1stBroncoBase

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Bronco (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Now that its been a few months, how has this held up? I do a lot of 3D printing and from my experience, PLA does not hold up too well under direct sunlight. I once left a coaster I printed using PLA in my backyard and after a few hours of the sun shining on it, I went to grab it and it looked like one of those melting clocks on salvador dali's painting. :D lol
Curious if anyone had an update on this? I would like to print one once I get my new Bronco...
Sponsored

klingk

Big Bend
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm new here, looking at innovative ideas for an aftermarket accessory mount. My background is in manufacturing (machinist). I don't have a bronco yet and was wondering if anyone can confirm that the 2 screws the were on the original BYOD rail are under the "accessory ready" housing?

Looking at the original design it would have cost a fortune to make which is probably why it was dropped.

Thanks,
Kyle

fraserjr

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 3D printer so I decided to draw up and print a mini accessory rail. The picatinny rail section I had is only 5.5 inches but you can buy longer ones on amazon. (This is just what I had already).

I should put up the disclaimer that I don't have high hopes of this holding up on hot summer days but its not hot right now, and there's nothing on the market anyway!

So far it works great, just wrapped up a 1000 mile road trip up to Copper Harbor and back with well over 50 miles off-road. As well as an epic 3000+ mile road trip to Moab and back with some hardcore off-roading! Everything held firm and steady and it didn't take long for it to feel like a seamlessly integrated part of the Bronco.

The Rail: It is just a 5.5" 13 slot aluminum m-lok to picatinny rail adapter from amazon (part of a bundle I bought previously) and a 3D printed base. The rail has two screws which fasten it to the PLA base, but I also opted to add superglue to make sure the rail isn't coming off easily. I designed the base to use the same accessory mount and to fit firmly over the center pocket on the dash.

The phone mount: I am a huge fan of the magnetic phone mount, why people use anything else is beyond me (unless you are literally racing the baja 1000). I designed the mounts to fit with a generic amazon magnetic mount and included a slot so they can easily slide onto the pic rail. There is a bolt through the back of the mount to tighten it down once you have it in position.

Edit: I love this community and I want those with a printer feel free to enjoy these ideas, but my intention was not to provide free IP to printer farms. PM me if you want a copy of the original file for personal use or visit our new website if you want to purchase one like this or something else better!: Broken Innovation

1634585733909.png

1634585776350.png

1634585787746.png

1634585802762.png
Any chance you want to build a full length rail to compete with some of the more expensive options?

OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any chance you want to build a full length rail to compete with some of the more expensive options?
I am currently designing one, but the best I can realistically do is one that uses two 25 slot rails. It will probably be a 3 part printed base, one center piece similar to what you see, and then a base out at each end. That wont be a full width but something like 3/4ths of it. The issue with it on my end is the bigger it is, the greater the benefit to just getting an aluminum one. It will look really cool, and I will definitely test it out, but I think if most of us are honest with ourselves we really only need space for 2-3 devices and that can be satisfied with the options I already posted (more on my website too).

Something else I could consider is using a carbon fiber filament, that stuff prints with serious strength so I could make a really sleek design but I have no experience in that area, also that increases costs significantly.

Sponsored

okiedrew

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can someone send me a copy of the STL files for my own use? PM me and I will send my email

OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

ne2000

Badlands
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

ABS is the way to go with it according to my cousin who is making one for me.
You'll likely be OK with petg or pla plus/ht also

OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did PLA+. It got 80+ degrees here in DFW the other day and warped on me. Not bad but enough to look funky. I am going to reprint with ABS; right now my printer is broken :(
I have had great luck with printing PETG and ASA. I have not experienced crazy high temps in michigan yet but ASA prints easy and ive heard/read its better than ABS in basically all the ways you want anyway. PETG seems to be a good step up from PLA. both are more prone to warping but thats where good bed leveling/heat and adhesion come into play. I run a ASA with a garbage bag over the printer to keep heat in lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
TeocaliMG

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was looking at getting an enclosure, I don't know why I never thought of that LOL
Just make sure the bag is clear of the rollers and extruders. I've had it get caught up in the rollers before (didnt actually hurt anything) but only when I was really lazy in set up. Its easy to get it layed nicely around the whole build volume.

sage729

Big Bend
First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Big Bend soft top, Area 51, non SAS, mid pack
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Its literally my design ;) , we partnered and I get a kickback for it.

Got my own less professional site for those interested :LOL:. I have way less production capability and thus worse delivery time, but also have some other unique products there.
What is your site? I'm always looking for things I might need for my Bronco.
Sponsored