First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I finished my top lift the other day and it works extremely well and thought I would share. I bought a winch lift from Harbor Freight($99). A 6 1/2 ft strap(cut to 30in length x 2) from Harbor Freight ($8.99). 2 ft of zinc plated slotted angle from Tractor Supply($8). 10 ft of slotted framing strut I got from my electrician neighbor. Trolley rollers on Amazon for the winch to roll in the strut 10ft either way($28) . 1 Can of Plasti dip from Tractor Supply to coat the metal angles that lift from the slots on the top ($11). I used 2 of the 1/2 in spring snap clips from Tractor Supply ($7.99 ea)Miscellaneous nuts and bolts I had in my shop. I will need to buy a new controller cord and power cord for the electric winch lift because the carport where it's mounted is 13ft up and they need to be at least 20ft. This had made removing and installing the top so easy for 1 person. I spent less than $200 on all the parts. I will attach photos. Thanks to this great group for all the ideas.

20240430_130539.jpg

20240430_191009.jpg

20240430_190901.jpg

20240430_131205.jpg

Screenshot_20240430_190634_Gallery.jpg

20240430_131350.jpg
Sponsored

Jok3r

Black Diamond
First Name
Mark O.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You gave me a great idea for lifting using the hardware that is included in the OEM roof rack. By removing the rack, but leaving the hardware, I can rig my straps from my winch to the hardware. Since it's a two-door, the balance is different (than a mordoor)and I will need to rig to the front of the top as well, but this should be a better solution than running straps inside and out the glass. Pay no mind...just thinking out loud.

OP
OP
Mrchoochoo

Mrchoochoo

Outer Banks
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You gave me a great idea for lifting using the hardware that is included in the OEM roof rack. By removing the rack, but leaving the hardware, I can rig my straps from my winch to the hardware. Since it's a two-door, the balance is different (than a mordoor)and I will need to rig to the front of the top as well, but this should be a better solution than running straps inside and out the glass. Pay no mind...just thinking out loud.
That sound like a great idea...

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is pretty much exactly what I am looking at doing once I finish my garage. But I have the Hooke Road half rack and was just planning on running straps through it to lift.

I have lots of garage space with high ceilings so I'm considering getting a few of the hoists to make platforms I can load with stuff and raise and store.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I like your mount to the top itself (with the rubber coating). I could use this idea to make a roof rack mount that in turn I could mount standard round cross bars. There currently is no affordable easily installable/removeable roof rack options for the Bronco. The only issue is that the tension of the straps I assume keep those mounts on.

Sponsored

TerryB

Badlands
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Badlands Sasquatch, 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
Mrchoochoo

Mrchoochoo

Outer Banks
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I like your mount to the top itself (with the rubber coating). I could use this idea to make a roof rack mount that in turn I could mount standard round cross bars. There currently is no affordable easily installable/removeable roof rack options for the Bronco. The only issue is that the tension of the straps I assume keep those mounts on.
The mounts slide into the slots about 1.5 inches. The slots closest to rear rear is the balance point. It's stay pretty level and I believe they are more that strong enough.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The mounts slide into the slots about 1.5 inches. The slots closest to rear rear is the balance point. It's stay pretty level and I believe they are more that strong enough.
I wonder if these hooks would work. Strap is 4” wide for reference.
IMG_0512.jpeg

IMG_0513.jpeg

OP
OP
Mrchoochoo

Mrchoochoo

Outer Banks
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I wonder if these hooks would work. Strap is 4” wide for reference.
Ford Bronco My DIY Homemade Hard Top Lift Ceiling Winch System IMG_0513

Ford Bronco My DIY Homemade Hard Top Lift Ceiling Winch System IMG_0513
I'm sure it would. I saw a website link on another post that makes custom straps that you could get something like that with a d-ring on the other end made to any length you wanted. I just didn't want to spend $50 on straps.

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Xira
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2022 Silverado LT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've been thinking about this too, but I don't have a roof rack.
My biggest worry about using the roof rack mounting point is the hook popping out if I end up a little crooked on the way down, or too much force on one edge if it binds while lifting. The winch doesn't have soft-start so it can be a bit jumpy.

It'd certainly be nice to lift it without needing to open my rear glass. I overengineered the rack a little bit so I end up with very little clearance once all is said and done.

(Earlier version but clearance didn't change)

Ford Bronco My DIY Homemade Hard Top Lift Ceiling Winch System PXL_20220710_131707691

-----------

Actually, thinking out loud here myself... no matter what I need some type of racking that sits on top of the hardtop. I don't have ceiling clearance for straps to spread out.
Maybe instead of running straps underneath (and risk accidentally going under the crossbar, lifting the entire truck).... I set it up more like a claw machine.
Each corner gets an L-bracket that holds it to the winch rack. Either pivot design or slot-and-hole, using a hitchpin to lock the bracket in position.

Crap, and here I'm supposed to be finishing that video I've been working on since December. Now I want to work on this before it gets warm enough for tops-off again.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Nice work - very similar to my setup. I had the custom straps made and then needed the hooks to be opened up more. @Fordified1 those hooks look like the have way too much lip up front unless you are planning on hooking the lifting straps to that.

PXL_20231004_032240233.jpg

PXL_20231028_215705190.jpg

PXL_20231015_153953796.jpg

PXL_20231004_215603914.MP.jpg

PXL_20231104_220733739 (1).jpg

PXL_20231015_154000004.jpg

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nice work - very similar to my setup. I had the custom straps made and then needed the hooks to be opened up more. @Fordified1 those hooks look like the have way too much lip up front unless you are planning on hooking the lifting straps to that.
Ok. Yours looks like regular flat j-hooks that have been opened up. Correct? I thought about that also.
IMG_0527.jpeg

Robs

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Nice design at the top with winch etc but I’d feel better if the straps extended further down to 2x4s under the top so that the weight of the top is supported from below vs just via the slits in the top. Seems like an invitation for something to slip or just be an added strain on these moulded tops

MichaelCar001

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just one question. Are you sure this thing is safe?
Sponsored