Sponsored

Major Paint Chipping in less then 600 miles of driving (ON SNOW!)

mikeymcbryan

Base
First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Bronco Major Paint Chipping in less then 600 miles of driving (ON SNOW!) IMG_2774

More Pictures are Below.

Total Mileage: 1100 KM's
Condition: Bone Stock

I swear I have been taking it easy and have not driven it off-road yet. It's too cold out for that now.

Less than a month and 600 miles on my Base 2 Door Sasquatch and it's already covered in "too the metal" paint chips. It's obviously coming from gravel being flung up from the 35 inch Goodyears. But I haven't taken it off-road yet and it's only seen paved streets with gravel put on for traction (as Salt is useless at the deep cold temps we get up here, -40).

There is already rust forming in the holes (*EDIT on the rockers) and I have driven up here my whole life and have never seen anything like this so quickly. Especially in the winter.

I don't know what to do. This is fully stock and I don't know if this is a paint defect but if this continues like this next Summer this thing would look ten years old.

Taking it to the dealer on Monday for an inspection.

Drivers side door jam
Ford Bronco Major Paint Chipping in less then 600 miles of driving (ON SNOW!) IMG_2771

Mid Door panel on the Passenger side
Ford Bronco Major Paint Chipping in less then 600 miles of driving (ON SNOW!) IMG_2773
Ford Bronco Major Paint Chipping in less then 600 miles of driving (ON SNOW!) IMG_2777

And even under the Door handle
Ford Bronco Major Paint Chipping in less then 600 miles of driving (ON SNOW!) IMG_2778
Sponsored

Last edited:

BroncoKing610

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2.7L Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Send it to the dealer, looks like bad paint job/blisters and not chipped paint. Prob moisture under the paint & when it froze must've popped up

zombie

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands (7spd) 2022 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
IMG_2774.jpg

More Pictures are Below.

Total Mileage: 1100 KM's
Condition: Bone Stock

I swear I have been taking it easy and have not driven it off-road yet. It's too cold out for that now.

Less than a month and 600 miles on my Base 2 Door Sasquatch and it's already covered in "too the metal" paint chips. It's obviously coming from gravel being flung up from the 35 inch Goodyears. But I haven't taken it off-road yet and it's only seen paved streets with gravel put on for traction (as Salt is useless at the deep cold temps we get up here, -40).

There is already rust forming in the holes and I have driven up here my whole life and have never seen anything like this so quickly. Especially in the winter.

I don't know what to do. This is fully stock and I don't know if this is a paint defect but if this continues like this next Summer this thing would look ten years old and already rusting.

Taking it to the dealer on Monday for an inspection.

Drivers side door jam
IMG_2771.jpg

Mid Door panel on the Passenger side
IMG_2773.jpg
IMG_2777.jpg

And even under the Door handle
IMG_2778.jpg
Get some of these. Any brand. It's been brought up here a lot. Conversely, I have no chips, and I've done a bunch of snow, and gravel road driving.

Ford Bronco Major Paint Chipping in less then 600 miles of driving (ON SNOW!) IMG_9342

Ford Bronco Major Paint Chipping in less then 600 miles of driving (ON SNOW!) IMG_9282

Sponsored
OP
OP
mikeymcbryan

mikeymcbryan

Base
First Name
Mikey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can you share close-up photos of the rust on aluminum door panels/fender/quarter panel?
*I do admit I thought the door jam was at least steel. it's the rockers on both sides (cleaned then)
Ford Bronco Major Paint Chipping in less then 600 miles of driving (ON SNOW!) IMG_2781

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Get some of these. Any brand. It's been brought up here a lot. Conversely, I have no chips, and I've done a bunch of snow, and gravel road driving.

Ford Bronco Major Paint Chipping in less then 600 miles of driving (ON SNOW!) IMG_2781

Are those the $50 Ford ones?

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A lot of that doesn’t look like rock chips to me. There also seem to be a lot of inclusions in that paint. Definitely take it in.

Dave-O

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150/Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sponsored

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ford part numbers:
Front- M2DZ-16A550-AA
Rear- M2DZ-16A550-BB
I got mine on sale at Stage 3 Motorsports.

Ice Age

Raptor
First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You are in a tough part of the country and can only imagine whats on the roads during the winter months. I wound install mud flaps and do a Paint Protection Film on the lower part of the vehicle.

Bongo Fury

Base
First Name
Bongo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base
> lack of any partial chip divots....all being to the metal
> chip on the underside of the door handle tough location for gravel but not impossible.

I'd go with Broncoking610 and say there was a primer adhesion failure to get to the point of bare metal

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak