Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm old school and I'm used to carrying a key with me. I think the keypad is going to be one of those accessories I invest in. Handy because sometimes I need access to my truck but didn't bring my key outside with me.
Sponsored

ab_slack

Black Diamond
First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Explorer and 87 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What I heard for the bronco is that the keypad is not hard mounted and wired, but is wireless and simply stuck on the surface. I really love the keypad on my explorer which is built into the car, but this tack-on method where someone could pry it off and walk away seems problematical to me.

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just wanted to jump on the bandwagon for the ways in which I miss the keypad since trading my F-150 and look forward to having it back on the Bronco:
  • I don't like bulky stuff in my pockets if I'm wearing dress pants (which I do in my job) so I love leaving the fob in there.
  • Go out in the evening to get something and forget the fob? No problem.
  • Running in somewhere in the winter and want to leave the vehicle running? Easy to do.
  • We tailgate at football games - the entire family has the entry code, which means whoever is first back to the vehicle after the game can get it opened up and crack a cold one.
  • If I ever need to leave the vehicle for someone I trust to pick up, I can give them the code.
Just a few examples!

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What I heard for the bronco is that the keypad is not hard mounted and wired, but is wireless and simply stuck on the surface. I really love the keypad on my explorer which is built into the car, but this tack-on method where someone could pry it off and walk away seems problematical to me.
Who is going to pry off a keypad and take off? Ford has been doing this with several vehicles for a few years now and I've never heard of it happening.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So your problem with the ugly wireless keypad is someone wanting to steal a $75 keypad, and not the fact it’s ugly and has horrible battery life?

Sponsored

goalie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Why not just turn the truck off? Press one button and get out, get back in and press one button. seems easier than locking your keys in a running vehicle just to go get your smokes.

Jjt24

First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Oh, ya I'm well aware. The Bronco keypad is a wireless stick on. I find it a very ugly wart, there is no way I am going to put it on the door. I will probably buy one and stick it in the fuel door for emergencies.
Told my salesman to go ahead and add it on and I will take it off and put it in the fuel door since it looks horrible. He said they would order it separately that way I don't have to deal with residue from removal.

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sometimes I just don’t understand you whippersnappers. It isn’t like you need a hand truck to bring your key or fob into your home. There is absolutely no upside to leaving the key or fob in the vehicle.
I'm also not a whippersnapper, but when I go boating, sailing, hiking, scuba diving, kayaking, grabbing a coffee, or even when I'm wearing a nice suit, a key is dumb to carry. I had a jeep rental key stolen in Aruba. Cost me $330 US.

I wish a similar keypad was displayed on the center stack screen after entry for verification. Key fobs were cool in the 90's. Give me a retina scan or an embedded NFC chip in my thumb, that's 2021!

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I assure you, there is no need to worry about someone stealing your keypad.

If you are really worried, and/or don't like the look of it, just re-stick it to the inside of your gas cap:

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/first-mod-moved-keypad-to-gas-door-and-a-simple-fix.25149/

Ford Bronco Keyless Entry Keypad (Trick) 1635182724626

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Many may or may not know so thought I would tell a little trick.

With the Bronco and F150 (Maybe others also) if the truck is running or off if you push the 7-8 9-0 at the same time it will lock your ride. I use the to walk in stores or when I get out to lock the doors. Personally I never take the keys out of my ride. I just use the keypad.

On the F150 if after you unlock your truck you push the 5-6 it will open the tailgate if it is a power tailgate.

I have never had the problem of the back door not opening on my Bronco without me having the key also but I have never used the key only the pad.
so anyone can walk up and press those numbers to get access to the truck without breaking a window or messing with the door locks??!!

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

so anyone can walk up and press those numbers to get access to the truck without breaking a window or messing with the door locks??!!
Many may or may not know so thought I would tell a little trick.

With the Bronco and F150 (Maybe others also) if the truck is running or off if you push the 7-8 9-0 at the same time it will lock your ride. I use the to walk in stores or when I get out to lock the doors. Personally I never take the keys out of my ride. I just use the keypad.

On the F150 if after you unlock your truck you push the 5-6 it will open the tailgate if it is a power tailgate.

I have never had the problem of the back door not opening on my Bronco without me having the key also but I have never used the key only the pad.
You still have to input your lock/unlock code into the keypad first.

Bronco4

First Edition
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350 CCLB
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Sometimes I just don’t understand you whippersnappers. It isn’t like you need a hand truck to bring your key or fob into your home. There is absolutely no upside to leaving the key or fob in the vehicle.
I treat my Harley like my wallet, it's never out of my sight. Same with my Bronco. Everyone has a plan and my plan is not your plan. So if someone wants to leave their key in their Bronco it's okay with me. There is a risk in everything we do. That's why I laugh at people who say we must follow the science. Well the science says if we ALL travel 5MPH on the freeway we will save lives. We don't do that because the benefit out ways the risk. And for some people leaving the FOB in there Bronco has more positive benefit than risk. ;)

IamtheBruce

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer, 2021 Ram 1500 Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For those of you that can't imagine why someone would want to leave a key in the vehicle:

I park my Explorer (with keypad) at the beach when I surf or take the kids for a day in the sand. I leave my phone, wallet, and vehicle key in the car, and use the keypad. I'd rather not worry about getting the key wet and ruining it. I have a soft-top 4DR Badlands now, and I'm going to get the keypad for the same reason.

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My family and I have used Ford keypads (stick-on or built-in) on 5 different vehicles without incident since 2000. My girls grew up camping knowing the code so they could stash and fetch items from the vehicles, then moved on to using them for their own adventures when I passed the older vehicles down to them when they started driving. Never had an issue. For me, the keypad is a must-have.

I ordered it separately both to save money and to mount in the fuel door.