First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2door base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I know that the computer can be off on the mpg estimates, I write down the actual miles, gas used and the computer estimate each fillup. I ran 87 octane for the first full year and my actual overall mpg is around 17.5 mpg (which isn't bad for mostly around town 10 minute drives) and the average of the computer estimates is 17.9 so it's not too far off. Late last week, I did a fillup with 93 octane to see if it feels any different and to see how the mpg might change. For the first 20-25 miles it was around 19 mpg when I got to my destination today. I came out 3 hours later and started the truck and it was immediately showing 18.2 mpg. That is the first time I've noticed it changed the estimate almost a full mpg with no driving. Has anyone else seen this happen? The rest of my drive home held steady around 18.2-.3 so I'm thinking it sounds accurate, my last tank of 87 came out to 17 mpg. I know the short drives hurt because the trans fluid doesn't warm up enough to lock/unlock the converter and when I do 15+ minutes drives, the mpg climbs the longer I drive.
Sponsored

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OP
OP
JL8jeff

JL8jeff

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
So today I had to make a few stops and when I first started the truck it was at 17.9 so it lost .3 mpg overnight. It dropped to 17.6 during the first couple of miles while cold, then worked it's way back up to 19 mpg by the end of my stops. I'll check it again in the morning to see if it drops again. I think it's related to the 93 octane vs the 87 which it was used to. If it's a true 2 mpg increase over 87 octane, it makes it easier to justify the more expensive gas which is also better for the engine.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So mine, with a full tank, has a DTE of 357 miles. A 21 gallon tank; 357/21 = 17.0 MPG. That's pretty close to what I see, maybe a touch optimistic, but in the right ballpark.

The instantaneous MPG thing on mine says ... 17.9
The Trip 1 counter, which I have never rest, says ... 18.1

So three different MPG figures, depending on where you look.

Sponsored

PlayTime

Outer Banks
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 2dr 2.3L OBX non-SAS Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I only look at DTE. No one bought a Bronco for MPG.
When I ordered mine, I took a deep breath, girded my loins, and bit the bullet on MPG, along with some other pithy phrases, because at 60 life is too short for boring cars.

OP
OP
JL8jeff

JL8jeff

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm used to my previous trucks getting 14-16 mpg with 33 to 35" tires so the Bronco is actually ahead of what I expected. I may have picked the wrong time to try out 93 octane with the price of gas about to go up due to shortages again.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Don’t get me wrong - I have no issue with the mileage the Bronco gets.

Just the fact that it can’t make up its mind about what it is and has three different calculations for it and none of them agree - I find it amusing the software team can mess up what otherwise should be a pretty simple thing to figure out. But not surprised. The software on these things is overall abysmal, but that isn’t why I bought it.
Sponsored