Ziemann

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco 2-Door 2.3 MT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I now have 500 miles on BG Synchro Shift II that I put in after break in. The "noise" continues to be less obvious even when cold, and shifts continue to be very smooth even on 20 degree F cold mornings up here. I am hoping to buy myself some time until Ford can come up with a more permanent MT fix.....
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can't say I've ever seen MT fluid that thin at room temp, but the Redline seemed as thin going back in. Added around 2.8 quarts before it started coming out.
They use thin oil in transmissions these days largely for fuel economy reasons. And it too caught me by surprise to the first time I dealt with it. Definitely not like the manuals of old.

---

Anyway, I was going to copy ya'll and bought some fluid that I intended to put it in my Bronco. BUT, since I've been approved for a transmission replacement anyway, I opted to just use the fluid for my Focus since it was over-due (by my standards, which is every 30k). I will say that was... uhh... rather annoying project to do in your driveway.

But, I'll be watching this thread and closely waiting for ya'll to report back on the results.

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Can't say I've ever seen MT fluid that thin at room temp, but the Redline seemed as thin going back in. Added around 2.8 quarts before it started coming out.
Let us know if you feel any difference. I'm tempted to run BG but I'm a loyal Amsoil fan...

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Let us know if you feel any difference. I'm tempted to run BG but I'm a loyal Amsoil fan...

Drove it to work tonight, which was only 14 miles, so hard to say any change. It shifted pretty smooth before and didn't seem any different. Should be in the 40s in the morning when I leave work, so I'll see if I notice any difference then.

One thing I did notice while changing it was how cloudy the original fluid was. Have no idea if it is like that new, but it seemed to have particulate matter, almost milky, but not watery, if that makes sense.

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Drove it to work tonight, which was only 14 miles, so hard to say any change. It shifted pretty smooth before and didn't seem any different. Should be in the 40s in the morning when I leave work, so I'll see if I notice any difference then.

One thing I did notice while changing it was how cloudy the original fluid was. Have no idea if it is like that new, but it seemed to have particulate matter, almost milky, but not watery, if that makes sense.
You should've tested it. If I keep getting jerked around about the TSB not applying to 23's I'll change the fluid and have it tested.

Sponsored

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I put the BG in mine yesterday. Agree on the fluid look. The only issue was that the fill is directly over the exhaust crossover (2 door). I covered it with a bag so as to not get oil on it as it is sort of a clamshell heat shield. All in all very easy, lots of room to work.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I put the BG in mine yesterday. Agree on the fluid look. The only issue was that the fill is directly over the exhaust crossover (2 door). I covered it with a bag so as to not get oil on it as it is sort of a clamshell heat shield. All in all very easy, lots of room to work.

yeah, I had a nice fluid burn smell the first stop I made today. I think some got into the heat shield.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Anything new to report on this? Seems like the new D rings fix the issue. What I don't understand is that I had the noise all the time until today when the temps were in the 80's. Quiet as a mouse for the first time. At idle, in neutral, crawling slowly, didn't matter. Mine is not updated yet. The fluid is already very thin so what would higher temps have to do with it? Even when the temps were in the 70's, after driving for a long time with the fluid most likely warmed up it made the rattle. Today nothing. Just stumped as to the true cause.

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Anything new to report on this? Seems like the new D rings fix the issue. What I don't understand is that I had the noise all the time until today when the temps were in the 80's. Quiet as a mouse for the first time. At idle, in neutral, crawling slowly, didn't matter. Mine is not updated yet. The fluid is already very thin so what would higher temps have to do with it? Even when the temps were in the 70's, after driving for a long time with the fluid most likely warmed up it made the rattle. Today nothing. Just stumped as to the true cause.
Most assume spacing tolerances. Temp can effect that .001 of an inch. No oil, no matter how good, can make up for bad parts or bad machine work

Kerney

Outer Banks
First Name
Kerney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Miata SE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Quite the interesting thread. Just for the forums education the Ford manual transmission fluid is the 'magic juice' that everyone on the Miata forum uses. I know I have it in my Miata and it did help smooth out my shifting. Before you poo poo it the MIata is probably the most raced car produced so I wouldn't just throw out their recommendations. I'd go to other forums for vehicles that are primarily manual transmission cars and see what their recommendations are. I'm betting this is more of a transmission issue vs a fluid issue. The ND (4th / current generation) Miata had transmission issues when it was first introduced.

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Im curious.
So you can look at oil and tell what the viscosity should be based on how it ‘drains’?
And what additives are needed on that diagnosis?

Are any of you either old enough or can remember the whole NV4500 fluid debacle?

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have not seen anyone say that they can tell the viscosity and additives by looking at the fluid. There are posts in here however that show the differences between the fluids available that meet Ford's spec.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Did a little over 1000 miles today. 5K miles in the last 4 weeks. Seems to be handling the sustained use fine.
Any noticeable difference?
Sponsored