Sponsored

Last Call: Manual vs. Auto.. Why? (HELP!!)

Norm A.

Badlands
First Name
Norman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you can ride a motorcycle you can

If you can ride a motorcycle you can drive a stick, same concept and you understand a clutch. I grew up with dirt bikes and learned to drive an old ford truck with 3 on the tree. No learning curve what so ever. Get a stick and enjoy. Cheers!
I've been riding bikes for 50 years, I've got a Harley Heritage in my garage now but still getting 2.7 Auto ?
Sponsored

mrxg78

Badlands
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've driven all around Colorado on two motorcycle trips and three car trips (in a 140 HP BMW Z3). So I'm pretty familiar with the terrain. Also, I live in the western side of Virginia and road trip into West Virginia on a regular basis. While not the Rockies, West Virginia has about 3 miles of flat road (kidding...).

But the point of having a multiple-speed transmission, it to set it in a gear that best achieves engine power output at the best fuel burn for the loading desired. If that means 5th or 4th, then that is the gear necessary. Being a manual transmission makes the 2.3L no less capable of providing good driving dynamics than the auto does. Neither transmission needs to run in top gear while cruising. That is my point.
Take Me Home

You can skip to 2:00 minutes

Danger Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Absolutely agreed. My posts to this thread started with a discussion of the usability of cruise control in hilly terrain. Other than use of cruise control, I definitely prefer a manual to an automatic in hilly country. The proper gear for any terrain can be selected without waiting for the auto to react or improperly react to an upcoming situation.
I really hate when my Sierra thinks I demand that it maintains 75MPH no matter the incline and no matter the tow tonnage so it drops down into 3rd and revs to 6K before I realize what's happened... I'd honestly be happy if CC just had a "slow down if you have to" setting so I didn't need to break CC and reset it in mountainous areas.

asurfer11

Badlands
First Name
ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 africa twin
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2 of 3 of the Bronco guys in this SEMA interview said 2 door with manual. I think that says something. Watch starting at 18:15.

Interesting. the marketing field guy specifically liked the 2.3 2-dr with manual. I like it!

Sponsored

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Auto because 2.7 has port injection. Never go for a strictly DI engine.

Trigger

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Silverado/2022 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I lost the battle but the war is won.

After a long period of negotiation with my bride, we compromised with an Auto but stepping up to the Black Diamond. I was working towards a MT for the past 6 months but I had to give a little. You know it is a good compromise when no-one is happy :cool:. No mid package with MT was the nail in the coffin (unable to step up to BL).

I won't convert to an order for another week or so but seems like it'll be an auto. My man card will be turned in at the next meeting.

Congrats to those rowing their own.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Mattmquin

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayenne GTS / Wrangler - TJ
Your Bronco Model
Base

After a long period of negotiation with my bride, we compromised with an Auto but stepping up to the Black Diamond. I was working towards a MT for the past 6 months but I had to give a little. You know it is a good compromise when no-one is happy :cool:. No mid package with MT was the nail in the coffin (unable to step up to BL).

I won't convert to an order for another week or so but seems like it'll be an auto. My man card will be turned in at the next meeting.

I hear they are "accidentally" building manuals even if the auto is selected...

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I struggled to choose between the 2.7 and the 2.3 Manual. They are both cool but in different ways. I know I would love and appreciate both but my logic is that the 2.3 Manual is cool in the way of quirkiness, novelty, and driver experience. The 2.7 is cool in the way of raw power, speed, and generally being kick ass. I decided on the Manual partially because I think the things that make it cool are not soon threatened by the coming Warthog variant. Everything that's cool about the 2.7 will not be so cool once the a Warthog is released. I think I can gladly look out the window and ogle at Warthog ripping by while still thoroughly enjoying rowing my own gears. I might not enjoy getting dusted in my 2.7 lol

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base

You can retain your man card, if you take your Bronco to Shake Shack and buy a chicken sandwich with buttermilk sauce, fries, and a 1/2 sweet ice tea, and a chocolate concrete with fudge and salted caramel mixed-in, then jump the curb and make it all the way to the top of the berm overlooking the Sur-La-Table at the fancy mall, as if it that berm was Pride Rock from the Lion King.

Mattmquin

Base
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayenne GTS / Wrangler - TJ
Your Bronco Model
Base

I think you can get a MT with the mid package. B&P won't let you, but you should be able to build it like that. You just can't use the remote start.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I struggled to choose between the 2.7 and the 2.3 Manual. They are both cool but in different ways. I know I would love and appreciate both but my logic is that the 2.3 Manual is cool in the way of quirkiness, novelty, and driver experience. The 2.7 is cool in the way of raw power, speed, and generally being kick ass. I decided on the Manual partially because I think the things that make it cool are not soon threatened by the coming Warthog variant. Everything that's cool about the 2.7 will not be so cool once the a Warthog is released. I think I can gladly look out the window and ogle at Warthog ripping by while still thoroughly enjoying rowing my own gears. I might not enjoy getting dusted in my 2.7 lol
To be fair the Mustang Mach-E GT will out perform 99% of All Mustangs that ever existed both at the quarter mile and on the track. Performance aided by electric motors will be ridiculous in the next 10 years.
Sponsored

Last edited: