Sponsored

Last Call: Manual vs. Auto.. Why? (HELP!!)

Daisy76

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought I was the only one up in here who did that stuff. Also, did you copy my build? Going to get the grill guard with the modular bumper (required) so there is no question as to who wins my next battle vs a deer...

I taught my 16 year old daughter on my F250 long throw 6 speed. she can now drive anything...
Was that a tall boy? That would be awesome!
Sponsored

Daisy76

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought I was the only one up in here who did that stuff. Also, did you copy my build? Going to get the grill guard with the modular bumper (required) so there is no question as to who wins my next battle vs a deer...

I taught my 16 year old daughter on my F250 long throw 6 speed. she can now drive anything...
Never mind you said 6 speed! Still awesome though! ?

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Was that a tall boy? That would be awesome!
I have no clue, have never heard that term. Had to travel 150 miles to get a manual. Turned out that that dealer knew that people wanted them and ordered them. Pretty much a bare bones F 250, rubber floor mats and crank windows. It had a stick that was about 6" above the seat and ended up in the transmission hump, no different than commercial trucks I've driven, if that helps. Please enlighten me as to what a tall boy is...

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Never mind you said 6 speed! Still awesome though! ?
For those who don't know, we're talking about a 5 speed with a granny gear. In granny and 4 LO, with enough rubber it could pull down a house... Also, you could run PTO off of it...

Daisy76

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have no clue, have never heard that term. Had to travel 150 miles to get a manual. Turned out that that dealer knew that people wanted them and ordered them. Pretty much a bare bones F 250, rubber floor mats and crank windows. It had a stick that was about 6" above the seat and ended up in the transmission hump, no different than commercial trucks I've driven, if that helps. Please enlighten me as to what a tall boy is...
I kinda stated it incorrectly, its actually called a highboy. It was a lifted 1967-1977 F250 with a 3 or 4 speed MT (i have only seen 4 speed top loader), kickass truck! Very cool truck that you taught your daughter in also! Every kid should have that experience! ?

Sponsored

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Worst recollection of manuals ..... NO cup holders back in the day, trying to launch from multiple stop lights while holding the mug of morning coffee AND a cigarette , shift and drive all at the same time ...probably in the snow and ice too LOL!!!! ....and then the NEXTEL would chirp from the boss calling me.
I loved interrupting the conversations with "Hold on, I have to shift...."

Haha! These memories ring a bell for me too. I don't know if anyone else is a Bruce Campbell fan, but his non-PC character in Ash v Evil Dead is the embodiment of these good old days:

Ash: "We gotta do that thing, what's it called? Like when you're driving a car, putting on deodorant, and trying to drink a beer at the same time?"
Kelly: "Reckless endangerment?"
Ash: "No, Kelly, keep up ...Multitasking... Thats it."

?

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Weird for someone who doesn't feed, cloth and pay for college with their american job at a parts supplier. I've got 8 family members that makes their living in this business. If we need to be paying more for US employees to feed their family, that's not selfish, it's called looking out for others instead of just me, me, me.
I agree 100% and buy American as much as possible, meaning I go out of my way looking for where a product is made and will buy the American version vs. overseas manufactured version.

The problem is all vehicles are built with globally-source parts and components, so as a consumer there is not much one can do about it regarding individual component choices. If more Americans drove with both feet, perhaps manufacturing a manual transmission in the US would make economic sense for Ford. We'll see what the US part content is on the New Bronco. The Ranger is up near 70% US content, which means parts that include Mexico and Canada; not sure if that changes under the USMCA., but we can expect the New Bronco to be similar. I'm calling that good enough for me and in the spirit of supporting my fellow American citizens.

But it think the point of the argument is not American jobs but rather if the build quality of the transmission is substandard because of its country of origin. If one is going to argue purchase of vehicle should depend on its country of origin that gets into a complex discussion since no vehicle offered by Ford or GM or even Tesla is 100% American content.

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If it's not a sports car, I get auto. Traffic is tedious with a manual. An SUV doesn't make it fun. Not even on a trail (for me).
Manual will make ANY vehicle just a bit more fun and engaging. There’s more to do. There’s another pedal. There are 7 gears that you physically select. Even my fist manual 85 Toyota pickup with around 100 hp was fun to drive with a manual. I’ve daily driven manuals in NYC traffic and it just becomes 2nd nature. I don’t feel one way or another about it. I now have a Camry hybrid daily driver which is super comfy but boring as hell. My Subaru is manual and it is the opposite of comfortable but 1000x more fun than a Camry

DrewBronc21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Subaru STi, 2018 Camry Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Worst recollection of manuals ..... NO cup holders back in the day, trying to launch from multiple stop lights while holding the mug of morning coffee AND a cigarette , shift and drive all at the same time ...probably in the snow and ice too LOL!!!! ....and then the NEXTEL would chirp from the boss calling me.
I loved interrupting the conversations with "Hold on, I have to shift...."

