First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500C Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don’t need lockers for the wheeling I have planned. I would, however benefit greatly from some limited slip differentials. Anyone have any ideas on aftermarket options? I ordered a base nonsquatch. Because I live in the land of sitting I traffic, it’s got a slush box instead of the manual tranny.
Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

You will most likely have to buy new gears too as your carrier is welded to the ring gear...

I suggest a true Trac for the best traction and strength!

and also because your front end has a axle disconnect, or so Ive read, the upgrade should be unnoticeable on the road in 2wd

OP
OP

Medic2121

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
500C Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
You will most likely have to buy new gears too as your carrier is welded to the ring gear...

and also because your front end has a axle disconnect, or so Ive read, the upgrade should be unnoticeable on the road in 2wd
Thanks! I plan on changing out gears as well because I will probably lift it and increase the tire size drastically from the 30” donuts that come on it.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Thanks! I plan on changing out gears as well because I will probably lift it and increase the tire size drastically from the 30” donuts that come on it.
Well then I suggest the upgrade to the Advantek d44 front. And the Extreem duty 32 spline CV axles that are coming directly from Dana. And a True Trac if Limited slip is what you want. I looked at the m190 axles yesterday and they are ALOT smaller than the m210s, so I would definitely do that upgrade with big tires.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The ring gear is welded to the carrier? Where does that info come from?

Sponsored

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
A limited slip is an option I am considering down the road as well. Realisitically I know my bronco will spend 98% of its life crawling over pot holes and through snow instead of obstacles lol.

I still don't understand why a limited slip wasn't standard though.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lift it, drastically increase tire size, regear and looking for limited slip options🤔
Does what you're thinking start with "B" and rhyme with "asesquatch"?

Sponsored

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If only there was a factory option for something like that....
Yep... but they make doing that on the cheap prohibitively expensive. Locking rear end (or adv 4x4.. or 4.7 gears as stand-alones) not available on the base... so... the cheapest you can get just the rear locker is to upgrade to a Big Bend.

Base
$29,300

BB + rear locker
$33,785 + $495 = $34,280

That's $4980 over the open diff Base (but you'll also get fog lights and a leather-wrapped steering wheel!)

At that price, you're only $2405 away from having a Basesquatch. ~5k just to get a factory rear locker or 7.4k for all the other stuff? No brainer for me because...

... for that extra $7385 you pay for the rear locker on the Basesquatch... also get a locking front diff... and advanced 4x4... and 4.7 gears... and HOSS / Bilstein position-sensitive shocks... and a "free" upgrade to an auto for the same price... oh... and it already comes rolling on 35s. Pricy - but great value.

If all you want is a LSD, better gears, and bigger tires... MUCH cheaper to do it yourself. Base is affordable... but expensive to outfit with better bits. If you want a rear locker from the factory... you're buying lots of expensive stuff you don't want just to get it. Choose your poison.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In normal driving conditions, the traction control compensates for wheel spin shifting it to the other end. I'm not sure how well it functions when in 4WD modes. The way I understand it is that the traction control replaces the need for limited slip in semi-normal driving conditions.

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In normal driving conditions, the traction control compensates for wheel spin shifting it to the other end. I'm not sure how well it functions when in 4WD modes. The way I understand it is that the traction control replaces the need for limited slip in semi-normal driving conditions.
Base only gets part-time 4x4. Advanced 4x4, (i.e., the 4A setting) is only $795. It's a mandatory upgrade with the Squatch package, but not available as a stand-alone option on the base.

Because an open diff allows the wheels to spin at different rates, it allows the side with the least amount of traction to spin.

Less sophisticated traction controls simply reduce power to stop wheelspin, but don't put more power to the wheels that are actually getting traction. Some actively apply braking to the free-spinning wheel, putting relatively more traction to the wheel with more friction... thus limiting the ability of the tire that was spinning to provide any traction at all. TC helps with issue, but ultimately open diffs are just open diffs. In 4x4, you're constantly being driven by 2 wheels - the front tire with the least traction - and the rear wheel with the least traction. Not ideal.

Limited Slip Differentials (LSDs, posi-traction, etc.) solve a lot of those problems, putting down power to both wheels on the same axle simultaneously, while still allowing the wheels to turn at different rates in a turn.

Locking axles (lockers) provide exactly the same power to each side... when locked, both wheels turn at exactly the same speed - all the time - extremely useful in sketchy off-road conditions... but don't try making turns on a high-friction surface with them locked.

There's a great section in the owner's manual that explains exactly how the Bronco's two 4x4 modes (part-time 4x4 and advanced 4x4) work.. and how they differ.
Sponsored

Last edited: