First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
With the Badlands trim you can remove the part of the bumper near the tires, perhaps that's to accommodate more wheel travel from the 35" Sasquatch package.
The removable bumper ends are to increase your approach angle (think sand dune or rock face) With the IFS on the bronco you won't have as much fore/aft movement of your tire in the wheel well like you would on a jeep 4 link SFA, so getting into the front bumper isn't going to be as big of an issue. When the jeep flexes, though, the tire that is stuffed into the wheel well doesn't travel straight up and down, the top tips in. The bronco won't have that benefit.
Sponsored

OP
OP

hum-vee4us

First Edition
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The removable bumper ends are to increase your approach angle (think sand dune or rock face) With the IFS on the bronco you won't have as much fore/aft movement of your tire in the wheel well like you would on a jeep 4 link SFA, so getting into the front bumper isn't going to be as big of an issue. When the jeep flexes, though, the tire that is stuffed into the wheel well doesn't travel straight up and down, the top tips in. The bronco won't have that benefit.
Because of design, because it's IFS, or because of the larger 35" tire?
P.S. What makes you so sure that Ford didn't copy Jeep in this sense?

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Does the 33" tire maybe tuck inside the fender where as the 35s would hit the fender? Thus giving you more than 10mm more up travel with 33s?
I can guarantee you they designed the wheelwells with the intention to offer 35s and there's no way they would make it possible for the tire to hit the fender on turn in. 10mm is 10mm.

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Because of design, because it's IFS, or because of the larger 35" tire?
P.S. What makes you so sure that Ford didn't copy Jeep in this sense?
Not sure exactly what you are asking here. Are you asking about the IFS vs SFA and the arc the tire moves through as it articulates or are we talking about bumpers?

OP
OP

hum-vee4us

First Edition
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Not sure exactly what you are asking here. Are you asking about the IFS vs SFA and the arc the tire moves through as it articulates or are we talking about bumpers?
The arc the tires move through as it articulates. Why don't the Bronco tires tuck in like with the Jeep?

Sponsored

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The arc the tires move through as it articulates. Why don't the Bronco tires tuck in like with the Jeep?
IFS A-arms allow more the tire/wheel to travel up and down and remain more upright. Ball joints

SFAs cause the tire/wheel to travel in an arc, think spinning a pencil with mini donuts on the end in a circle, with the center in a relatively fixed position.

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ahhh, ok. Bronco is IFS. As the tire moves through its wheel travel, the tire stays essentially perpendicular to the ground. The Jeep being SFA, as it flexes (one tire up, the other down) the top of the high tire angles in. I attached a couple pics to help visualize. There is another vector of wheel travel too, the fore/aft movement in the wheel well as the suspension cycles..

sfa_flex.jpg

ifs_flex.png

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yeah a centimeter of travel vs an inch of ground clearance isnt even a debate. You can probably put a couple washers on top of the strut to make the tires clear and not need the bumpstops. One of my favorite things about the old bronco suspension is you can flip the shackles and put washers under the coils to clear the next size up tires. All for the price of a quick trip to Ace Hardware.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exactly, although I'd bet that 4.70 gears are still ok for 37's with the torque profile of the turbo engines and the available transmissions. 37's on a 2 door would be a nice setup.
While the gearing should be fine (a lot more forgiveness in an auto) It is the strength of the axles & the gears themselves that I would be worried about. You get a big tire like that bound up, locked and give it some gas, something is going to give. That orange 2-door with 37's has a trussed up rear end that does not look like a 44 to me. I wish I could find the picture I'm talking about.

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ok, so if you swapped out those 35s for 33s, still on a Badlands with Squatch lift, you'd be lowering the truck essentially 2inch because of the tire size. but the wheels would have more clearance in the wheel well to move around.
You'd be lowering it by 1 inch not 2. The 10mm (less than half an inch) of movement up into the wheel well would be far less useful than the extra inch of lift.

Sponsored

JT1

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Willys
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
While the gearing should be fine (a lot more forgiveness in an auto) It is the strength of the axles & the gears themselves that I would be worried about. You get a big tire like that bound up, locked and give it some gas, something is going to give. That orange 2-door with 37's has a trussed up rear end that does not look like a 44 to me. I wish I could find the picture I'm talking about.
Yes, the orange one on 37s is running something other than stock Bronco stuff. The JL Rubicons and Gladiators are running 37s and 38s on the M220 already, so I'm not too worried about the rear. The front is the scary one.

A 2 door on 35s will get me most places I go, so I'm not terribly worried, and the aftermarket will fix the weak spots we find

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Exactly. A Dana 44 candle a 35” easy enough as long as it isn’t overly abused under lock off road. 37s are a different story. Should jump to a Dana 60 or keep a very light right foot off road for rubber that size.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have this feeling that ford, who still sells 9" axle stuff, just might do a "warthog" version that maybe has an SFA with 9" front and rear like the gods intended. From the pics from out infront of the factory, that yellow one had a trussed 9". With piles of new 8.8s and D44s laying around the factory there was absolutly no reason to put a 9" under there unless they had a plan.

Clark

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have this feeling that ford, who still sells 9" axle stuff, just might do a "warthog" version that maybe has an SFA with 9" front and rear like the gods intended. From the pics from out infront of the factory, that yellow one had a trussed 9". With piles of new 8.8s and D44s laying around the factory there was absolutly no reason to put a 9" under there unless they had a plan.
That would be ?

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Now your talking. Casey Currie is already planning SFA swap to run 40's.
My plan is to roll out on 35's & wait for the beta testers a few years to see what's working & what kits come to market. If the kit has blocks, & or does not offer more travel I will keep waiting. I'm going to have this truck for the long haul so there is plenty of time to see who develops the best option.
Sponsored