Sponsored

Last Call: Manual vs. Auto.. Why? (HELP!!)

OP
OP
Gpscharron

Gpscharron

Badlands
First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FORD Bronco, RV- Ford E450 (Thor Vegas 24.1)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was set on the MT Sas, but after many weeks of research and running out of time before December, I think I'm going to focus on Engine and not Transmission. If you compare both engines, the 2.7 Twin Turbo is the best engine. It is faster than the 5.0 and more reliable than the 3.5 eco. The 2.3 has an aluminum block and the 2.7 has a compacted graphite iron (CGI) block which is what Diesel truck engines are made of. The 2.7 will be better suited for tunning and upgrades in the future after the warranty expires and the 10spd auto will make it easier for a 5.0, 5.2, 7.3 V8 swap in the far future after the 2.7 gives out. The $1850 for upgrading to the 2.7 and Auto is a good investment that will keep you interested in the Bronco for many years to come. My timeline is Tune in 3 years, Bolt-ons and Turbo upgrades in 4-5 years and V8 swap in 8-10 years.
I agree with many of your points and thanks for the research. However, I am getting the two door and the 2.3 motor is more then enough power to hit the road and trails. Thanks again..
Sponsored

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Okay I was playing this overland review video back through my head and there is some really great input on both powertrains from Loren Healy.

specifically check out his feedback from the 1:45 mark to about the 3:15 mark. I loved his input. He says something very important about the 2.7L v6, “... keeps you up in the power range”.

jrstorm1007

Big Bend
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2007 Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Anyone that is willing to daily-drive the Van Wyck or the 405 in a stick has a level of patience (or insanity!) that I'll never have! ?
Yup that sums it up ?. At least I'll be able to take it on Robert Moses beach for some surf casting.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There, I fixed that for you. I can think of plenty of manual vehicles I have driven that added no fun to the experience. The worst was probably that U-Haul that I drove inter-state. Others, off the top of my head: a GMC pickup. A three-on-the-tree van. A Geo Metro.

On the other hand, I can't think of a sports car that wasn't fun with a manual. A few off the top of my head: an Opel GT. A Mustang. A Dodge Charger 392. A Ferrari F355 Challenge. The latter with such a stiff clutch that my left thigh grew visibly larger than my right thigh in just a few hours' use! ;) :LOL: The key is that these cars are sports cars. But they were fun when not stuck in traffic. No car is fun stuck in traffic.

If it's just about the right arm-left leg coordinated movement, you can always pretend. :D
I drove an old C50 this past fall with a 5 speed and a splitter. It was "fun" to learn but not exactly fun to drive all day. I was more than happy to get back into my un-manly auto after work.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drove my manual Subaru to Manhattan from the middle of Long Island on a regular basis......a 50 mile trip that took 2.5 hours each way in rush hour traffic. Never once wished it was an auto.

I will gladly sit in traffic in my manual Bronco as well but I do have an Camry hybrid daily driver now.

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There, I fixed that for you. I can think of plenty of manual vehicles I have driven that added no fun to the experience. The worst was probably that U-Haul that I drove inter-state. Others, off the top of my head: a GMC pickup. A three-on-the-tree van. A Geo Metro.

On the other hand, I can't think of a sports car that wasn't fun with a manual. A few off the top of my head: an Opel GT. A Mustang. A Dodge Charger 392. A Ferrari F355 Challenge. The latter with such a stiff clutch that my left thigh grew visibly larger than my right thigh in just a few hours' use! ;) :LOL: The key is that these cars are sports cars. But they were fun when not stuck in traffic. No car is fun stuck in traffic.

If it's just about the right arm-left leg coordinated movement, you can always pretend. :D
But a manual sports car is always fun in open road back country driving, where as an automatic Camry is a Camry regardless of where it is being driven.

The New Bronco is a sports car; it's just a different driving sport.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Anyone that is willing to daily-drive the Van Wyck or the 405 in a stick has a level of patience (or insanity!) that I'll never have! ?
I drive Route 66 from Gainesville, Virginia, to Centerville, Virginia. 13 years now. Manual '06 325i. Oh, and I drive an hour an 5 minutes JUST to get to the traffic. It's not the clutch that is annoying, it's the traffic that is annoying.

And I can eat, drink, change the radio station and look at Google Maps with traffic overlay as good as any auto cage driver. Just excuses for being lazy.

