Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So after the whole trail event where a Bronco busted a transmission pan I decided I was going to get a transmission skid myself. I appreciate everyone that reached out with ideas. I liked that aftermarket transmission pan made out of aluminum but at $260 it was kinda steep. It also didn't solve the issue of the pan getting hit either... Sure, it was stronger then plastic but a solid hit to the pan doesn't sound good even if its metal. I decided I wanted something to prevent the pan getting hit at all.

Enter Mabett: A small company based out of China that sells their product on Amazon. They sell an aluminum transmission pan skid plate for $130 that bolts right up to the Ford Factory skid plates. Its cheap, it has drain holes, and tucks up nicely. Its also light, rigid enough and comes with bolt head protectors so the heads dont' shear off from hitting rocks.

Is this better than full belly skids? No. Is it insanely cheap and going to protect my pan? Yes. Now I know some people are going to point out that its cheap and will just bend when it hits rocks, thats a possibility but honestly I don't care... Its a skid plate and if it bends a little its under the car and nothing but the skid plate is broken. I'm going to run this for now while I look into more permanent options that will work with my Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount (RCI and ARB and JCR's stuff wont work with it). Eventually I will be replacing the factory skid on the transfer case and front diff as they are getting beat up pretty bad and might be toward the end of their usable life. If I can't find a decent option I may opt to hire my local fab shop to make me custom sids.

I digress: The Mabett skid plate is pretty stout, thick aluminum, very light and comes with all the hardware. The bends have some gaps in them but seem strong enough and the powder coat is honestly top notch. Much better quality then other, way more expensive stuff i've ordered.

The installation of the plate is easy enough though Mabett sends you two sets of instructions with the same idea for installation but different wording and different pics... Pretty weird but it doesnt make it hard at all to understand. Mabett claims it only works for the 2.3 Bronco.

Unfortunately for me, I have absolutely destroyed my factory bolt heads. They were all pancaked and ground down from rocks. I don't have the time or tools so I went to my buddy's shop at JC Performance and he removed the junked Ford skid bolts for me. We discovered that the bolts have tacked on nuts in the frame that had broken free so it was a pain to remove. We replaced the ford hardware with nutserts into the frame and 3/8th bolts.

After all that was done... (why do 20 min jobs always become 2 hr jobs?). The skid plate fit like a glove and the actual installation was a breeze. It doesn't appear to lose more then 1/2'' of clearance below the transmission pan and has enough gap in case the skid gets dinged up, nothing will push into the pan. I love it! Now to hit up Moab again this year and the Rubicon and test it out! https://www.amazon.com/Mabett-Trans...mzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0
Ford Bronco Mabett 2.3 transmission skid install/review 139D1138-BE0D-4ABA-B651-4D04D4C7527D

Ford Bronco Mabett 2.3 transmission skid install/review 1AB6E7AC-EEAC-48FB-A9EF-E61E406CFA4E

Ford Bronco Mabett 2.3 transmission skid install/review 36DC0095-1FB8-4551-B454-6359FC436506

Ford Bronco Mabett 2.3 transmission skid install/review 67C162D0-604D-4CA2-B3FE-47D7D693382A

Ford Bronco Mabett 2.3 transmission skid install/review D286BAD7-3814-494C-8EF3-9FDEE5C0F0DC
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice review. I think it's a tremendous value for money. I haven't really put mine through it's paces yet so I can't say what kind of abuse it will take.

I skipped the included hardware, the first time those aluminum "bolt head protectors" smash into a rock they'll crush into the head and you'll never get a socket in there without hassle. I squared up my rashed stock bolt heads with a grinder and reused them.

Sponsored
OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nice, you never met a rock you didn’t like huh? What are your rock rails?
Custom built by a now defunct 4x4 shop local to me. Had em made due to lack of frame mounted sliders when I took order

Reactions: 0ne

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just installed a mabett skid plate on my 2.3. The instructions included are unclear, the video on Amazon is a much better guide for how to install. All you need is a 16 mm socket and wrench, I recommend an impact wrench.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So after the whole trail event where a Bronco busted a transmission pan I decided I was going to get a transmission skid myself. I appreciate everyone that reached out with ideas. I liked that aftermarket transmission pan made out of aluminum but at $260 it was kinda steep. It also didn't solve the issue of the pan getting hit either... Sure, it was stronger then plastic but a solid hit to the pan doesn't sound good even if its metal. I decided I wanted something to prevent the pan getting hit at all.

