First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
The bronco has an M220 rear axle, some Jeep Wranglers have a M220 and all the Gladiators have an M220.
Do any parts interchange? IF they do you would have lots of options for the rear.

Nothing would work as well as a locker. One of my current 4x4 has a limited slip, it helps a little on flat ground but as soon as you on non-level terrain it acts like a open diff. But if your not doing much off roading maybe you don't need it. The Goat modes should make as much of a difference as a limited slip but they take a second to kick in after a wheel starts to spin.

Jeeps have lots of options for lockers, gear driven limited slips, clutch limited slips, auto lockers. I am sure the bronco will catch up in a year or so, even if the parts don't interchange.

If you have this LSD install done please let us know what option you use so we know what fits.

It sounds like you are building a really cool Bronco. Post some photos when you get a chance.

Here is a link to limited slip diff that should fit the rear maybe?

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/eaton...wn-rear-differential-913a589/_/R-BHXC-913A589
Sponsored

Last edited:

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Base only gets part-time 4x4. Advanced 4x4, (i.e., the 4A setting) is only $795. It's a mandatory upgrade with the Squatch package, but not available as a stand-alone option on the base.

Because an open diff allows the wheels to spin at different rates, it allows the side with the least amount of traction to spin.

Less sophisticated traction controls simply reduce power to stop wheelspin, but don't put more power to the wheels that are actually getting traction. Some actively apply braking to the free-spinning wheel, putting relatively more traction to the wheel with more friction... thus limiting the ability of the tire that was spinning to provide any traction at all. TC helps with issue, but ultimately open diffs are just open diffs. In 4x4, you're constantly being driven by 2 wheels - the front tire with the least traction - and the rear wheel with the least traction. Not ideal.

Limited Slip Differentials (LSDs, posi-traction, etc.) solve a lot of those problems, putting down power to both wheels on the same axle simultaneously, while still allowing the wheels to turn at different rates in a turn.

Locking axles (lockers) provide exactly the same power to each side... when locked, both wheels turn at exactly the same speed - all the time - extremely useful in sketchy off-road conditions... but don't try making turns on a high-friction surface with them locked.

There's a great section in the owner's manual that explains exactly how the Bronco's two 4x4 modes (part-time 4x4 and advanced 4x4) work.. and how they differ.
I understand how it works. The OP was not clear on the situations he needs it for, and like I discovered, with traction control, the need for LS is minimized for every day driving etc....

OP
OP

Medic2121

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500C Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Lift it, drastically increase tire size, regear and looking for limited slip options🤔
I don’t like the Sasquatch wheel/tire setup. I don’t need lockers. Simpler setup once it is finished.

OP
OP

Medic2121

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500C Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Lift it, drastically increase tire size, regear and looking for limited slip options🤔
I really do need lockers. I don’t like the wheel/tire combo on the squatch. No reason to pay for what I don’t need. Besides, gives me an excuse to tear into it.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Assuming 35's and the forces generated or required, I'd strongly suggest just doing a selectable locker ... OX or ARB and just be done with it. The LSD , I just don't see working very well with big tires.

With the selectable, the only added cost will be the actual parts difference, install will be the same ... it's just that you're buying MUCH better performing parts.

Here's what i'm considering ....
If I were to go that route, I skip right over the LSD's and get the ARB just to also have the compressor for the air and other options that opens up later.

Do I need lockers for what I do, no. But if I'm going to drop coin on a traction aiding device, I'm not going to risk wasting it and having it not work as I need it to out on the trail. I'm 3/4's of the way there with a LSD as it is, might as well go full send.

For what it's worth , the ARB will stay locked at speed, unlike the Squatch lockers. Maybe they can Forscan around that though.

Big Jim

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I would bet an arb or ox locker is more to install than lsd. Unless you plan on doing the wiring and or plumbing yourself. Anyway, medic my friend, i am sure you will be happy with your bronco whatever u choose to do.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Personally, I would do the SAS. Sell the wheels you don't like to fund something you do like. You gain the lockers, heavier duty front axle, small lift, etc. In the end I bet you save money and keep your warranty.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
A limited slip is an option I am considering down the road as well. Realisitically I know my bronco will spend 98% of its life crawling over pot holes and through snow instead of obstacles lol.

I still don't understand why a limited slip wasn't standard though.
No LS because it's less expensive to rely on the brake locking differential setup.
IMHO it should have been an a relatively inexpensive option but maybe the plan was to push people into SAS instead.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Medic2121

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500C Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
The bronco has an M220 rear axle, some Jeep Wranglers have a M220 and all the Gladiators have an M220.
Do any parts interchange? IF they do you would have lots of options for the rear.

Nothing would work as well as a locker. One of my current 4x4 has a limited slip, it helps a little on flat ground but as soon as you on non-level terrain it acts like a open diff. But if your not doing much off roading maybe you don't need it. The Goat modes should make as much of a difference as a limited slip but they take a second to kick in after a wheel starts to spin.

Jeeps have lots of options for lockers, gear driven limited slips, clutch limited slips, auto lockers. I am sure the bronco will catch up in a year or so, even if the parts don't interchange.

If you have this LSD install done please let us know what option you use so we know what fits.

It sounds like you are building a really cool Bronco. Post some photos when you get a chance.

Here is a link to limited slip diff that should fit the rear maybe?

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/eaton...wn-rear-differential-913a589/_/R-BHXC-913A589
Thanks for the info. I am building a much more mild mannered machine than I have in the past. Just want to keep it simple and more reliable. I probably won’t get to the regear stage until the warranty is about done so that may be a little while.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Assuming 35's and the forces generated or required, I'd strongly suggest just doing a selectable locker ... OX or ARB and just be done with it. The LSD , I just don't see working very well with big tires.
He said right off the bat that whatever wheeling he's going to do doesn't justify lockers. And anyway, a locker is useless on the street. A good LSD pays dividends every time you drive, especially if it's wet or rainy out (does it rain in Florida?). If I had a nickel for every time my open-rear F-150 has slipped a tire on a sandy, wet, or icy spot and freaked out, pulsed the brakes, and cut power, well then I'd have saved enough to put an LSD in it by now.

Big Jim

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
But even if you lsd you would have to turn traction control off or your still in the same boat

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

No LS because it's less expensive to rely on the brake locking differential setup.
IMHO it should have been an a relatively inexpensive option but maybe the plan was to push people into SAS instead.
The issue is, the BLD system on the Bronco is extremely underwhelming. Seems it's lockers of nothing...

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Would I void my warranty going the factory route?
You'll void your warranty washing your Bronco with the wrong soap, lol

Certain changes will not void a warranty, such as using a Fram instead of Autolite oil filter or Brembo brake pads.

Adding a dual catback exhaust or lift kit not in the accessories book? Or even a tow hitch on an FE, be careful
Sponsored