First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As long as the mechanic feels it's good, I say proceed. Whatever he finds, bring to the selling dealer and ask them to address anything before you purchase. I think I recall this dealer is far away, so you wouldn't want to have to try to get it done after. This should include the alignment, or if they don't want to do the alignment (maybe they don't have the equipment), have them knock off $200 (or whatever the cost of an alignment is in your area).
I asked the mechanic to write a quote for any repairs or service it might need. With the invoice in hand, I'll negotiate with the dealer for them to either do the service or knock it off the price so I can pay the mechanic to do it. If it does need an alignment, which it sure looks like, I want to do that before I drive 11 hours home.
Sponsored

KillerPenz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Okay y'all. The news so far today for those following along at home:
  • I found a very well reviewed independent mechanic who is willing to do an inspection and a test drive. He pulled up the listing and the Carfax and agrees there's uneven tire wear and the camber looks strange. I'm currently waiting on the dealership to give me permission for them to take it to their shop.
  • I went to my local Ford dealer and there was nothing alarming in OASIS. Regular oil changes and maintenance. The first owner had a premium warranty but never needed to use it.
  • I called the shop that did the first alignment at 5k miles. The alignment was needed because the owner installed aftermarket parts (which I'm assuming is the tie rods). This means they were installed before 6000 miles, maybe because the owner knew about the tie rod failures.
  • I called the VW that wound up with it. Their service department had nothing remarkable to say. It went to auction because it wasn't a typical vehicle you'd find on their lot and they were selling high at auction back in 2022.
  • I called all the Ford dealers who serviced it. They also had nothing remarkable in their notes.
  • The mechanic I called this morning seems to think this was only a 2 owner vehicle and Carfax was confused by owner 2 moving back and forth between NC and Illinois. If you look at the Carfax, it actually wound up at the exact dealership it's sitting at right now back in 2022. It was registered in NC, then registered in Illinois, then registered in NC twice more. It's likely this Bronco had a SC owner to start, then got a NC owner who moved back and forth from Chicago. I'd imagine the Bronco wasn't the best for traveling such a far distance, so it was traded to the Toyota dealer it's currently sitting at.
Any thoughts with all this new information? I still want the mechanic to inspect it, but my fears have been reduced slightly knowing it probably only had 2 owners.
I just read through this thread and I agree, camber off for sure. Toed-in and I would call it.

I think your 1st step you mention above is absolutely the way to go. Have a local mechanic give a good look at it. Any repairs that are suggested, definitely take back to the dealer as a bargaining too.

From there, it just depends on the luck you typically have with used vehicles. I bought a 2012 Mustang used with 36k miles on it. I ran it to over 236k miles and never had an issue. At the same time, bought the wife a used Jeep years ago, and 2 weeks later the axles was leaking fluid everywhere. It's a crap shoot basically.

Currently, I'm running a 2021 BaseSquatch, over 66k miles on it. Worst problems I had were with those crappy sasquatch shocks leaking. In the process of switching over the the Bilstein 6100's. So if you can get that alignment figured out you "should" be in decent shape.

bjpatten

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey y'all. I'm a current Sport Badlands owner from NC who has been searching for a Bronco Badlands for a bit now. I love my Sport dearly, but really want the added capability of the full size to do more technical rock climbing and some more difficult trails. After all, it's about smiles per gallon, not MPG.

1000003367.jpg

I found a used 2 door 2021 Badlands with Squatch and low miles at a dealership about 11 hours away from me, and the price is exceptional - Less than $40k. I've spoken to the dealer for the past two days and it seems to be the actual price. I even pressed about dealer addons, which they guarantee me there are none of. They gave me my out-the-door price in writing and nothing seems to be shady. It's got a ton of aftermarket upgrades and looks to be in fantastic shape, plus the Carfax is clean. I went ahead and reserved it and have already started applying for financing.

1000007199.jpg

1000007212.jpg

I'm left wondering what would cause a Badlands with Squatch to be listed in the $30,000s. What's the catch?

I've heard the 2.3L is a pretty reliable engine and the Badlands is super fun to drive. Are there any watch out situations I should be on the lookout for before I head up north and purchase this Bronco? Are there reasons an owner would add expensive modifications to a vehicle and decide to let it go before 25,000 miles? Is there a common flaw in the 2021s that would encourage trade-ins? The dealer claims there simply isn't a huge market for Broncos in their area, but I'm still skeptical. I want to be realistic and listen to those who may be able to give me the insight to pounce on a great deal or avoid a horrible one. Thanks in advance!
Buy it! That's a great deal! Plus its a great color!

bjpatten

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pictures look good, that's a nice looking Bronco.

I see nothing that would worry me from the information provided. I'd check the vin tags and look for signs of body work. Just because the cax fax is clean doesn't mean it hasn't had extensive work done.
TMC! SKC retired here

Nc211

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes GLS450 (2020) / OBX Dual Top 2.7 (2024)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think you've run every lap of due diligence that you possibly could, and it looks good! I can definitely see where the second owner record on CarFax could confuse.

