Sponsored

Looking for kill switch. Two Ram TRX's stolen in my neighborhood in the last week!

NativeSoCal

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch 2D Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We’ve hidden Apple air tags in all of our vehicles and can use the “find my” feature on our iPhones to track the vehicle. Different tones for our Ring cameras will alert us if someone is in our driveway—and my phone is always within earshot. We also use the faraday bags for our key fobs.
Sponsored

CTwaterfowler

Outer Banks
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
use one of the upfitter switches. the wiring's already run already under the hood and have the dealer what wire to splice. sounds simple enough
Revelco installed on mine. Yes it can be towed, but highly unlikely it would go unnoticed being towed out of my driveway.
Nothing is 100 percent, this is close

sfonteno

Wildtrak
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Put in a kill switch or just remove a fuse?

I_Fly

Black Diamond
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Black Diamond (2023) - Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

In many ways vehicle security is better than it has ever been. Most likely these vehicles were taken with a fob signal booster. This device works like the range extender for Wifi. It boots the weak signal from the key fob and tricks the vehicle into thinking it is in the car. Some makes are more vulnerable than others.

The basic home security measures mentioned by others are most effective at protecting your home not the vehicles. Even that is a minor deterrent if someone sees something of yours they want. For vehicles It is a good idea to store the key fob as far away from the vehicles as possible and in a metal or RF resistant container. This will prevent the key fob range extender from working.

There are tools for lock smiths and dealers to create a key fob for vehicles. They should require VIN and proof of ownership. Easily faked or ignored by someone in need of a payoff. Something to cover the VIN under the windshield is not a bad idea. Black electrical tape should do it.

Personally, I would question the effectiveness of a kill switch type of device. If you are targeted there is a good chance you would be seen enabling or disabling it. That is all the information needed. Anything remote puts it into the same category as the key fob (same device may work). A small deterrent at best. If it does stop a thief, they are likely to take it out on your vehicle before leaving.

I'll add that it is very disappointing that the police didn't look at the VIN more closely. If the VIN on the dash/windshield was covered there are other places to find it.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Generally, it should be easiest to create something that impacts the fuel pump operation. I would think a switch mounted in the well in the back of the bronco. Even better if you have that locking compartment and the switch is in there.

Sponsored

Gnomad

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base 2 dr, 7MT EG
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Some of you are way overthinking this and honestly flattering yourselves. Thieves are targeting the TRX, Hellcats, etc, because they are high value vehicles and worth the risk to steal. Broncos other than Raptors just aren't that attractive.
We took our Bronco to the Bronco corral and Woodward Dream Cruise. At the hotel in Troy we were staying, a professional group of thieves showed up, with tow trucks, intending to steal some Challengers that were parked there. They showed up a bit late, at 0700 too many people are awake to get away easy and the theft was interrupted. If they had also been targeting Broncos there was one right there, sitting clear and easy.
If you have a high value low production vehicle within easy reach of Mexico you might need to worry. The rest of us are fine. I don't bother locking my Bronco at night because nobody is going to bother stealing it.

BenderSquatch

Big Bend
First Name
Suge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
And a security camera that will send a notification to your phone.

Don't forget to have a couple guard dogs too.

And an armed security guard in the bushes.

Lastly, don't forget the pocket sand. Your ultimate line of defence.
Well tested on the Bugabago, I guess? 😂😂😂

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have this thought:

First is, if someone wants it, they are going to get it. The old thought of "if you have the soft top on, just leave your doors unlocked" because that $20 pair of sunglasses they steal is worth less than the $2000 cloth top they just cut through to get them. So long as you have a way to track it (the air tags were a good idea. Ford Pass does something similar, but thieves will probably know that is there and disable it if they are smart) - then if it goes, call the cops and go get it back, hopefully before it gets too damaged or chopped up or whatever.

The more anti-theft devices you throw on it, the more work a thief has to go through to snag it, and the more inconvenience it is for you to operate it. So yeah, it may deter some. But for a committed thief, it just means that much more intrusive and destructive means they go through to get it. But you have to flip that switch every time you use the car, and you have to explain it to every mechanic and every valet. And it's another point that can fail.