Enter Mabett: A small company based out of China that sells their product on Amazon. They sell an aluminum transmission pan skid plate for $130 that bolts right up to the Ford Factory skid plates. Its cheap, it has drain holes, and tucks up nicely. Its also light, rigid enough and comes with bolt head protectors so the heads dont' shear off from hitting rocks.

Is this better than full belly skids? No. Is it insanely cheap and going to protect my pan? Yes. Now I know some people are going to point out that its cheap and will just bend when it hits rocks, thats a possibility but honestly I don't care... Its a skid plate and if it bends a little its under the car and nothing but the skid plate is broken. I'm going to run this for now while I look into more permanent options that will work with my Rough Country Hidden Winch Mount (RCI and ARB and JCR's stuff wont work with it). Eventually I will be replacing the factory skid on the transfer case and front diff as they are getting beat up pretty bad and might be toward the end of their usable life. If I can't find a decent option I may opt to hire my local fab shop to make me custom sids.

I digress: The Mabett skid plate is pretty stout, thick aluminum, very light and comes with all the hardware. The bends have some gaps in them but seem strong enough and the powder coat is honestly top notch. Much better quality then other, way more expensive stuff i've ordered.

The installation of the plate is easy enough though Mabett sends you two sets of instructions with the same idea for installation but different wording and different pics... Pretty weird but it doesnt make it hard at all to understand. Mabett claims it only works for the 2.3 Bronco.

Unfortunately for me, I have absolutely destroyed my factory bolt heads. They were all pancaked and ground down from rocks. I don't have the time or tools so I went to my buddy's shop at JC Performance and he removed the junked Ford skid bolts for me. We discovered that the bolts have tacked on nuts in the frame that had broken free so it was a pain to remove. We replaced the ford hardware with nutserts into the frame and 3/8th bolts.

After all that was done... (why do 20 min jobs always become 2 hr jobs?). The skid plate fit like a glove and the actual installation was a breeze. It doesn't appear to lose more then 1/2'' of clearance below the transmission pan and has enough gap in case the skid gets dinged up, nothing will push into the pan. I love it! Now to hit up Moab again this year and the Rubicon and test it out! https://www.amazon.com/Mabett-Trans...mzn1.fos.f5122f16-c3e8-4386-bf32-63e904010ad0
Ford Bronco Mabett 2.3 transmission skid install/review D286BAD7-3814-494C-8EF3-9FDEE5C0F0DC

Nice pics, thanks. I'm still not sure why it drops that 1/2", unless you have sway bar disco I don't think you'd need it. Thinking about ordering and trying an inverted mount, but that would require straightening out the bends in the rear and maybe a slight bend the other way forward of the crossover pipe.

I'd gain an inch of clearance...and it's always that bottom inch that hangs up...

OP
OP
popo_patty

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Nice pics, thanks. I'm still not sure why it drops that 1/2", unless you have sway bar disco I don't think you'd need it. Thinking about ordering and trying an inverted mount, but that would require straightening out the bends in the rear and maybe a slight bend the other way forward of the crossover pipe.

I'd gain an inch of clearance...and it's always that bottom inch that hangs up...
Well I’ve tested this in the rocks at KOH this week and it slid over several rocks with ease. It didn’t seem to hang up on anything that my diff skid hung up on either. It’s a barely noticiable difference honestly when you see it in person as far as hanging down… but since it’s aluminum it just slides over the rocks. Took a hard hit once and no dent. Retained its shape. I’m hooked

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Will it work with a 7MT?

Sponsored

emaier

Outer Banks
First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Laramie
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Do you think this would work on the 2.7?

emaier

Outer Banks
First Name
eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Laramie
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thank you, you saved me some time.