Mel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BD CO/MID, 2006 mustang pony package
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

the simple original question of V6 or locker, I'd say locker. Thinking the 4 cyl with locker will more often be able to get you out of a sticky situation than 6 cyl without. I have a BD w/2.3 and personally I love it, I don't get people that act like it's so underpowered they are afraid it's going to get them killed trying to merge into traffic :rolleyes: Mine's my DD and I run in ECO 95% of the time and never had a concern with power, if you need to put your foot in it it will still go. And there's always Sport mode 😁

My wants were rear locker min, and washout floors. If only I could have added those two items to the base I would have been stoked... and about $5k ahead lol. But alas Fords trims and options had me ranging from base² up to Badlands w/Lux :ROFLMAO: the build creep is real with these buggies lol.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Nate Train

Nate Train

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You don't need lockers to go off-road though. And certainly not a front locker for many people. Nor are huge tires necessarily needed, depends on the terrain. Probably a Base swapped to 32/33 inch tires is plenty for a decent number of folks off-road. Might want to also add some skid plate protection, depending on how the vehicle is equipped.

Maybe the ease these days of ordering all the goodies stock with a vehicle, has changed perception of what is actually needed for off-road? For years people have been wheeling without all that stuff.

Consider before front e-lockers, putting a locker in the front end was typically not a common thing due to the negative consequences, and yet people were still off-roading all over the place.
This is kind of what I've been wondering with all the Sasquatch comments. I mean, sure it would be nice to have and would get me more places, but my '02 Ranger FX4 has gotten me up some pretty sketchy spider trails and through some muddy situations. And I know that thing isn't a serious off road vehicle.

It also sounds like Sasquatch is going to be hard to get and that I can make a lot happen with the BB I4 and rear locker.

Last edited:

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have the 2.7 and the rear locker on our Outerbanks.
If I had to go with only one I would choose the rear locker. The added bonus of the 4.27 gears are better suited for larger tires/wheels later.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi Everyone,

I will be ordering my Bronco when the banks reopen in March, and I'm waffling back and forth between a few different options. I'm trying to keep my price on the lower end, so I'm somewhat limited in what I can do.

Basically, this is where I'm sitting. I can either order a Base with a V6 and no lockers or a Big Bend with an I4 and lockers. The price difference is relatively small for me.

I'm not currently a big off roader, but the point of buying a Bronco is to do some off roading. Since I'm an amateur, I'll start small and build my way up to more difficult stuff. I've always wanted to get into it. I don't know if I'll ever get to the point where I'm doing serious rock crawling, but I want to be able to get myself out of trouble if I run into problems.

I've read a bunch about lockers on the threads here and they really seem desirable. It also seems, based on what I've read, that the V6 is really nice to have. I haven't seen a post yet asking this exact question, though: If have a choice between getting a V6 OR the rear locking differential, which is preferable?

Apologies if this has been done to death, but I just haven't seen it in all my reading.
You have no reason to apologize for anything. Only way you’ll learn is to ask and that’s how all of us got to where we are, so even if others have asked, this is your experience, so let’s share some prospective to help get you outside and into the woods which you’ll enjoy to no end.

Know I”m late to this party and many have shared some insights with you, so I’ll do the same, so mileage will vary; piece together what you will from it all.

So, to your question, the lockers on the Bronco are pretty good, they’re electronic and engage on demand. Any time you’re on loose soil and traction is lost, a rear locker can get you unstuck unless you’re talking deep mud. My vote is to move up to the Big Bend, keep the 2.3 (which is a great engine), and get the rear locker.

What I’m not sure about is the difficulty and cost of trying to add a front locker later on, but a front locker should only be used in rare and really bad situations, since turning with front lockers engaged isn’t the best idea and only for off road usage.

I have the 2.7 in my newly acquired Bronco, but don’t confuse it with anything fast or quick. It’ll do what‘s needed, but I wouldn‘t say you’re missing out on too much with the 2.3. A Bronco is heavy and brick shaped and will take its time. On a trail when stuck, accelerating or bumping over an obstacle usually ends in heartache and an expensive repair, so it’s not advised no matter what YouTubers or built up Jeeps tell you, so no, the extra horsepower and torque won’t help you much to get unstuck. Best to avoid something that looks too interesting to begin with, or use traction boards, a shovel, or a strap.

Learning to wheel is the best part, don’t rush it, don’t let your ego or peer pressure eat at you (it will and they’ll try) and you’ll have a ton of fun camping and going for rides in that beautiful state where you live and any other place that adventure calls you out to.

