Sponsored

Last Call: Manual vs. Auto.. Why? (HELP!!)

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have to laugh at everyone claiming “it’s made in China, it’s going to be shit” about the 7spd manual as they Black Friday shop or Cyber Monday shop on Amazon for their Christmas presents that will be assembled and made in China.

Welcome to the global economy and step out of the post WW2 era 1940’s. If you want AMERICAN made then pay up or go get that < $5/hr factory job to produce that item competitively on the global market.

Ford has stated they plan to charge 50% up front costs to manufactures that are involved in recalls so it would be in the manufactures best interest to make sure they buckle down in quality control. Transmissions aren’t a cheap item either and I would think Getrag would get after it after the MT-82 issues (which they have as newer model MT-82’s rarely have the issues the older 2011-2014’s have).
Sponsored

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am 100% set: Badlands -High-Carbonized Gray-33” Optional Rims with MT and ..........leaning towards 2.7 auto (Not sure yet)

I know most of the benefits / negatives. Most of my friends and family think I should get the Auto because I will get tired of the stick.
My first two cars were stick and I loved them both even though I had them for just a few years. I plan to have my Bronco for 10+ years and do not want to regret my decision down the line. This is my 50th B-Day present to myself and do not care about top speed or performance. I feel like to Manual is a lot more fun. I just wish that it came in 2.7 V6. That would make it an easy call for me. What to do..

What do you guys think? Still changing your mind? Or are you 100% one way or another?
Well. You're over 50....so you might risk it. Unless you're an early knee or right shoulder replacement. Then you're parked.

cesarinho

Black Diamond
First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is why I would get the manual if I were you.
  • Your first two cars were manual and you loved them
  • Your friends and family want you to get the auto. (You are a 100% set in a MT ...but leaning Auto? ?)
  • You don't care about top speed or performance.
  • A manual is more rare and special these days. Perfect for a 50th b-day present. (you can get an auto in a few years if you get tired of the manual)
  • The Bronco is a fun offroad vehicle. Manual is more fun to drive.
I have a 2019 mustang 2.3 ecoboost manual and love it. I will be replacing it with a Bronco BigBend Mansquatch. I need a 5 seater (3 young kids) and the only two SUVs with a manual are the wrangler and the Bronco. This will probably be my last brand new vehicle with a manual transmission. Can't pass that up!

Last edited:

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Manual. Do it!

tlowell01

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh no doubt, I had a mustang with the mt82. Mine was fine but I know a lot of people had issues.

My point is the iTs MaDe In ChInA argument is dumb. We won't know which one is good or which is junk untill they've been on the road for awhile.

Hell both could be an absolute shit show and the motors could leak more than a discount colostomy bag.
The made in China so quality is cr*p argument is just silly at this point. Are poor quality items made in China? YES. Are some of the most precision engineered high tech items made in China with impeccable quality? Also YES! The bigger question is how well Ford runs the quality control of their sub cons. My company outsources components from all over the world, and most of the time when there are quality issues, the driver is in our spec sheet rather than the suppliers ability to produce to spec.

Even if the transmissions were made in the USA, the component parts would come from all over the world anyway.

Sponsored

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The made in China so quality is cr*p argument is just silly at this point. Are poor quality items made in China? YES. Are some of the most precision engineered high tech items made in China with impeccable quality? Also YES! The bigger question is how well Ford runs the quality control of their sub cons. My company outsources components from all over the world, and most of the time when there are quality issues, the driver is in our spec sheet rather than the suppliers ability to produce to spec.

Even if the transmissions were made in the USA, the component parts would come from all over the world anyway.
I repair medical equipment , mostly imagine equipment, for a living. Most of the high end stuff is german and has parts from all over the world.

Now I avoid chinese knock off items because I've seen that effect small businesses first had. But this isn't a knock off, so I am good with it.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am 100% set: Badlands -High-Carbonized Gray-33” Optional Rims with MT and ..........leaning towards 2.7 auto (Not sure yet)

What do you guys think? Still changing your mind? Or are you 100% one way or another?
If it's not a sports car, I get auto. Traffic is tedious with a manual. An SUV doesn't make it fun. Not even on a trail (for me).

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well. You're over 50....so you might risk it. Unless you're an early knee or right shoulder replacement. Then you're parked.
I'm over 50. Had both knees replaced at 52 and 54 (results from dirt bike accidents in my late teens and early 20s). I was back driving my manual BMWs to PT and then work (80 miles one way) 2-weeks after surgery.

The Doc laughed and said best PT for a knee replacement is a clutch.

Lol.

Last edited:

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm over 50. Had both knees replaced at 52 and 54 (dirt bike accidents in my late teens and early 20s). I was back driving my manual BMWs to PT and then work (80 miles one way) 2-weeks after surgery.

Lol.
Amazing. Shoulders take longer... With the foam block for several weeks. Of course you could always rent.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have to laugh at everyone claiming “it’s made in China, it’s going to be shit” about the 7spd manual as they Black Friday shop or Cyber Monday shop on Amazon for their Christmas presents that will be assembled and made in China.

Welcome to the global economy and step out of the post WW2 era 1940’s. If you want AMERICAN made then pay up or go get that < $5/hr factory job to produce that item competitively on the global market.

Ford has stated they plan to charge 50% up front costs to manufactures that are involved in recalls so it would be in the manufactures best interest to make sure they buckle down in quality control. Transmissions aren’t a cheap item either and I would think Getrag would get after it after the MT-82 issues (which they have as newer model MT-82’s rarely have the issues the older 2011-2014’s have).
I had zero concerns/issues with my 2018 mustang gt manual the 23,000 miles I owned her. The only improvement i made was a Steeda clutch pedal spring and perch. I hope Steeda makes a clutch spring/perch for the Bronco. It made the engagement point feel consistent(and noticeable).

Sponsored

mrxg78

Badlands
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s easy for me.
This is my man toy, I like my toys manual. And if it feels weak I’ll swap it out for a V6/V8 manual in the future (if Ford makes one) or swap the engine to a bigger one when this one dies.

easy peasy lemon squeezy ?

regularbronco

First Edition
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Weird for someone who doesn't feed, cloth and pay for college with their american job at a parts supplier. I've got 8 family members that makes their living in this business. If we need to be paying more for US employees to feed their family, that's not selfish, it's called looking out for others instead of just me, me, me.

BadSquatch

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I REALLY want a manual. Have always had, and loved, them.

I still wish I could get the MT with Sasquatch. That's the only thing that has me hesitating. Getting the 33" tires instead of the 35" tires that come with the Sasquatch.

Anyone else feel the same?

OP
OP
Gpscharron

Gpscharron

Badlands
First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FORD Bronco, RV- Ford E450 (Thor Vegas 24.1)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great video on five reason to get a Manual vs. Auto
Sponsored