Sponsored

New here, BS owner thinking of upgrading.

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Sport, 2011 f-150, 06 ranger, 02 Explore
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've got a 21 BS badlands and it is WAY more capable than people give it credit. That said, the one issue I have is clearance. I put on 245/70/17's (30's) and have about 9" of clearance. There are no lift kits for the badlands and the fender wells are too small to put anything bigger.

So I took some full size for a drive and found the following;
I want a 2 door
I want a 4 cyl with manual (crawl gear)
I want locking diffs

I priced base with locking diffs and some off road stuff but its cheaper to go up a level. So I go up a level and yes I get the locking diffs and 4.47 but no rock sliders etc...

The conclusion I have, is that I need to buy a badlands bronco to have the same features and capabilities as a badlands BS. I had a wildtrack out and while the 35's are nice, the suspension is way too mushy for me. Might be great at 75mph in a field, but it bad going slow.
And yes, while trying an outer banks (32" tires) I went up a snowy road chewing as far as I could before it stopped. I backed out and took it back to the dealership. When I was leaving I took the BS back to the same spot, (with 27" winter tires) and went to the top. I even stopped where the bronco stopped (spinning one front and one rear, grrr) and started off from there with the BS in "mud" so the traction control is off and then I locked the rear diff and away it went.

So, am I crazy? Do I have to get the badlands to have a serious bronco??
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

LOL, I was lost as hell until I figured out BS = Bronco Sport!!!

Did you look at Base Sasquatch with a manual???
The suspension is different than the Wildtrak, same 35's though.
If the 35's are a concern, just sell them and install 33's.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
A Base Sas is a serious Bronco, if you want extra fluff you'll have to spend more. FYI any Sasquatch Bronco (other than a Wildtrak with HOSS 3.0), should have relatively the same suspension feel as a non-sas BLs. Of course you can't order a Base now.

mjohnso3

Black Diamond
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've got a 21 BS badlands and it is WAY more capable than people give it credit. That said, the one issue I have is clearance. I put on 245/70/17's (30's) and have about 9" of clearance. There are no lift kits for the badlands and the fender wells are too small to put anything bigger.

So I took some full size for a drive and found the following;
I want a 2 door
I want a 4 cyl with manual (crawl gear)
I want locking diffs

I priced base with locking diffs and some off road stuff but its cheaper to go up a level. So I go up a level and yes I get the locking diffs and 4.47 but no rock sliders etc...

The conclusion I have, is that I need to buy a badlands bronco to have the same features and capabilities as a badlands BS. I had a wildtrack out and while the 35's are nice, the suspension is way too mushy for me. Might be great at 75mph in a field, but it bad going slow.
And yes, while trying an outer banks (32" tires) I went up a snowy road chewing as far as I could before it stopped. I backed out and took it back to the dealership. When I was leaving I took the BS back to the same spot, (with 27" winter tires) and went to the top. I even stopped where the bronco stopped (spinning one front and one rear, grrr) and started off from there with the BS in "mud" so the traction control is off and then I locked the rear diff and away it went.

So, am I crazy? Do I have to get the badlands to have a serious bronco??

I would venture to say that any 2 door Bronco regardless of trim level will out perform a BS off-road. To be clear BS means Bronco Sport?

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

LOL, I was lost as hell until I figured out BS = Bronco Sport!!!

Did you look at Base Sasquatch with a manual???
The suspension is different than the Wildtrak, same 35's though.
If the 35's are a concern, just sell them and install 33's.
Haha, I'm glad I wasn't the only one, I was thinking base squatch too but that did make sense either.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The conclusion I have, is that I need to buy a badlands bronco to have the same features and capabilities as a badlands BS.
I think a basic Base is just as capable, if not more so, than BS BL.

New or used? Cause I got some bad news regarding constraints if you are thinking of ordering anything Sasquatch. Some worse news if you are wanting to order a 2-foor And I got devastating news if you want a manual.

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last edited:

BigRed13

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Super Duty
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So you drove a Bronco Outer Banks, not a Bronco Sport Outer Banks? If so, I think you’d be amazed at what a difference a set of tires makes. But some people don’t buy houses either cause they hate the wall color so.

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Welcome to the board, I've seen some of your videos. I had a 21 BS BL myself. Somedays I miss it.
Read up on the manual trans issues if you have not already.

My 2cents, don't worry about not getting the factory rock rails. You are going to want something better. Trim level is really going to depend on what amenities you want.

You may really like a Black Diamond with SAS, has all the off road goodies not much of the fluff. Next bump up would be the Badlands.

But you are going to have to find one on the lot, an incoming abandoned order, or used because Ford has paused production of manual Broncos.

I'm looking forward to seeing your Bronco videos.

Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

lol. base is capable.

i have a bd with only a rear locker and have done nuts shit. i added 33s and bl c/o's and can't ask for more. my only complaint is the hitachi is rough and the rebound sucks on non-sas.

let's be honest here. if you know how to wheel or are willing to get better a rear locker is all you need (unless you are moab rock-crawl level).

the base without a rear is still insane capable. the front locker and dc are just icing on the cake. your example is more about the tires than the vehicle.

Black_Stallion13

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The post above is spot on. Sounds like u just need any basic Bronco and swap out the 32" road-oriented tires - obviously those r not gonna be great for any kind of serious offroading. A standard Bronco with a locker in any form is gonna be better than any BS in any form. You don't need all the extras that Ford tries to upsell you.

Southern Girl

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco/2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm sorry, but I'm just cracking up that you are saying a sport is more capable than a full size outer banks. :LOL:

Bushwhacker

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Z71
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did you mean to buy the Bronco Sport, or did you think you were getting an actual Bronco?

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm sorry, but I'm just cracking up that you are saying a sport is more capable than a full size outer banks. :LOL:
He said "features and capabilities" . The Badlands is the highest trim in the Sport lineup. To match "features" he may believe he needs the Badlands Bronco.

But, the Bronco is not line by line the same as the Sport lineup.

In the Sport line to get the best wheel and tire package, or skid plates or lockers you have to get the Badlands. So that may be his thinking.

Please try to be helpful next time.
Sponsored