Welcome to the forum, best of luck, and no matter which way you go, it’ll all work itself out. :)

TantoIndian

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford bronco , 2,7
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Hi Everyone,

I will be ordering my Bronco when the banks reopen in March, and I'm waffling back and forth between a few different options. I'm trying to keep my price on the lower end, so I'm somewhat limited in what I can do.

Basically, this is where I'm sitting. I can either order a Base with a V6 and no lockers or a Big Bend with an I4 and lockers. The price difference is relatively small for me.

I'm not currently a big off roader, but the point of buying a Bronco is to do some off roading. Since I'm an amateur, I'll start small and build my way up to more difficult stuff. I've always wanted to get into it. I don't know if I'll ever get to the point where I'm doing serious rock crawling, but I want to be able to get myself out of trouble if I run into problems.

I've read a bunch about lockers on the threads here and they really seem desirable. It also seems, based on what I've read, that the V6 is really nice to have. I haven't seen a post yet asking this exact question, though: If have a choice between getting a V6 OR the rear locking differential, which is preferable?

Apologies if this has been done to death, but I just haven't seen it in all my reading.
My two cents , I am not an off roader, but just went on our first trip for some light off roading and we had a blast !
With that being said, I have a 21 Base ,2.3 , Non Sas, 2 inch lift kit, and 35s, no lockers , no sway bar disconnect.
With none of those options, this rig still went through areas where I never thought it could.
It was pleasantly surprised.

I don't plan on doing any hardcore rock crawling, but some light adventures with the family and friends.

You'd be very surprised what your Base bronco can do.

Sponsored

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You don't need lockers to go off-road though. And certainly not a front locker for many people. Nor are huge tires necessarily needed, depends on the terrain. Probably a Base swapped to 32/33 inch tires is plenty for a decent number of folks off-road. Might want to also add some skid plate protection, depending on how the vehicle is equipped.

Maybe the ease these days of ordering all the goodies stock with a vehicle, has changed perception of what is actually needed for off-road? For years people have been wheeling without all that stuff.

Consider before front e-lockers, putting a locker in the front end was typically not a common thing due to the negative consequences, and yet people were still off-roading all over the place.

This was my thought process and as to why I did not option the locker when I setup my build. We have to draw a budget somewhere (but now I think to myself, well 700$ really wouldn't have affected much anyways, lol). But I was weighing options such as 2.7 engine (for me, a must) high package & rear locker. All of which I considered their cost and how much I would use them. High pack/engine = daily enjoyment, so money well spent. Rear locker may never be needed. Yes, I like to go on trails & beach, etc, but personally don't have the disposable income to smash up my 50k$ vehicle... so putting my rig in the situation where it really needs a rear locker will be minimal.

So, OP, sit down and think about what your goal is long term and what you may regret later. The Bronco does not need a locker to go on trails & have fun. You will have to be a little more careful in lines you choose and how you manage certain situations - a locker will absolutely help you on more difficult obstacles, but it's doesn't make the vehicle useless if it's without. If power is important to you, you can definitely tell the added 30 hp & 100 ft lbs in the V6, but it also doesn't turn it into a sports car (Im looking at adding the FP tune to mine as it is).

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I say get the V6

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Regarding Sasquatch on a base, I'm betting that ship has sailed.

It's outside of what the OP wants to spend, but with current orders being told to drop Sasquatch I'm betting that the package will be removed from the lower two trims, maybe even BD too, to save those parts for the Heritage trims and new specialty trims like Oats and etc.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A capable 4WD doesn't have to be powerful, look at all the older Overlanders driving all over the globe, they're not fast, but they can go anywhere.

I agree that the Bronco is plenty capable stock, but the V6 also requires the extra cost of the auto tranny v. the locker. One bad mistake and being stuck somewhere a locker could helped is cheap insurance at $700 v. the cost of the engine and the auto tranny.

OP doesn't need it, but the lack of experience could make it come in handy if he gets somewhere he can't turn around. Will he always have someone around to help out, even in the snow?