So long as you have sufficient protection to be able to ensure you aren't found negligent and have good standing to file a claim (i.e. not just leaving the fob in the car), I feel comfortable in that level of protection for myself. Sure, it may happen, but I have recourse to deal with it.

In the long run though, it's about what you feel comfortable with. I live in a rural area, I rarely need to stay overnight in high risk areas, and Broncos aren't a particularly high-theft item (at least right now, they also don't have a terribly high population yet to have the opportunity, so that may change). If a kill switch or a lojack or whatever makes you feel better about it - then by all means.

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Coincidently I was just reading about key fob clone/hacking. And the recommendation to store keys when in a house, away from where the vehicle is located, and inside a metal container that won't allow someone outside the house to access the signal.

The article I was reading mentioned an increase in car thefts, and I'm thinking wait, I thought all this fancy non-key tech should be reducing vehicle theft? But apparently now when clicking the fob lock button in a parking lot, someone nearby can get that signal and use it as part of a car theft, wth?!
The fancy transponder type keys make it easier. Not just clicking a FOB button. The perps walk around the house with an antenna seeking to get it close enough to the transponder key which often people keep near the door and rely the signal between the transponder key and the car to make the car think it is in the car. Even if not near the door but simply close enough to an external wall they can still pick it up. Hence storing it in a shielded container.

jehines3

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX350L, Chevrolet Silverado, Lincoln MKC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Wire this to an aux s
Better. Fuel pump to an aux switch.
there's got to be a fuse jumper gizmo. Plugs into the fuse box, and it supplies Power into the down Stream side of the circuit. Or a relay that plugs in like a fuse. power suplied by an aux switch.. easy to reverse when you get dealer service. Like this if you cut one blade off the jumper
A2839AFD-7630-4B20-8ADC-E6E7B9535A96.jpeg
Use this and wire it to an overhead aux switch. It’s then easy to access and hidden in plain site like my Smith and Wesson.

Sponsored

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Below is copied & pasted:

Ford has introduced new key fobs with an integrated 'sleep' mode to tackle the possibility of car thefts. If you have not moved your key for more than 40 seconds, it assumes the sleep mode.

The idea is that when you leave the fob sitting near your door, it could be used for an easy forwarding attack to steal the car from your driveway. To prevent this, and to save battery life, it goes to sleep until it experiences motion.

The safest place to keep car keys at home is as far from the front door as possible. This will reduce the risk of them being grabbed and, in the case of modern car keys, prevent the wireless signal from being easily amplified in a relay theft.

AND, mines a manual too. HAHA.

Wildruby

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Some of you are way overthinking this and honestly flattering yourselves. Thieves are targeting the TRX, Hellcats, etc, because they are high value vehicles and worth the risk to steal. Broncos other than Raptors just aren't that attractive.
We took our Bronco to the Bronco corral and Woodward Dream Cruise. At the hotel in Troy we were staying, a professional group of thieves showed up, with tow trucks, intending to steal some Challengers that were parked there. They showed up a bit late, at 0700 too many people are awake to get away easy and the theft was interrupted. If they had also been targeting Broncos there was one right there, sitting clear and easy.
If you have a high value low production vehicle within easy reach of Mexico you might need to worry. The rest of us are fine. I don't bother locking my Bronco at night because nobody is going to bother stealing it.
Well I guess depends where you live. However, I got to disagree with you. I live in a nice neighbourhood. And woke up to my diesel wrangler stolen. Now maybe over seas the wrangler is more sought after? I would think it would be the same as the bronco?

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think it's funny people move to Idaho and say it's great! Boise and Pocatello are the 2nd coming of California.

When theft occurs in your neighborhood you need to evaluate the image your setting. If your the nicest house on the street your the target.

BigSkyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - '96 Toyota FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a California based business and Cali commuter, keep the hate alive.
Truly! Nobody should have to live here if they don’t want to. We have too many people so no offense taken if you leave.
The more folks that leave, the better the off-Roading, skiing, hiking, and surfing. Please, move to Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. It really is nicer there. Lol
You can try, but MT is now full!
Sponsored