God how I hated manual work trucks....
my first day learning manual in 85 Toyota pickup, my dad was teaching me in an empty church parking lot and he had a coffee and I had an unopened bottle of Dr Pepper. I proceeded to buck that truck all over the parking lot. My dad had hot coffee all over him and when I opened my Dr Pepper afterwards, it exploded lol!. Older manuals were so much harder to drive than what we have now.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

my first day learning manual in 85 Toyota pickup, my dad was teaching me in an empty church parking lot and he had a coffee and I had an unopened bottle of Dr Pepper. I proceeded to buck that truck all over the parking lot. My dad had hot coffee all over him and when I opened my Dr Pepper afterwards, it exploded lol!. Older manuals were so much harder to drive than what we have now.yup i think they got whimpy around the time they stopped using 80 90w in them and went to dextron yuk

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Going to 2.7 auto on the BB, just because Long Island traffic sucks. I had stick on a few cars in the past... always fun to drive, but unfortunately I have too much stop and go to deal with.
Anyone that is willing to daily-drive the Van Wyck or the 405 in a stick has a level of patience (or insanity!) that I'll never have! ?

jboes13

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am 100% set: Badlands -High-Carbonized Gray-33” Optional Rims with MT and ..........leaning towards 2.7 auto (Not sure yet)

I know most of the benefits / negatives. Most of my friends and family think I should get the Auto because I will get tired of the stick.
My first two cars were stick and I loved them both even though I had them for just a few years. I plan to have my Bronco for 10+ years and do not want to regret my decision down the line. This is my 50th B-Day present to myself and do not care about top speed or performance. I feel like to Manual is a lot more fun. I just wish that it came in 2.7 V6. That would make it an easy call for me. What to do..

What do you guys think? Still changing your mind? Or are you 100% one way or another?
I am going with the MT just for the fact of better selecting gears when off roading. Plus I prefer MT over auto. It is a fun driving experience. Although it can be tiring at times. Like someone mentioned earlier, go with your hearts desire on which you think you'll find the most enjoyment out of!

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I’ve realized over the years that peoples perception of “traffic” vary drastically. When I moved from Chicago to Wisconsin 35 years ago, people in Wisconsin complained about the traffic. Traffic meant several cars in the same stretch of road doing the speed limit. Traffic in Chicago meant 5 lanes stopped for miles. Trust me as I did it for years, there was nothing fun about driving a stick in that traffic. I will say the clutches are much lighter these days so maybe it would not be as bad as back then. I’d rather ride the brake than the clutch if I had to do that again.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Manual will make ANY vehicle just a bit more fun and engaging. There’s more to do. There’s another pedal. There are 7 gears that you physically select. Even my fist manual 85 Toyota pickup with around 100 hp was fun to drive with a manual. I’ve daily driven manuals in NYC traffic and it just becomes 2nd nature. I don’t feel one way or another about it. I now have a Camry hybrid daily driver which is super comfy but boring as hell. My Subaru is manual and it is the opposite of comfortable but 1000x more fun than a Camry
There, I fixed that for you. I can think of plenty of manual vehicles I have driven that added no fun to the experience. The worst was probably that U-Haul that I drove inter-state. Others, off the top of my head: a GMC pickup. A three-on-the-tree van. A Geo Metro.

On the other hand, I can't think of a sports car that wasn't fun with a manual. A few off the top of my head: an Opel GT. A Mustang. A Dodge Charger 392. A Ferrari F355 Challenge. The latter with such a stiff clutch that my left thigh grew visibly larger than my right thigh in just a few hours' use! ;) :LOL: The key is that these cars are sports cars. But they were fun when not stuck in traffic. No car is fun stuck in traffic.

If it's just about the right arm-left leg coordinated movement, you can always pretend. :D

BroncoZ

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was set on the MT Sas, but after many weeks of research and running out of time before December, I think I'm going to focus on Engine and not Transmission. If you compare both engines, the 2.7 Twin Turbo is the best engine. It is faster than the 5.0 and more reliable than the 3.5 eco. The 2.3 has an aluminum block and the 2.7 has a compacted graphite iron (CGI) block which is what Diesel truck engines are made of. The 2.7 will be better suited for tunning and upgrades in the future after the warranty expires and the 10spd auto will make it easier for a 5.0, 5.2, 7.3 V8 swap in the far future after the 2.7 gives out. The $1850 for upgrading to the 2.7 and Auto is a good investment that will keep you interested in the Bronco for many years to come. My timeline is Tune in 3 years, Bolt-ons and Turbo upgrades in 4-5 years and V8 swap in 8-10 years.
Sponsored