Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Mattwings, how tall are you?
It’s not me (I’m 6’) it’s my wife and others who will get in and out of the vehicle. We have an 18 Explorer too, but we are often taking people around in whatever vehicle we have at the cabin. My hope is it’s the Bronco whenever possible. That means mom has to be able to climb in too ??
Sponsored

mdepll

Black Diamond
First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sorento
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Soft top isn’t too bad in the winter, our 4 door was a soft top and we had no problems as far as being cold. I prefer hard top myself though.
Just wondering if I can survive soft top until hard too becomes available then get it installed

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

dejones64,

You have caught me assuming that what I saw at Super Cel East is the BD build specification. I should know better!?
The attached photo is of the bare chassis on display at the meet - there is a plate (indicated in the attached photo) mounted below the fuel tank.
I did not think to get confirmation that the plates were any more real than white interiors, and the only other evidence I can present is the use of the plural 'HD Bash Plates' in the trim by trim specifications on the Bronco lineup page from the Ford website.
By 'plates' I have also assumed that includes all the red things attached to this chassis.
In summary, I do not know fer sure. Bueller? Anyone?

1604001508907.png

21_Bronco_lineup_HR_Page_2.jpg
Sure looks like it down there huh!? Thanks for the research and writeup! Would be nice, hate to bash a gas tank or drive shaft.

LMB

Black Diamond
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 F250 Superduty 2016 Jeep Wrangler 2door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
BD is my choice.
Best interior
Best grill/headlights
Best set of options for the $
That has been my opinion since I reserved and I am sticking with it

Grooticus

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I decided earlier today, subject to change obviously, that I should go BD for the AUX switches. We will see how long that decision lasts... lol

Sponsored

Calypso

Heritage
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Heritage, Cadillac CTS
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Video from Super Cel East contains discussion of the chassis & shows more of the red bash plates.

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So maybe a dumb question... But with the BD, since it has wash out floors, do you still need the floor liners? Not expensive, but just wondering.

Fwiw, I'm in the same boat dude. If BD had signature lights it'd be a done deal. But maybe that's my answer... Is the BB really worth it bc of the signature lights?

Ugh...........

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So maybe a dumb question... But with the BD, since it has wash out floors, do you still need the floor liners? Not expensive, but just wondering.

Fwiw, I'm in the same boat dude. If BD had signature lights it'd be a done deal. But maybe that's my answer... Is the BB really worth it bc of the signature lights?

Ugh...........
I would think you would use them to avoid wearing a heel mark on the drivers side at least. It's cheap insurance.

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Having a hell of a time choosing between the BD & BB.

near identical specs (2.3/7 spd/ rear locker/ mod bumper/brush guard/ rock rails/bikini top and roof rack)

BB has signature lighting, tow package (for recovery points since the BB doesn’t have rear hooks (I THINK?) and the matching grill to the top.

BD has the MGV and washout floors (obvi), upgraded t case, rear tow points, better tires to start with (can be changed later), and the ugly steelies scream functional to me.

I’m ultimately going up to 285/75r17 tires, it’ll be my DD and weekend warrior. I generally prefer functional over fancy, but dammit I’m torn.
I have a 5 y/o that is autistic whos my wheeling buddy every weekend, but he can be extra messy, which leans me towards mgv but not locked in.
Less than $500 difference.

I love smart ass comments, but if you want to be snarky or condescending, save the keystrokes for someone else.
I have been going back & forth on BB or BD also with the different gearing being my sticking point. I have been studying all the comments and googled the hell out the gear differences as I have no experience with choosing this. If anyone sees a flaw in my gearing conclusions please let me know.

I will do mostly street driving and am just getting into off road fun, so I expect either choice will do what I need. Leaning BB for gearing. BD seems like a great package for anyone going off road at all with steel rear bumper, MGV, washout floors and I like the basic steel wheel look also.

BB offers 3.73 or 4.27 with the 4.27 feeling like a sweet spot, get a little more torque for low end performance around town and also better than 3.73 for off road, without going to 4.46 which would cost in mileage. Clearly 3.73 is best for mileage and I am looking for the best of both worlds. I am going with the 2.7 and 10spd and think the tranny overdrive may make the 4.46 & mileage on the BD not a problem from what I read here.

I like everything about the BD, would have to move up to the 4.46 gearing though which makes the truck more off road worthy and gas mileage takes a hit with rpms running higher around town. Daily driving will be around town & wouldn't mind getting best mileage possible since this is most of my driving, that being said still want to be off road capable and not under geared if I want to challenge the truck.

Please provide any thoughts on what you feel is the best of both worlds gear or if I am looking at it wrong and should gear for the way I drive most of the time.

