Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well I finally have a build date so I needed to get smart on tires. I wanted to get something slightly bigger for my BB, as soon as it comes. No lift, no giant tires that would hurt the allegedly great miles per gallon on the BB with a manual. I will be mostly on road, with occasional camping trips in pretty rough Arizona country. But no mud, seldom snow, sometimes some sand that I've handled well enough in a 2WD F-150 with street tires for years.

Deciding on size first and load rating, I settled on 255/80/R17s. I figured the same width and slightly higher would give me a little more clearance, but still get good MPGs and be quiet, yet do fine off road. I wanted C load rating for a better ride too.

So next I went to the BF Goodrich site for the K02s. Guess what? They don't make that size. So my second choice was Toyo Open Country ATIIIs. Guess what? They make that size, but not in a C rating, only E. And the Toyos are supposed to be louder slightly. Now I have a quandry! Taller, but harder, or OEM size.
Sponsored

xmod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Toyo 4Runner TRD, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well I finally have a build date so I needed to get smart on tires. I wanted to get something slightly bigger for my BB, as soon as it comes. No lift, no giant tires that would hurt the allegedly great miles per gallon on the BB with a manual. I will be mostly on road, with occasional camping trips in pretty rough Arizona country. But no mud, seldom snow, sometimes some sand that I've handled well enough in a 2WD F-150 with street tires for years.

Deciding on size first and load rating, I settled on 255/80/R17s. I figured the same width and slightly higher would give me a little more clearance, but still get good MPGs and be quiet, yet do fine off road. I wanted C load rating for a better ride too.

So next I went to the BF Goodrich site for the K02s. Guess what? They don't make that size. So my second choice was Toyo Open Country ATIIIs. Guess what? They make that size, but not in a C rating, only E. And the Toyos are supposed to be louder slightly. Now I have a quandry! Taller, but harder, or OEM size.
That's the same size I'm going with when I finally get my 2 dr Badlands. I think I've settled on the Toyo M/T's, despite being E rated. From many AZ users, they rate these tires great Offroad and good on the highway.

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That's the same size I'm going with when I finally get my 2 dr Badlands. I think I've settled on the Toyo M/T's, despite being E rated. From many AZ users, they rate these tires great Offroad and good on the highway.
Good tires. They were being considered by me as well (AZ) but I'll end up with the Nitto's I think.

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
That particular size is all E's... I do consults for a Jeep shop that builds around 100 Jeeps a year and LOTS of tires. The Falken AT3W is our go-to for anyone that wants an A/T. They do everything any other A/T can do and most of the time they do it better. Consider them...

Now, I would probably suggest looking at the 285/70R17 size. A little wider but very close in height, if not a tiny bit shorter. But you can get C or even SL rated tires in that size. They will ride better and not cost you much of anything in mileage... The Toyo ATIII and the Falken AT3W are both available in the SL tire in that size.

Good luck!

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
As a side note, Toyo M/T's are the one tire we replace more than any due to radial tire pull... Just our experience through the shop.

Sponsored

xmod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That particular size is all E's... I do consults for a Jeep shop that builds around 100 Jeeps a year and LOTS of tires. The Falken AT3W is our go-to for anyone that wants an A/T. They do everything any other A/T can do and most of the time they do it better. Consider them...

Now, I would probably suggest looking at the 285/70R17 size. A little wider but very close in height, if not a tiny bit shorter. But you can get C or even SL rated tires in that size. They will ride better and not cost you much of anything in mileage... The Toyo ATIII and the Falken AT3W are both available in the SL tire in that size.

Good luck!
Where's your shop? Will your shop do work on Bronco's (lifts)?

KnoxGnater

Badlands
First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1934 Ford Roadster Pickup, Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good luck!
What's your opinion of the KO2's? I've had 3 sets between a Jeep and my F150 and love them. Afraid to try anything else but your Falken AT3W comment has me thinking....

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Where's your shop? Will your shop do work on Bronco's (lifts)?
The answer is yes... The owner, Mike is big on Raptors, so I am expecting Bronco's to be a big part of the shop. Outlaw Jeep and Truck in Scottsdale. I haven't been there as often with the pandemic, but I'm checking in with Mike to see if he's ordered any Bronco stuff yet.

What's your opinion of the KO2's? I've had 3 sets between a Jeep and my F150 and love them. Afraid to try anything else but your Falken AT3W comment has me thinking....
KO2's are good tires, and my JKU might get a set next. I think they excel in longevity. There are a lot of good tires out right now, and we are talking about 3 of the very best in the KO2, the AT3W and the ATIII. I think the KO2 and the AT3W are better in inclement weather than the ATIII but it's still close and the KO2 and AT3W are a little quieter than the ATIII, but again... it's close. The only other tire I would add if looking for a little more offroad would be the Baja Boss A/T, but it's new and not a lot of sizes and load ranges available yet.

It's fair to say that my 2 favorites are KO2's and AT3W's. Nobody ever comes back and says they don't like either of those tires.

I promoted the Nitto Ridge Grapplers a lot and offroad they are maybe the best A/T, but they are not good in the wet... The Yokohama X-A/T is not a bad tire either.

This was from a couple months back, the back was so full of tires, the sales area became tire storage too. ;)

Ford Bronco My tires upgrade decision on Big Bend tires

Last edited:

xmod

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The answer is yes... The owner, Mike is big on Raptors, so I am expecting Bronco's to be a big part of the shop. Outlaw Jeep and Truck in Scottsdale. I haven't been there as often with the pandemic, but I'm checking in with Mike to see if he's ordered any Bronco stuff yet.

