First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Remote started my 21 BD this morning. No issues with start up, but when I got in and hit the engine start button, a bunch of notifications came up. Service engine soon, Pre collision assist not available, and driver mode not available which is the ability to change G.O.A.T Modes. I have a Ford performance tune so I hooked up the Pro Cal and read the following trouble codes.
There are 5:
P0236-Turbocharger Boost sensor A Circuit Range/ Performance
P050A -Cold Start Idle Air Control System Performance
U0284- Lost Communication with Active Grille Air Shutter Module A
U0285- Lost Communication with Active Grille Air Shutter Module B
U1012- Invalid Internal Control Module Monitoring Data Received from Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) C

I never had these codes before, and I drove it 5 hours yesterday and it was just fine. I am in Illinois, and the temps last night were -12. When I started it this morning it was -10.

I drove it down the street about a mile and it runs like garbage. Loss of power, and exhaust sputtering.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them in extreme cold over the last few days. I don't know if it will be fine once it warms up above freezing, or this is a dealer visit.

Ford Bronco Multiple Trouble codes- Sub Freezing temps 2021 BD 2.7 IMG_0728

Ford Bronco Multiple Trouble codes- Sub Freezing temps 2021 BD 2.7 IMG_0729

Ford Bronco Multiple Trouble codes- Sub Freezing temps 2021 BD 2.7 IMG_0730

Ford Bronco Multiple Trouble codes- Sub Freezing temps 2021 BD 2.7 IMG_0731

Ford Bronco Multiple Trouble codes- Sub Freezing temps 2021 BD 2.7 IMG_0732
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fishwrinkle

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 GC overland 5.7, 18 GC srt 6.4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
man that's a total bummer and wish you the best. i too have been battling ford gremlins for a solid year now but not these codes. it was 5 in MI at 5am this morning when i left for work but with wind chill it was -15. i park outside and had to jump my bronco as the battery voltage was at 5.7!!! i just bought a new battery while i fight with the the dealer it's a bad battery.

it's not hard to see that it's the battery as it will never get to 100% charge on a trickle charger and after that it reads 12.4 which is only 50% charged according to all the agm charts i've found. 100% is 12.8-13+

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am not a tech, but for a rash of issues suddenly during a cold morning suggests either a bad section of wiring harness/loose connector/bad pin fit or some rodents got into the engine bay to stay warm and found a snack. Sometimes low battery voltage does wonky things too...

Of course, the codes might be all independent of each other... best of luck with the fix

FWIW: Im driving a 2.3L BL and its -32ºC/F this week, and Ive never come across any of these codes (or any other local owners)

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Pop your hood and take a look at the sensor right in front of the throttle body and any wiring in the surrounding area. Maybe there is something obvious. If not, I’d recommend just bringing it to your dealer so they can properly diagnose the issue.

Ford Bronco Multiple Trouble codes- Sub Freezing temps 2021 BD 2.7 IMG_2662

akturbo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, 3500HD Chevy, Rav4Prime, Turbo Skidoo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pop your hood and take a look at the sensor right in front of the throttle body and any wiring in the surrounding area. Maybe there is something obvious. If not, I’d recommend just bringing it to your dealer so they can properly diagnose the issue.

What sensor is that? MAF?

Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

OP
OP
Rus-T

Rus-T

Black Diamond
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm going to take it to a heated garage this morning and let it sit for a few hours and see if starting up later today will change anything. I'll check out the sensor on the throttle body as well. Thanks for the input. I'll post later today on what I find. I appreciate the help all.

OP
OP
Rus-T

Rus-T

Black Diamond
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Heated garage did nothing. I checked the sensor and surrounding area... Nothing obvious. Made an appointment with Ford, but of course, the soonest available is 2 weeks out. This sucks!

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Seems like multiple posts now that its getting pretty cold. One person was having issues putting it in 4x4 mode while another won't even start.

I wonder if extreme cold, like extreme heat, just tends to exaggerate underlying problems and make them show up?

Maybe a warm garage and a reset would wake it up?

OP
OP
Rus-T

Rus-T

Black Diamond
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree. This is the first winter for her. I’ve lived in South Florida since I picked her up in July ‘21. No issues at all there. The crazy thing is I drove 5 hours the day before this happened and no issues. It sat outside over night and the next morning, this started. Going to dig in to some troubleshooting today.

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had a boat with a Merc 2 stroke DFI that needed a 1000CCA battery. The word was that it needed the current on startup to power the electronics. I found that if I didn't keep the battery on a tender when not in use, it wouldn't run right.

Where I'm going with this is that with the sensitive electronics in these vehicles, I wonder if what we are seeing is caused by not having enough current on startup? Very possible with a year or 2 old battery in cold temps ;)

OP
OP
Rus-T

Rus-T

Black Diamond
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So yesterday I took the turbo boost sensor off and cleaned it. It didn't look like there was any buildup on it, but I tried anyway. After cleaning it, and starting it up, boom, it was fixed, for a few test drives anyway.
Drove around for about 5 miles.Ran great. Parked it. Had to run to the store a few hours later... fine. The third time later in the day, the codes came back and it ran like garbage again. I think it is the sensor, and it is possibly going bad? If that's a thing. I ordered a new one to see if it completely fixes it. The only code showing up now is the P0236 (turbo boost sensor A circuit)

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Remote started my 21 BD this morning. No issues with start up, but when I got in and hit the engine start button, a bunch of notifications came up. Service engine soon, Pre collision assist not available, and driver mode not available which is the ability to change G.O.A.T Modes. I have a Ford performance tune so I hooked up the Pro Cal and read the following trouble codes.
There are 5:
P0236-Turbocharger Boost sensor A Circuit Range/ Performance
P050A -Cold Start Idle Air Control System Performance
U0284- Lost Communication with Active Grille Air Shutter Module A
U0285- Lost Communication with Active Grille Air Shutter Module B
U1012- Invalid Internal Control Module Monitoring Data Received from Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) C

I never had these codes before, and I drove it 5 hours yesterday and it was just fine. I am in Illinois, and the temps last night were -12. When I started it this morning it was -10.

I drove it down the street about a mile and it runs like garbage. Loss of power, and exhaust sputtering.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them in extreme cold over the last few days. I don't know if it will be fine once it warms up above freezing, or this is a dealer visit.

Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.  

OP
OP
Rus-T

Rus-T

Black Diamond
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
*** Update***
After 12 days in the dealership, the diagnosis and fix was replacing the turboboost sensor (MAF) as we all thought. Literally a 2 min. fix, which I was going to buy and do myself, but the sensor was $120, and I still would have waited 7 days to get it so with it covered under warranty I just let the dealership keep it till they fixed it. I’m just glad it was covered, and she is running as good as ever now.

Just wanted to update this thread in case someone else runs into this issue.

Thank you all for the input on this.

Ford Bronco Multiple Trouble codes- Sub Freezing temps 2021 BD 2.7 IMG_1075

Ford Bronco Multiple Trouble codes- Sub Freezing temps 2021 BD 2.7 IMG_1076
Sponsored