Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35ā€™s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like this idea, but after a couple days, I find myself needing to replenish the ice from a local store which is the typlical crushed (and wet) version.

But I'll have to try this next time. The other benefit to the crushed ice is it fits between all the little crevices so it doesn't take up as much room.
I recommend something like these Nalgene bottles. All depends on the size & shape of your cooler.

8E883ED2-33AA-4424-95F3-6D7ABAF8A446.jpeg

1E96E33D-400E-4F32-A971-18026B89B2A4.jpeg
Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you are thinking the electric fridges are too expensive, I just picked up one of these:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-p01061

I couldn't pass up the price. It is a rebranded cooler but cheaper than the non-rebranded equivalent on Amazon. I figured maybe the support would be a bit better over a third party seller on Amazon. It just arrived today so we will see how it compares to the CFX3 once I let the compressor settle for a bit after shipping.
Wow that price is actually in the realm of me buying one...

How is it?

mike12779

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wow that price is actually in the realm of me buying one...

How is it?
For a basic fridge/freezer, it is pretty good for the price. It seems to use more power than my Dometic CFX3 45. I don't think it is as well insulated or constructed, but does the job. As it does not retain the temp as long when it is powered off, I get a bit worried if it actually shut off for some reason. This is where the Dometic app comes in handy as you can monitor it at any time. So far it has only stopped if the Jackery died or it came unplugged.

While it is stated a 55, the small compartment above the compressor is not really temperature controlled but good if you want to keep produce/etc cool, but not too cold.

I also don't mind keeping this one in the back of my vehicle, just to have for trips to the store/etc...

TJconvert2.7

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™m going to reach out to Coleman or Igloo and see if theyā€™ll send me a giant decal to put on my vehicle.
Bizarre to me the embrace of the Yeti brand.
Itā€™s a cooler. An absurdly overpriced one.
Do you advertise your fridge brand?

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just got a new yeti roadie 24 in the new king crab orange color itā€™s supper nice and just the wright size for a 2 door in my opinion I didnā€™t want anything to big

Sponsored

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for the constructive thoughts, I did not even consider an electric cooler. Let the research begin.
Whatever you do, DO NOT get a Koolatron, Coleman or Domtec 12v electric "cooler". They only cool to a maximum 40F below ambient temperature. Your food will still go bad even though you have a "cooler".

You need to research either Dometic or ARB style fridge/freezer. They go down to around 14F.

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I thought about a 12V fridge, until I saw the prices. In 45 years of camping in pretty remote areas, even Wilderness, a regular cooler has always worked for me. And will work again with the bronco. Dry Ice for longer trips, we used to mule pack into the wilderness for 4-5 days, and have steak and ice cream the last night!

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought about a 12V fridge, until I saw the prices. In 45 years of camping in pretty remote areas, even Wilderness, a regular cooler has always worked for me. And will work again with the bronco.
Camping... šŸ¤ 

Dry Ice for longer trips, we used to mule pack into the wilderness for 4-5 days, and have steak and ice cream the last night!
... and Glamping. šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Looks like youā€™ve got your bases covered. šŸ˜ ;)

Ilmguy1234

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler/Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love my yetis. They always seem to out perform any other budget cooler. The 45 is perfect but I wouldnā€™t ever put it on my roof. Itā€™s so damn heavy. We plan on getting a trailer hitch cargo carrier. After reading this thread with the plug in coolers, Iā€™m looking at an electric cooler for our road trips.

I canā€™t remember if the bronco has the cargo space outlet, but our Tahoe does.

Iā€™m looking at this
https://www.dometic.com/en-us/food-and-beverage/coolers/electric-coolers/dometic-cfx3-75dz-220585

MattyAg

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So... I was looking at the Dometic website and they have a 20% off site wide sale until May 31st. Plus free shipping. I ended up biting the bullet and bought the CFX3 45. Saved me $200. I know some people don't want to spend that much on a fridge/cooler, but I have been wanted to go this route for a while and thought 20% off plus free shipping was a steal. Hope this helps others on the fence.

Sponsored

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm not smart on fridges but when I make camp I like to park the beer cooler right next to my chair under the canopy. I'd be annoyed having to get up and open up the trunk every time I need a refill and it'd be especially annoying if everyone in my group was going in an out of my truck. I think coolers are the way to go.

Also want to plug Canyon Coolers. Based in Flagstaff AZ and earned their street cred on rafting trips through the grand canyon. Perform as good, if not better than Yeti and cost less. Lifetime warranty too.
I have 2 Canyon Coolers. They are every bit as good as a Yeti.
AND I might add, more affordable since they don't spend $$$$$ telling everyone how great they are.

Last edited:

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If you are getting your food wet in a regular cooler you are doing it wrong. Just freeze some 1/2 gallon plastic milk jugs and lay them in your cooler. Put enough so they don't move around. The frozen block ice lasts longer and the melt water stays in the jugs.

I always worry that those 12v electric coolers are going to run down my battery while camping for the weekend.
Any decent 12V fridge has built in protection that monitors your battery and shuts itself off before running down your battery. I still wouldnā€™t use one with a standard starter battery though. They are not designed for repeated deep discharges and will quickly fail. Thereā€™s plenty of combination batteries that both start your truck and run appliances like fridges, like the well known (but over rated IMO) Optima Yellow Top battery.

Buckin Bronco

Badlands
First Name
ChoSunJuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So... I was looking at the Dometic website and they have a 20% off site wide sale until May 31st. Plus free shipping. I ended up biting the bullet and bought the CFX3 45. Saved me $200. I know some people don't want to spend that much on a fridge/cooler, but I have been wanted to go this route for a while and thought 20% off plus free shipping was a steal. Hope this helps others on the fence.
Great deal. Too bad I'm not in the market for one right now, otherwise I'd jump all over it. I'm going for the CFX3 45 too.

I think I will also get the Dometic fridge slide, probably with the cutting board.

Ramble_Offroad

Badlands
First Name
Nels
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 2D JK on 35ā€™s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Friendly heads up, IMPO a proper fridge is null without a proper dual battery system. Most of the fridge freezers, even the high end ones, are not great coolers when the power is off. So just keep that in mind that the fridge is only part of the investment. Cheers.
Sponsored