KO2's are good tires, and my JKU might get a set next. I think they excel in longevity. There are a lot of good tires out right now, and we are talking about 3 of the very best in the KO2, the AT3W and the ATIII. I think the KO2 and the AT3W are better in inclement weather than the ATIII but it's still close and the KO2 and AT3W are a little quieter than the ATIII, but again... it's close. The only other tire I would add if looking for a little more offroad would be the Baja Boss A/T, but it's new and not a lot of sizes and load ranges available yet.

It's fair to say that my 2 favorites are KO2's and AT3W's. Nobody ever comes back and says they don't like either of those tires.

I promoted the Nitto Ridge Grapplers a lot and offroad they are maybe the best A/T, but they are not good in the wet... The Yokohama X-A/T is not a bad tire either.

This was from a couple months back, the back was so full of tires, the sales area became tire storage too. ;)

Ford Bronco My tires upgrade decision on Big Bend tires
what if I want a mud terrain? I have heard bad things about chipping with the bfg km2 - what are your thoughts on that tire?

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Pressurized

Thanks for all the info!

Any thoughts on differences between C and SL rated tire IF the same tire were to be available in both?
Ex 285/75-17 Toyo AT3

Really, a good class on real world differences between E C and SL would be great!

Sponsored

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
what if I want a mud terrain? I have heard bad things about chipping with the bfg km2 - what are your thoughts on that tire?
I like the new BFG KM3 better than the KM2, also like the Baja Boss M/T and the Falken Wildpeak M/T. Of note, the Nitto Trail Grappler is a staple in AZ offroad circles, and the Goodyear MT/R also, but I'm not a fan. I am running Patagonia MT's on all of my Jeeps and have had GREAT luck with them, but they get mixed reviews, so I always say do your research on those. The Falken M/T is what we always put on if someone doesn't like a tire they got. Mike likes to use the Radar R/T and I'm warming up to them, but they are almost all E rated. I don't usually promote the off brand tires unless someone asks specifically about them or tells Mike to put on what he likes...

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@Pressurized

Thanks for all the info!

Any thoughts on differences between C and SL rated tire IF the same tire were to be available in both?
Ex 285/75-17 Toyo AT3

Really, a good class on real world differences between E C and SL would be great!
I know, right? I can provide the 30,000 foot view and maybe that will help.

Load Range is a combination of "typical" ply rating and max PSI. For example, within the load rating of C, there are subratings of 1,2 etc. that set the max PSI.

So, an SL tire is typically a 4 ply, a C rated tire is typically a 6 ply, a D rated tire is typically an 8 ply, an E rated tire is typically 10 ply and an F is typically 12 ply. Now, some MFG's have manipulated that a little and come up with some different constructions to achieve the same rating.

In the sub ratings, for example, the C1 is 50PSI max, the C2 is 35PSI max and that applies to all of the load ratings. The E ratings are E1 at max PSI of 80 and E2 at 65PSI.

It's generally considered that the higher number of plies, the stronger and thus stiffer the sidewall will be. That stiffer sidewall will typically contribute to a firmer ride. Thus it's common to suggest that a load range E rated tire doesn't ride as well as a C rated tire. It's not uniformly so, but it is pretty accurate.

The higher Load Range will typically coincide with a higher Load Index. The load index is the specific max load that a tire can carry. The Index goes from 0 up to 150. For a quick comparison, a common load range C tire is rated at 112 Load Index which is 2469lbs and a common load range E tire is load index 121 which is 3197lbs. Combine the higher load capacity with the higher PSI to carry those loads in the E load range tire and you have a firmer tire and firmer ride.

E's belong on full size trucks... C's on light weight offroad rigs. Or SL's if you aren't at risk of rock punctures. (that's my opinion) Others will have different views and opinions on tires.

It's the proverbial can of worms being opened. ;)

This chart is helpful, I like C2 when I can get them in a specific tire.

Ford Bronco My tires upgrade decision on Big Bend tires1

OP
OP

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for your input, but back to my personal situation. I don't need MT tires, I don't want the extra detriments for road use. Noise and such.

On the 285/70R17 size, I've decided they look too wide for me. I'm old school, went 4wheeling in NC when I was in 8th grade in the 70s, didn't see jacked up trucks for years, nor the fat tires sticking out from the sides of the fenders until the last 15 or 20 years. I'm not going there, I don't need to look the part for the 2020s.... I just want to keep the dirt off the side of my bronco, not have that much rubber exposed blowing everything off into "open air."
Don't want a lift, don't want bigger fenders to compensate for fat tires. In my experience 255 width will be fine. But I did want a little taller, to get a little more clearance.

It sounds like my quadry it true - get an E load rating with more weight and a possibly rougher ride, or get the stock 255/75/R17 in something as a C rated.

On the load rating, thanks for the details. That confirms that for my needs, C rating is probably best.

Last edited:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Thanks for your input, but back to my personal situation. I don't need MT tires, I don't want the extra detriments for road use.

On the load rating, thanks for the details. That confirms that for my needs, C rating is probably best.
A lot of good info from Pressurized. I'm right with you BB that I plan to upgrade. I will probably go with the 255 80 x 17 Falken or Toyo AT's. I will end up with Load Range E, and run 35ish pounds. They may ride somewhat rougher but my experience with E's is they are pretty indestructible off road and VERY puncture resistant. If there was a 265 75 x 17 I might do that, although owners manual states only 255 width are chainable which is important to me
Sponsored