First Name
Shon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
32 Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So if delivery is summer now and if I order the Modular FE Levine said it would still be a 2021 delivery. So that’s just potentially a few months delay....

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So if delivery is summer now and if I order the Modular FE Levine said it would still be a 2021 delivery. So that’s just potentially a few months delay....
2021 could means through December. New model years don’t start in September anymore.

Kren

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sequoia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So can the MIC hardtop be painted after purchase in a reliable way? I want to get the hardtop and need the vehicle next summer, but want it white.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So can the MIC hardtop be painted after purchase in a reliable way? I want to get the hardtop and need the vehicle next summer, but want it white.
Doubtful. Textured surfaces are problematic.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Pdaddy

Badlands
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yukon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Probably a better idea to get it wrapped

mcdoogs

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Ford Focus ST, 21 Mercedes Benz E350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Seems like people are saying the texture and material of the MIC is hard to bond paint to or something.

I think I’m going to go ahead with the MIC on my 2021 reservation, and just buy a white mod top later?‍♂

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@broadicustomworks might have a thread on just that topic in the search.

OP
OP

Pdaddy

Badlands
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yukon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are a lot of pics of the Sport in Area 51 with the black roof and I think it’s a great combo.
I’ve decided to go with the mod top in shadow black. The removable side windows on the clam shell also sold me.

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mentioned it several times in other threads, and I think at least a couple specific to painting the tops... but things get lost over time, buried, etc. And the search feature yields a LOT of results, not all factual.
Long story short, most ANYTHING is paintable with some expertise and $.
I've seen the MIC in person at Supercel East. The texture is identical to the texture on aftermarket motorcycle speaker pods.
I've painted several sets of those, and not all were successful, even with everything done textbook correctly.
The texture makes it extremely difficult to get the lower surfaces below and in between the texture scuffed adequately for paint/primer to bond to without going at it with a sander and flattening the texture out.
Adhesion promoters go a long way to helping this, and there are specialty primers out there to aid in bonding. But they are not cheap for stuff that actually works.
I've painted and Raptor-lined numerous Jeep tops, and they do well. But they lack the same texture, and look to be a completely different material based on what I was able to see at the event.
The voids in between the texture on a Jeep top are larger, the texture not as consistent and packed in (actually continuous, as the whole top is just a continuous topo map type texture) as the MIC Bronco tops. In comparison, the Jeep tops are actually fairly smooth with just a bit of texture.
Bottom line:
It is possible, it can be done, and most likely would end up fine adhesion-wise. But it's not the best idea.
An alternative is to be able to sand that down, apply a tintable liner. I've done a few in tintable and the color still seems fine several years in.

USASAIL

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo S90, Chevy Suburban, Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I stopped by a body shop today that does some pretty custom stuff on top of the normal insurance to ask about painting the top. He said that he wouldn't want to attempt it. He said one little chip and the paint just starts peeling off the textured material. His best guess, it would look OK for a year. He recommended I go the the LineX guy and have it painted, they can pretty much match any color with that stuff he thinks. Obviously the LineX will have texture. That seems the way to go to get my white top.

Chuckster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those that have seen some of the demo's driving around, have we confirmed that the MIC top matches the fender flares? Seems from pics to be the same material and color, but curious if anyone know for sure. thanks

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
For those that have seen some of the demo's driving around, have we confirmed that the MIC top matches the fender flares? Seems from pics to be the same material and color, but curious if anyone know for sure. thanks
They do not match. The fenders are darker.
Ford Bronco MIC Hardtop vs Modular Painted 1611293203906
Sponsored