Personally, I think you're ready to buy this puppy and have some fun! If something serious were wrong with it, I think you'd know by now, or have a hint of something. Sounds like perhaps you found yourself that needle in the haystack! Go buy it! I've had a couple of those in my life too that turned out great. An 05' 4Runner SR5 with the V8 in 2008 for $15,000 and 45k miles when nobody wanted a V8. A 2003 Lexus GS430 with 30k miles for $10k in 2009 when we moved from Raleigh to Chicago and needed a bit more merging horsepower than my little Mazda3 had to give (still love that little car, one of the best!). Unicorns do exist, think you found one here too! Go get it and enjoy Memorial Day weekend with it!

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I asked the mechanic to write a quote for any repairs or service it might need. With the invoice in hand, I'll negotiate with the dealer for them to either do the service or knock it off the price so I can pay the mechanic to do it. If it does need an alignment, which it sure looks like, I want to do that before I drive 11 hours home.
You've done a great job investigating this purchase. How much do you charge the next time I buy used?!? lol

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It is going to need tires. If it has wheel spacers, they need to go. Also what size and make are the tires currently on it? Looks like Cooper STT Pro's but I can't read the size. I would not be surprised if they were bigger than the factory Goodyear on the back of the Bronco, I suspect that they are 37s.

Last edited:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It looks like it has wheel spacers to push the stock wheels/tires out that far past the flares (even though they aren't the Sas flares). That alignment does need some help for sure.

Based on the front tire wear and that alignment, be prepared for it to drive a lot rougher than your Bronco Sport. That can all be adjusted/fixed but the 2 door rides a bit rougher to begin with because of the shorter wheelbase and that front end looks like it will be even rougher. Maybe see if someone here is close enough to take it for a test drive for you to get an honest opinion.
Any Bronco is going to ride rougher than the Bronco Sport. The two door does ride a little rougher than the longer wheelbase more door, but the good outweighs the bad, as you get a very nimble Bronco. You give up a tiny bit of stability for agility... That said, I love having the 2 door.

Kinda like comparing an F-16 with an F-15. Both of them are great, but that little F-16 is so agile and turns on a dime... The F-15 turns on more like a nickel.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just checked OASIS and there's no warranty history. Shows two open recalls (rear camera and wiper motor) which I can't understand why they haven't done them yet. Previous owner had a premium care ESP which may be transferable if they didn't initiate a refund.

The 2.3 may feel underpowered with this setup compared to the 2.7. Fuel economy isn't going to be much different between the two.

Last edited:

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
From there, it just depends on the luck you typically have with used vehicles. I bought a 2012 Mustang used with 36k miles on it. I ran it to over 236k miles and never had an issue. At the same time, bought the wife a used Jeep years ago, and 2 weeks later the axles were leaking fluid everywhere. It's a crap shoot basically.
Given Jeep's notorious poor reliability, I suspect that had more to do with those problems. It was more of a "when" than an "if." 🙂

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just checked OASIS and there's no warranty history. Shows two open recalls (rear camera and wiper motor) which I can't understand why they haven't done them yet. Previous owner had a premium care ESP which may be transferable if they didn't initiate a refund.

The 2.3 may feel underpowered with this setup compared to the 2.7. Fuel economy isn't going to be much different between the two.
Especially if those are 37's.

OP
OP
Elegance

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The dealer said the mechanic is welcome to come look at it on the lot and test drive it, but won't allow them to take it to the shop. My mechanic says that's an immediate red flag, but he's going to sleep on how to make the most of the time he's allowed on the lot. Thoughts?

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The dealer said the mechanic is welcome to come look at it on the lot and test drive it, but won't allow them to take it to the shop. My mechanic says that's an immediate red flag, but he's going to sleep on how to make the most of the time he's allowed on the lot. Thoughts?
First of all I love the research you did, I'm in love; and half the forum is too.

Can he pull codes?

Otherwise, new tires & alignment and setting it up correctly, spacers removed or whatever may be all you need to do to have a mighty fine Bronco at a good price.

And 2 doors rock on tight trails and turn a tight U-turn too. I think they handle on road just fine for a heavy brick of an SUV. I love the 2.3, plenty of power compared to my last truck, a V-6 Tacoma.

Don't add too much value to the mods, the winch looks to be a Harbor Freight winch with a aftermarket bumper, somebody went for looks. Those blue tie rods could have been just for looks too or after they upgraded to tires to bigger, but with the cheaper aftermarket parts I'm betting those blue tie rods/sleeves were for looks more than function or repair.

I use to audit dealers flooring and the VW dealer's explanation makes a lots of sense. They also don't have the expertise to check it out and to deal with a possible returning customer due to suspension or other problems after the sale.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elegance

Elegance

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
First of all I love the research you did, I'm in love; and half the forum is too.
Hah, thorough is my middle name. I'm a scientist, I work for the government, and I'm female. The perfect storm for a type-A weirdo.

I want this Bronco so badly, but I want to be realistic and go through the checks without succumbing to FOMO.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm a scientist, I work for the government, and I'm female. The perfect storm for a type-A weirdo.

I want this Bronco so badly,
I hope this works out for you, you'll be a perfect Bronco owner. "Type-A weirdos" welcome.
Sponsored