I found this chart which shows performance in rpms at 65mph using the BD tires size.
If you change to the BB tires size the rpms went down about 40 rpm give or take.
at 65 mph 3.73 rpm 2577
at 65 mph 3.27 rpm 2951
at 65 mph 4.56 (close as the chart gets to 4.46) rpm 3151

Gear Ratio / RPMs for New Tire (@ 65 mph)
2.352.732.943.073.213.313.423.553.733.914.114.274.564.885.135.295.385.716.177.17
16241886203221212218228723632453257727022840295131513372354536553718394642634954

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Ugh...........
I had rubber floors in my FJ and a floor liners were nice keeping all the grime on the mat and like others said it will keep from wear marks on the floor itself

What was annoying with my FJ is that the floor mats didn’t have a “lock” in option and they slid around quite a bit
I’m assuming Ford will make a locking mechanism for the floor liners on the rubberized floors

Sponsored

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I guess I didn’t understand the liners with a washout floor, kind of defeated the purpose. Basically pull the liners out and hose them off, never using the washout. Just my 2 cents.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I guess I didn’t understand the liners with a washout floor, kind of defeated the purpose. Basically pull the liners out and hose them off, never using the washout. Just my 2 cents.
For those with the washout, get the liners as it will contain the large mess and avoid wear marks in the flooring such as a driver's heel by the accelerator. @BroncoJay The liners underside matches the channels of the washout floor so the liners won't slip/slide.

Personally, I'm fine with the carpet interior with the liners. I would have went a WeatherTek route. But seeing the liners and how far up the sides they cover, they will work great. The carpet will serve as an additional layer of sound deadening. My carpet in my Jeep looks brand-new after 17 years of usage. I'm at the beach 5 days a week and still manage to keep my feet on the mats.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have been going back & forth on BB or BD also with the different gearing being my sticking point. I have been studying all the comments and googled the hell out the gear differences as I have no experience with choosing this. If anyone sees a flaw in my gearing conclusions please let me know.

I will do mostly street driving and am just getting into off road fun, so I expect either choice will do what I need. Leaning BB for gearing. BD seems like a great package for anyone going off road at all with steel rear bumper, MGV, washout floors and I like the basic steel wheel look also.

BB offers 3.73 or 4.27 with the 4.27 feeling like a sweet spot, get a little more torque for low end performance around town and also better than 3.73 for off road, without going to 4.46 which would cost in mileage. Clearly 3.73 is best for mileage and I am looking for the best of both worlds. I am going with the 2.7 and 10spd and think the tranny overdrive may make the 4.46 & mileage on the BD not a problem from what I read here.

I like everything about the BD, would have to move up to the 4.46 gearing though which makes the truck more off road worthy and gas mileage takes a hit with rpms running higher around town. Daily driving will be around town & wouldn't mind getting best mileage possible since this is most of my driving, that being said still want to be off road capable and not under geared if I want to challenge the truck.

Please provide any thoughts on what you feel is the best of both worlds gear or if I am looking at it wrong and should gear for the way I drive most of the time.

I found this chart which shows performance in rpms at 65mph using the BD tires size.
If you change to the BB tires size the rpms went down about 40 rpm give or take.
at 65 mph 3.73 rpm 2577
at 65 mph 3.27 rpm 2951
at 65 mph 4.56 (close as the chart gets to 4.46) rpm 3151

Gear Ratio / RPMs for New Tire (@ 65 mph)
2.352.732.943.073.213.313.423.553.733.914.114.274.564.885.135.295.385.716.177.17
16241886203221212218228723632453257727022840295131513372354536553718394642634954
You describe most of your driving as street driving, but is that city or highway? In Delray, you aren't traveling city streets at 65 mph. You say you want to be able to challenge the truck? Are you planning on slick rock crawling in Moab? Or are you planning on hitting forest service roads? Do you plan on towing in any capacity?

Rover72

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR, 18 Cadillac XT5
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You describe most of your driving as street driving, but is that city or highway? In Delray, you aren't traveling city streets at 65 mph. You say you want to be able to challenge the truck? Are you planning on slick rock crawling in Moab? Or are you planning on hitting forest service roads? Do you plan on towing in any capacity?
Am a 2 year transplant from NE. expecting to get out of Florida 2 -3 times a year (anywhere in the country that looks cool to 4x4) and find other terrain to have fun off road. Will not be towing. Currently driving mostly Palm Beach County major arteries at average 50 mph, some highway not much now until new Bronco takes me to out of state parks in the future. Plan to drive back to NE a couple times a year putting on highway miles. Will be exploring many off road venues across FL (flat & swampy - I am thinking). Thx for your advice!

Garemlin

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
---
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m getting black diamond like the grill on it but wish they gave everyone choice in what grill they want. They should of made the black diamond grill grey too so it matched the top another missed opportunity bye the rockstars
Not being mean. But the grille is the siliest reason to pick a trim level. The grille is going to be one of the easiest changes to make. Be it one from a different trim, or aftermarket.
Sponsored