Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion xB / Toyota Sienna. RIP my 96 Ranger Splash
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Future soft top owner here and am looking at lockbox options for the trunk/bed. Can the Bronco lock only the trunk and keep it locked if even if the doors stay unlocked? Not wanting to have my top slashed I'll likely keep the doors open for all. Some of these strongboxes rely on locking the tailgate which would be nulled if thieves can simply get in the cab and release the tailgate.

Option B is waiting for under-the-seat rear seat safe.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

MontyMoose

First Edition
First Name
Monty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Road Glide, 2018 F-150, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Haven't tried this myself, but you could try disconnecting the doors, and then use either the fob or the lock sensor that's built into the tailgate handle (if equipped) to test and see if it's at least possible. Granted this would be a royal PITA if you had to do this every time, but if it works, perhaps it could lead to a work around?

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I haven’t tried to lock only the tailgate but I do believe that when I grab the tailgate handle it only unlocks the tailgate. I believe it’s the same if I tap the lock button on the handle. There is no inside release to the tailgate and with the doors off there is no unlock button either. My lockable drawer has its own lock on it so even if they open the gate they will still have to take the time to destroy the lock drawer. Most theives seem to want fast in/out. At least that’s what I’m hoping lol.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

it's all or nothing I think, as far as I can tell. I don't think a thief would slash the top unless they are 8ft tall or bring a ladder, but the windows yes. Still faster and easier to pop a glass window though.

I think once there's no key anywhere near the unlock buttons on the doors don't work anymore, you can physically unlock the door with the lever, but nothing else should open. I have not tried it though.

I asked a similar question a while ago, if there's a way to keep the rear locked at all times there's no need for a drawer with a lock (that's usually flimsy anyway).

I won't ever leave anything "interesting" visible, but a nice drawer platform in the rear that also levels out with the seats folded down to allow sleeping is in my plans. Somewhat secure is a must for camera gear etc. All insured but I prefer to only pay for insurance and never talk to them otherwise.

Sponsored

elseminoleguapo

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Big brain move: unlock the doors, remove them, then lock the trunk.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wouldn't they only have to lower the rear seat back to gain access to your cargo area?

CjDuncan

Badlands
First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the Ford raised lid cargo cage. (there are some aftermarkets too I have seen) This secured the cargo area even if the rear seats are folded down. A key fob must be present to unlock any door, even using the button on the door. Therefore, if a person opened your driver door somehow, they could not unlock the tailgate without a key fob.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A key fob must be present to unlock any door, even using the button on the door.
Or a Keyless Entry Keypad, that will also open the doors without a key fob present. Maybe the more expensive trim levels are different, but on the Base, all doors unlock, including the tailgate, when any of them are unlocked.

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just unplug the power to the tailgate lock?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Mango&Moose

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion xB / Toyota Sienna. RIP my 96 Ranger Splash
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have the Ford raised lid cargo cage. (there are some aftermarkets too I have seen) This secured the cargo area even if the rear seats are folded down. A key fob must be present to unlock any door, even using the button on the door. Therefore, if a person opened your driver door somehow, they could not unlock the tailgate without a key fob.
Thank you

JaxGtc

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 EB Sport; 2021 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I rolled my windows down, locked the vehicle and put the fob 60 feet away inside my house. Hitting the button on the door unlocked all doors including the swingate

CjDuncan

Badlands
First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I rolled my windows down, locked the vehicle and put the fob 60 feet away inside my house. Hitting the button on the door unlocked all doors including the swingate
Wow, we had different results. That is strange. My alarm went off when i tried to do this and tailgate remained locked.
I have the High package. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Sponsored