I was high center (on purpose, major hwy with traffic during major storm) in my own driveway and chains, a shovel and an LSD got me out faster with less digging.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have the 4.46 manual and 35's ... driveable, but not "ideal".
6th gear is completely useless, it drives the boost numbers way up and fuel mileage goes straight into the shitter.
I now run 78/80 mph in 5th gear @2700rpm and it likes it there. As far as I can tell, I may have actually improved my fuel mileage, which even I cannot believe.
I, and others that have done it, TYPICALLY agree that 33" tires would probably be the best/tallest size for the 4.46. The Base 30" was too small for the 4.46 ... IN MY OPINION.
It drove almost like a manual Super Duty with a granny gear... not even talking about the Crawler gear!
In mine (BadManSquatch) 5th and 6th are basically a wash at legal hwy speeds (70-75) around here. 6th runs lower rpm with boost against any resistance (wind, elevation) and 5th runs higher rpms. I choose between them based on the conditions. Against the wind, traffic and rising elevation is 5th gear.

Sponsored

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
One other thought on Lockers or not.

Trail damage. Watch the videos of people forcing the vehicle through trails without a locker trying to keep up with locked up vehicles.

What you'll typically see is lots of wheel spin from the unlocked vehicle as it claws for traction. The old "when in doubt, throttle it out" mindset. That's fun as all heck when it works, but it's not good for the trail or vehicle the behind you.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is kind of what I've been wondering with all the Sasquatch comments. I mean, sure it would be nice to have and would get me more places, but my '02 Ranger FX4 has gotten me up some pretty sketchy spider trails and through some muddy situations. And I know that thing isn't a serious off road vehicle.

It also sounds like Sasquatch is going to be hard to get and that I can make a lot happen with the BB I4 and rear locker.
I have the 2.7 and the rear locker on our Outerbanks.
If I had to go with only one I would choose the rear locker. The added bonus of the 4.27 gears are better suited for larger tires/wheels later.
So, just to drive the point home, this is my 2.7 Outer Banks Bronco. In this little video snippet, I did have my rear locker engaged, but I certainly didn't need all of the power available from the 2.7, a 2.3 Bronco would have been just as good (I probably wouldn't have needed the rear locker even, especially with better spotting). The Bronco is crazy capable and has a very competent traction control system.

I was following a Jeep Gladiator on 35's with no problem on the trails. It was not a hard thing to do with the 2 door Bronco having a better breakover angle. FWIW, my Bronco is on 33.5" tires. No lift needed.

I am not sure, but I believe that the Bronco in Baja mode will allow you to have the rear locker above 25 mph. Now, my long term plan with my Bronco is to eventually put a TrueTrac differential in the front axle rather than go with a locker, but that's because I am not a "rock crawler" and the TrueTrac will better suit the type of driving I like.

Regarding all of the Broncos when 1:1 in the transfer case, it seems like Ford geared them for 180 MPH. No one is going to be turning 6,000 rpm in 6th gear in a manual or 10th gear in the auto, it's just silly.

Last edited:

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, just to drive the point home, this is my 2.7 Outer Banks Bronco. In this little video snippet, I did have my rear locker engaged, but I certainly didn't need all of the power available from the 2.7, a 2.3 Bronco would have been just as good (I probably wouldn't have needed the rear locker even, especially with better spotting). The Bronco is crazy capable and has a very competent traction control system.

I was following a Jeep Gladiator on 35's with no problem on the trails. It was not a hard thing to do with the 2 door Bronco having a better breakover angle. FWIW, my Bronco is on 33.5" tires. No lift needed.

I am not sure, but I believe that the Bronco in Baja mode will allow you to have the rear locker above 25 mph. Now, my long term plan with my Bronco is to eventually put a TrueTrac differential in the front axle rather than go with a locker, but that's because I am not a "rock crawler" and the TrueTrac will better suit the type of driving I like.

Regarding all of the Broncos when 1:1 in the transfer case, it seems like Ford geared them for 180 MPH. No one is going to be turning 6,000 rpm in 6th gear in a manual or 10th gear in the auto, it's just silly.
if that trail were just a little bit wet, the rear locker would probably make a huge difference and prevent the inclination to gun it to
overcome the obstacle.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
if that trail were just a little bit wet, the rear locker would probably make a huge difference and prevent the inclination to gun it to
overcome the obstacle.

True... here is a video of what a 2.3 base, no-lockers, on 35's can be expected to do.

His previous video about putting 35's on there was pretty good. This is with an unmodified stock suspension, 3.73 gears, and it will rub slightly at full flex up because the suspension stops do not limit the upward travel enough at full flex.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nate Train

Nate Train

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Ford Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

All the additional comments are super helpful here. I don't know that the decision is any easier (since I'm kind of tight-walleted and wishy-washy), but all the extra information helps.
Sponsored