Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have and I STILL want the 2.7L w/MT.
Me too, but the 2.3 matches my Coyote past 2k. The 2.7 is on roids with a tune!
Sponsored

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Given the recurring discussion on the 2.7mt topic, I figured I’d quote my previous explanation as to why Ford isn’t likely to ever offer it.

TL;DR
It would cost Ford more than they would make by offering it, so it isn’t financially feasible from a production standpoint

That might be a factor, but the bigger thing is that the 2.7 has never been offered with a manual, and there are design and machining changes that need to be made to make an engine designed exclusively for auto usage compatible with a manual.

Ford probably just doesn’t have enough of a business case to make the changes of adding another variant of the 2.7 engine to their production line. (For reference, the 2.3 has always been available with a manual or auto, so they don’t need to make any major changes to it)

Also, Ford has been going wild with dealer installed tunes that let you keep your warranty, and a tuned 2.7 would definitely exceed that manual transmissions rating.

Another reason is that the bellhousing is integrated into the transmission housing, so they would need another variant of the mti550, and there probably isn’t enough of a business case for that either.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Think about this. If you want torque, the 2.3 in crawl gear will likely match or beat a non Sasquatch 2.7 in 4L. If you want speed (especially on the street), the auto will accelerate much faster light to light than the stick. I would love the 6/7 combo too, but the 2.3 isn't off the mark that much. Just trying to add some positive in case you have to have the 7 speed. Don't want to see you too depressed about the coolest vehicle to come out in 50 years.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Think about this. If you want torque, the 2.3 in crawl gear will likely match or beat a non Sasquatch 2.7 in 4L. If you want speed (especially on the street), the auto will accelerate much faster light to light than the stick. I would love the 6/7 combo too, but the 2.3 isn't off the mark that much. Just trying to add some positive in case you have to have the 7 speed. Don't want to see you too depressed about the coolest vehicle to come out in 50 years.
Torque applied at the wheel (max torque multiplied thru the gearing of the transmission, transfer case and differential) is almost identical between the 2.3/MT and 2.7/AT with a very slight edge to the 2.3/MT. My guess was that Ford did not want to cross a threshold somewhere whether that was the transfer case or differential by offering up the manual behind the 2.7L. They do have to warranty these combinations.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Plot twist: Ford always intended to offer the manual with every model, but launched it saying the opposite. Then later, after the enthusiasts are whipped into a tizzy, they "give in" to demands. In a PR moment of glory, they release the manual across all options and seem like the most attentive automaker ever.
And this all happens a couple days AFTER the B&P goes live and performance settles down.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hey the Aztek was only 20 years ago!

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am curious to know if that 7 speed has an internal or external slave.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Hey the Aztek was only 20 years ago!
A guy I work with drives a lifted F250 and says his dream truck is a Honda Pilot. Amazingly, he's kept this lie up for years now with a straight face.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The current 2.3L is Direct Injection ONLY and that's why I want the 2.7L, but I ALSO Want a MT.

So, I could care less about all of the talk about which performs better under X Situation. I can care less about the comments "the carbon buildup isn't that bad" or "get an oil catch can".

I Will Not Buy A Bronco With A 2.3L Direct Injection Only Engine..... PERIOD!

So.... I wait to see if FoMoCo will add the Port Injection to the 2.3L or for them to mate a MT to the 2.7L (or some other Acceptable To Me engine).

Hope that this helps everyone to understand my stance on this.

crowdpleazer

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am curious to know if that 7 speed has an internal or external slave.
I would guess internal, same as most all manuals anymore. Fewer parts on the assembly line.

I know, I've struggled getting the internal ones to bleed and they aren't as durable but that is the way they all are. Not a deal breaker for me...

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I hope that everyone who is chirping online about a MT buys one. Tweeting at Mike is free, let's see the reservation dollars.

Ford is a for profit company that has spent a ton of money and time market researching this. The reality is if people were actually going to buy a MT they'd make it but the trends in the industry are clear.

The trends sure are - with a few exceptions automakers generally offer manuals on base trims or with lower performance options (see Gladiator towing specs) then complain that people won't buy them. Yeah no sh*t Sherlock! How about you come up with a good explanation for the relationship between the transmission and dual zone climate control?

Or the Sasquatch...
Sponsored