First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Listen to your wife - get a second key fob, you need a back up anyway. In addition, the other options (app, key pad) will work for this.
A lot of aftermarket key fobs are junk and dealers have trouble getting them to program.

I purchased an identical bronco key fob from a sit called car and trucks remotes.

came in a week. Look identical. Had it programmed shortly after I got it.

cost was around $90 for the remote and there usually will be a cost to have the dealer program it (50-150). Mine took approx 20 min for dealer to program. Works perfect.

I have three fobs now. I got an extra so I can leave it at our lake house as a spare in case I lose one while I am up there.
Sponsored

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I did see the other posts about locking things but the focus there seemed to be NOT wanting to lock the keys in the car. Here I WANT TO lock them in but have a way to (a) let the shuttle service drive it, then (b) lock it but still (c) let us unlock it six days later 100 miles away.

I saw a reference to the FordPass app. Hmm I will look into that too.

If the shuttle service will be driving your vehicle be sure to turn on VALET MODE - for safety.

OmahaKevin

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

A lot of aftermarket key fobs are junk and dealers have trouble getting them to program.

I purchased an identical bronco key fob from a sit called car and trucks remotes.

came in a week. Look identical. Had it programmed shortly after I got it.

cost was around $90 for the remote and there usually will be a cost to have the dealer program it (50-150). Mine took approx 20 min for dealer to program. Works perfect.

I have three fobs now. I got an extra so I can leave it at our lake house as a spare in case I lose one while I am up there.
If you have two fobs you do not need to have the dealer program the third. You can do it yourself. Check the manual.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is the reason I balled out and paid $110 for the keypad!

Related to the OP situation, I also programmed a cheap $18 used key from ebay to the Bronco in case I lose one fob, I still have two to be able to program a third.

Sponsored

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We are rafting in Idaho for 6 days and they will shuttle the car (truck? What do we call these Bronco things?). I can’t find my second key fob so am looking for a way to have them lock the keys in but let me later unlock it. Nothing seems foolproof but the best we’ve got is we leave them the FOB while we take the removable KEY. My wife is lobbying for just order a second fob which we need anyhow.

As I said this needs to be foolproof. Where we pick up the car is still pretty remote!
keyless door pad entry works for me

DOUBLED16

Outer Banks
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Another option is just leave the roof off and climb on in! Ha ha!

I use FordPass myself since I didn't bother to get the keypad (had it on my F-150 and used it exactly once) and just easier but yes that does require cell service as someone mentioned.

Fmuguira

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
In Idaho many, many places the river shuttles leave vehicles WONT have cell service for useage of FordPass….. just so you know.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I would say keypad or take the physical key with you and lock the fob. If you have a soft-top you could always just lock the doors and crawl in through the rear window when you get back.

Other option is to buy waterproof bag and STRAP it to yourself. I emphasize strapping the key to yourself as losing the only key fob would be detrimental for several reasons.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

In Idaho many, many places the river shuttles leave vehicles WONT have cell service for useage of FordPass….. just so you know.
Yeah, a whole lot of Idaho has no cell service.

The best solution is to use a keypad. That allows you to lock the doors with the key inside, which you can't do (at least on mine) by just pressing a lock button or something. You can also pull the physical "key" out of the FOB and unlock the door with that. I went to a quality locksmith and had a copy of that made to keep on my key ring, in case the keypad doesn't work someday. I had one time in the rain when it didn't want to unlock the car and I had that key made the next day. Opening it that way results in the alarm going off if you don't start it within a rather short time.

The correct solution here is to get the keypad entry.

Sponsored

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
What happened to old school hiding the key/fob on the outside of the vehicle somewhere? It’s rural Idaho not downtown somewhere…have them put it up on a skid plate or myriad other little spots underneath.

trickewon

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt convertible
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If u lock ur key fob in vehicle won't it still unlock for any one who touches the door handle sensor?

Bronc’n Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I put a keypad on the back and wrap the keyfob in aluminum foil and lock in the Bronco. The reason I do this is I scuba dive so my phone is in the rig. I put the keypad on the back door (some put in the gas fill cavity. You have to program the pad with FDRS for this system (used to do it like an extra FOB) it took me longer to hook up the laptop and access FDRS. Programming took under 2 minutes.

3EAEE122-3893-4274-B2AE-6F6D9A1BF9EF.jpeg

Solfive

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It looks like you have a soft top. I have a hardtop so forgive me in advance if this isn’t feasible. My soft top wranglers have all had rear or side windows that I could unzip/unvelcro and then reach in to manually unlock or open a door. Is this possible with the bronco soft top? I’ve done this for many years surfing, hiking, cycling with zero problems. I typically hide my keys on top of the roll bar where very few people would ever look.
Sponsored