Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Any newer and better you recommend?
LOL! Nono! My comment was that the last time I had a 4x4 was roughly 30 years ago and that is the exact same style gadget that I recall seeing in either 4WD & Off Road or 4 Wheeler magazine.

Strictly a dig on myself for being an old man. ;)

Deleted member 3063

Watch any video regarding those cross-over suv's on the trail. Those brake controlling traction assist systems all function rather violently. They work and are usually included with modern traction control.
Suppose that was true in the past. Modern car computers react too fast to allow the high wheel spin that causes any violent reactions. Well Ford computers post 2005 anyway, can't really respond to other manufacturers shortcomings.
The video of the Bronco Sport at Moab shows what a modern TC system can do.

Tofudude

Base
First Name
Chan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Brono Base Mansquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Suppose that was true in the past. Modern car computers react too fast to allow the high wheel spin that causes any violent reactions. Well Ford computers post 2005 anyway, can't really respond to other manufacturers shortcomings.
The video of the Bronco Sport at Moab shows what a modern TC system can do.
I've wheel'd with modern vehicles that have it (Tacomas, Land Cruiser and Touaregs). It works but its painful to watch, most vehicles with any type of this system will be able to conquer obstacle but its never smooth. Usually rolling back and then grabbing traction causing it to bounce (this was seen on the Bronco Sport video of it crawling). All the jerking and bouncing around is what breaks stuff.

FYI I'm strictly talking about crawling around or doing heavy trails. On easier stuff the computer does a decent enough job.

I think this person would be fine without it but if you ever plan to see dirt I would still recommend it.

Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If you don't plan on doing any off-road wheeling would it make any sense to paying extra for the locker (which you would have to do with the Big Bend)?
it’s not only an “off road” thing. If you live in the icy or muddy location. One wheel off the pavement on to the slippery stuff a locker can help get you out. Less than one percent of vehicles on the road have lockers. Good kit, but not very common.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The ratio for a MT in base, BB, and BD are all 4.46. More than likely the non locker version has welded gears, so you will not be able to easily add a locker after the fact, if that's what he is asking. If the ring gear are standard bolt in type, a locking or LSD good be added, but that's not cheap. Hopefully the open diffs are bolt in ring gear so people can add a LSD.

Last edited:

ric42pars

Black Diamond
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Explorer, 2008 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Seems odd they would buy a complete separate axle just for the base with welded gears for a low volume production base manual unit. Depends on the take rate of base manual. But normally in a case like this, my manufacturing firm would combine them as the same part to save money on volume purchases. Just wouldn't connect the electronics to make it a locking diff. The more volume of the same diff we can buy will save money. Just asking if anyone has any input.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Seems odd they would buy a complete separate axle just for the base with welded gears for a low volume production base manual unit. Depends on the take rate of base manual. But normally in a case like this, my manufacturing firm would combine them as the same part to save money on volume purchases. Just wouldn't connect the electronics to make it a locking diff. The more volume of the same diff we can buy will save money. Just asking if anyone has any input.

That would waste a whole lot of money. Open diffs are cheaper and they will use plenty of them. They are not going to use the more expensive axle for all builds.

Sponsored

ric42pars

Black Diamond
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Really? I don’t think the base manual option will be a high rate of usage. I’d say 10% of base model which is around 8% of total sales. So we are looking at .8% of total sales. .008*190000 = 1520 units if everybody orders those 190000 units. Less if less turn to orders. Though the 4.46 ratio is used on manual for other models also. I just though it odd how it was presented as the same diff in the badlands and black diamond automatics and doesn’t reference open diff as in the 3.73 ratio on the automatics.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Really? I don’t think the base manual option will be a high rate of usage. I’d say 10% of base model which is around 8% of total sales. So we are looking at .8% of total sales. .008*190000 = 1520 units if everybody orders those 190000 units. Less if less turn to orders. Though the 4.46 ratio is used on manual for other models also. I just though it odd how it was presented as the same diff in the badlands and black diamond automatics and doesn’t reference open diff as in the 3.73 ratio on the automatics.

Doesn't matter what the take rate is, they are still cheaper. Most businesses try to maximize profits, so using a more expensive axle in place of a cheaper one would never make sense. The base and BB will both use the open 4.46 axle.

I think maybe you are confusing what they are saying. The 4.46 gears are used in the auto BD and BL, but it is not the same axle.

Last edited:

ric42pars

Black Diamond
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ok. But don’t underestimate the price reduction for buying many of the same axles at one price. Can reduce your unit cost to the price of the least expensive one and you only have one part number and one set of service parts to deal with. I do this everyday at work.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ok. But don’t underestimate the price reduction for buying many of the same axles at one price. Can reduce your unit cost to the price of the least expensive one and you only have one part number and one set of service parts to deal with. I do this everyday at work.

I don't doubt you, but open diff axles are a lot cheaper than e-locker axles and there is no volume discount that is going to overcome that. Cheaper is still cheaper, no matter how few you buy.

Haystack

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just so everyone's on the same page here, all of the trims have the same rear axle which is a M220 Dana 44 regardless of gear ratio and differential options.
Sponsored