig

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi A5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If the concern is recovery points mounted to a lateral frame member, does also make the recovery points welded to aftermarket rear bumpers also suspect? My understanding is that the bumpers themselves are bolted to lateral frame members as opposed to longitudinal frame members.

Also, if the OEM rear recovery points should only be used once, how do you go about beefing up the recovery points so that they can be dependable? Is there a particular product that is recommended? Thanks.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
If the concern is recovery points mounted to a lateral frame member, does also make the recovery points welded to aftermarket rear bumpers also suspect? My understanding is that the bumpers themselves are bolted to lateral frame members as opposed to longitudinal frame members.

Also, if the OEM rear recovery points should only be used once, how do you go about beefing up the recovery points so that they can be dependable? Is there a particular product that is recommended? Thanks.

Yes, unless the manufacturer specifically refers to them as recovery points, I wouldn't go yanking on that. There are plenty of videos on youtube of Jeeps with their fancy bumpers getting ripped off their mounts.

Generally you want to make sure you have solid steel things are bolted to, reinforcing that steel where it makes sense—and triangulating the forces as much as possible. That may mean connecting two frame rails together with a box to prevent the frame from twisting under the forces. I haven't seen just the front frame horns on the bronco to know if they could hold things themselves or need some reinforcement.

Sponsored

SkiRig

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi A5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes, unless the manufacturer specifically refers to them as recovery points, I wouldn't go yanking on that. There are plenty of videos on youtube of Jeeps with their fancy bumpers getting ripped off their mounts.

Generally you want to make sure you have solid steel things are bolted to, reinforcing that steel where it makes sense—and triangulating the forces as much as possible. That may mean connecting two frame rails together with a box to prevent the frame from twisting under the forces. I haven't seen just the front frame horns on the bronco to know if they could hold things themselves or need some reinforcement.
Thank you for your reply. Follow up question - is it generally a good idea to try and connect to both rear OEM recovery points at the same time when recovering or being recovered? My thinking is perhaps using a tree saver strap through both recovery loops and then a soft shackle on that strap connected to the snatch strap/recovery rope. Would this be sensible or an idiot idea? I have never been stuck enough to be recovered so all I really have to go on is based on Youtube videos I've seen, and the knowledge shared on forums like this.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for your reply. Follow up question - is it generally a good idea to try and connect to both rear OEM recovery points at the same time when recovering or being recovered? My thinking is perhaps using a tree saver strap through both recovery loops and then a soft shackle on that strap connected to the snatch strap/recovery rope. Would this be sensible or an idiot idea? I have never been stuck enough to be recovered so all I really have to go on is based on Youtube videos I've seen, and the knowledge shared on forums like this.
This is not a bad idea, as it spreads the load and force to both rails (theoretically evenly). As long as that recovery pull is mainly straight-on.

Sure, two always seems better than one. And in most cases is.

If for nothing else, if one fails, the hopes would be that the other holds on enough to register in the brain that something went south and to stop the pull before the other went into orbit.

The physics of winching is pretty cool and in-depth once you get to studying it. Like how you can double, triple, etc. the pulling force of your winch in certain configurations.

SkiRig

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Audi A5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is not a bad idea, as it spreads the load and force to both rails (theoretically evenly). As long as that recovery pull is mainly straight-on.

Sure, two always seems better than one. And in most cases is.

If for nothing else, if one fails, the hopes would be that the other holds on enough to register in the brain that something went south and to stop the pull before the other went into orbit.

The physics of winching is pretty cool and in-depth once you get to studying it. Like how you can double, triple, etc. the pulling force of your winch in certain configurations.
Excellent. Thanks so much for your reply! Learning about the dangers of things like recovering from the tow hitch is the best thing about this site.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As an example of recovery, I had to winch this F150 up out of a muddy and slick rut, turn him completely around, and his mud-slicked tires and 2wd offered no help.
I had to angle off of a tree to start the movement after a couple of failed attempts to get him on his way.
the first attempts got him back on-trail, but any attempted steering or movement sent him falling right back into the ruts off the side.
In the end I had to resort to pulling the rear end sideways to get him turned facing away, as continuing to try and come toward us was not going to work.
Trail was uphill, slick, and conditions far worse behind us than what he encountered to get where he was.
Nervous the whole time. Because I think we need to be nervous.
Nervous enough that we are scared of a failure, nervous enough to try and take precautions the best we can.
And nervous enough to know when to call it and not let your desire to help end up being a costly mistake.
In this case I had equipment that was overly rated, people mostly out of the zone of danger, and the hood up on my Bronco as at least some deflective barrier just in case.
I was not the best example for a lot of the new people with me, as I did not have a damper on the line, and at one point I placed myself in the danger zone.
We all can learn a bit more.
Ford Bronco Just put this shackle on IMG_6077

fourdayoff

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands/sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you bend a frame rail on these newer vehicles they cannot be straightened, they will break. Ask a "knowledgeable" body shop. There is a company on here that sells a reinforcement kit for the front frame rails just for bumper mounted winches and flat towing that is a very good idea. Not sure about rear reinforcement but could be a good idea also. Jim.
Sponsored