Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Apparently my father in law served in the national guard for a year back when he was in college in 1970. I now qualify for the USAA rates. Score!
Sponsored

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What don’t you understand?
Why you'd finance a depreciating asset for so long. Either you can afford it or you can't. I guess if you're getting super low interest rates it's not terrible but just the concept hurts my savings I guess.

OP
OP
adk749

adk749

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Why you'd finance a depreciating asset for so long. Either you can afford it or you can't. I guess if you're getting super low interest rates it's not terrible but just the concept hurts my savings I guess.
With interest rates near zero, you should borrow money for as long as possible. Your money should be in other appreciating assets. Why drop $50k into a car when you can put $50k into an investment with returns much, much greater than the interest rate you'd pay on a car loan. I could walk into my dealership and write them a check, but that would be the worst place for my money. Simple finance 101.

Sponsored

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What the OP said. However many of us are not flush with $50k cash in the bank earning a half percent or willing to convert an investment earning 8% when by borrowing that held investment only drops to 6%, not 0%. We are not all investment brokers or C&W stars or even YouTube sensations who have bamboozled you by your following them for their early delivery to certainly be fully paid for. PPO5. Or it may boil down to monthly cash flow.

If it were a business deductible asset the smartest move is to match the loan length to the depreciate life. It is personal use and you can afford the monthly payment smartest would be to only borrow for as long as the factory warranty is in effect

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Bofa doesn't have 1.29 for 72. I have another bofa car loan and excellent fico and 2.29 was best they would do. They said only way for this to be a bit lower, like 1.99, is if you had significant $ in a checking or banking account with them. I don't bank with them just have loans or credit card so I didn't qualify for that lower rate given to some banking account members.
Not quite true…..I have no banking relationship with BofA except an Alaska Airlines Visa card. When I initially applied, it was 2.09, then upon approval, it was 1.99, then upon finalizing the loan, it dropped to 1.94 for 60 months. My 2 credit unions were higher. I made a 30% down payment that could have made the slight reduction possible.

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Not quite true…..I have no banking relationship with BofA except an Alaska Airlines Visa card. When I initially applied, it was 2.09, then upon approval, it was 1.99, then upon finalizing the loan, it dropped to 1.94 for 60 months. My 2 credit unions were higher. I made a 30% down payment that could have made the slight reduction possible.
He said for 72 months. Their rate for 60 months is sub 2.0%. And he said 1.29% for 72 months which isn't possible.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LarryZiegler

Outer Banks
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You could pay less interest to have shorter loan terms and higher interest rates...
He said for 72 months. Their rate for 60 months is sub 2.0%.
if I recall correctly, my initial 2.09 rate was good for up to 72 months, a longer term that I had no intention of taking.

Bt_ostate

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor 2021 Bronco 4-Door FE
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
if I recall correctly, my initial 2.09 rate was good for up to 72 months, a longer term that I had no intention of taking.
Okay.. and. That isn't 1.29% and I got 1.99 for 72 months a few months ago on my truck, but 2.29 was as good as bofa would do now with an over 800 fico and almost 40% down.

Subtle rate changes can vary by state etc but they aren't going down to 1.29% on 72 months

RubiconSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BadSquatch, 2021 JLUR, 2008 JK-X, 65 Elco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Auto loan rates differ by market, not just by bank. Advertised rates are either nationwide rates or they are pulling your location before displaying the rate. All depends on who they can buy the money from in your market. Location info with these quotes would help demonstrate… but if one person gets 1.29 for 72 and you get 2.29 as lowest possible offer, doesn’t mean the first guy is lying. He probably just lives in a more competitive market.

Markpf189

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My local credit union is offering 1.74% for 60 months but it’s only good for 30 days, and I think my Bronco will be here right around then. I’m a bit worried rates will go up soon..so I’m going to apply sooner rather than later.

Just curious how pissed to dealers get when you show up with your own financing?

RubiconSasquatch

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BadSquatch, 2021 JLUR, 2008 JK-X, 65 Elco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IME they don’t like it, but most I have dealt with would just try really hard to match or beat it rather than getting pissed. I would say that if you plan to go that route, do all of your price, accessory, warranty negotiations first before you talk financing. Get your deal done the way you want it while they still think they have some back end to make on the money part.
Sponsored