PhoenixM3

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Fiesta ST, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Despite the power disadvantage, the manual will just be a better “fit” for what I expect the Bronco to be.

srick76

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, 69 Bronco, Durango RT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you are on the fence just remember you can always buy an auto in the future if you wanted to but there is no guarantee you will be able to buy a manual bronco in the next few years so if you go auto and hate it you my be out of luck on finding a manual.
Excellent point. I'm on the fence but if I dont get the manual now, maybe I wont be able to in the future. My other concern is that the I4 is going to feel like a honda civic and have no balls if I put 33's on my Big Bend. Thoughts guys? I know nothing about gearing...

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Excellent point. I'm on the fence but if I dont get the manual now, maybe I wont be able to in the future. My other concern is that the I4 is going to feel like a honda civic and have no balls if I put 33's on my Big Bend. Thoughts guys? I know nothing about gearing...
I have an F150 with 35’s, 4.56 gears and a 4.6 V8 that only pushes 280 hp and 320 tq and it is quick accelerating and drives perfect. The turbo 2.3L will be just fine because of gearIng and plenty of hp/tq for those 33’s

Sponsored

Steamroller72

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RAM Sport Quad Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ve realized over the years that peoples perception of “traffic” vary drastically. When I moved from Chicago to Wisconsin 35 years ago, people in Wisconsin complained about the traffic. Traffic meant several cars in the same stretch of road doing the speed limit. Traffic in Chicago meant 5 lanes stopped for miles. Trust me as I did it for years, there was nothing fun about driving a stick in that traffic. I will say the clutches are much lighter these days so maybe it would not be as bad as back then. I’d rather ride the brake than the clutch if I had to do that again.
Great point.
My experience with rush hour traffic in Chicago and Nashville certainly alters my perspective of a "traffic jam" on the 90 West in Western NY...

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve realized over the years that peoples perception of “traffic” vary drastically. When I moved from Chicago to Wisconsin 35 years ago, people in Wisconsin complained about the traffic. Traffic meant several cars in the same stretch of road doing the speed limit. Traffic in Chicago meant 5 lanes stopped for miles. Trust me as I did it for years, there was nothing fun about driving a stick in that traffic. I will say the clutches are much lighter these days so maybe it would not be as bad as back then. I’d rather ride the brake than the clutch if I had to do that again.
Modern cars with manuals and computer throttle control are very easy to drive in heavy traffic. Hydraulic operated clutch mechanisms are far easier to modulate, and are unaffected by wear. Most clutches are used in conjunction with dual-mass flywheels, and clutches are self adjusting.

Additionally, the ECU does everything it can to not stall the engine once it is in gear, so when in heavy stop and go traffic, one can launch in 1st and basically keep their foot off the accelerator and let the computer control throttle input. The biggest issue is asswipes (automatic transmission drivers) that jump in front of you when you are trying to keep distance between your car and the one in front of you to create a cushion of space to operate in without declutching.

If more people drove manual, traffic would be better since more attention is required to control the vehicle in slow, heavy traffic.

This from a die-hard that believes the automatic transmission is the downfall of civilization... ;)

Last edited:

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Modern cars with manuals and computer throttle control are very easy to drive in heavy traffic. Hydraulic operated clutch mechanisms are far easier to modulate, and are unaffected by wear. Most clutches are used in conjunction with dual-mass flywheels, and clutches are self adjusting.

Additionally, the ECU does everything it can to not stall the engine once it is in gear, so when in heavy stop and go traffic, one can launch in 1st and basically keep their foot off the accelerator and let the computer control throttle input. The biggest issue is asswipes (automatic transmission drivers) that jump in front of you when you are trying to keep space between your car and the one in front of you to allow for a cushion of space to operate in without declutching.

If more people drove manual, traffic would be better since more attention is required to control the vehicle in slow, heavy traffic.

This from a die-hard that believes the automatic transmission is the downfall of civilization... ;)
I’ll have to take your word on this. My cars and trucks have all been at the lower end of the purchase price scale. Cable or mechanical linkage standard transmissions, cable or mechanical linkage clutches and cable or mechanical linkage throttle controls. Never had a drive by wire vehicle. Sounds like they have come a long way even in the past 15 years. My 05 Escape is still a manual shift and throttle. The only throttle modulation is my right foot and left foot for the clutch. Sounds like no excuse then for those that need to drive in stop and go traffic.

PhoenixM3

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R, 2018 Fiesta ST, 2018 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Additionally, the ECU does everything it can to not stall the engine once it is in gear, so when in heavy stop and go traffic, one can launch in 1st and basically keep their foot off the accelerator and let the computer control throttle input. The biggest issue is asswipes (automatic transmission drivers) that jump in front of you when you are trying to keep space between your car and the one in front of you to allow for a cushion of space to operate in without declutching.

+10000 ^ this.
Sponsored