First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pont Vibe
Your Bronco Model
Base
Our 4door 2.7L badlands dropped a valve and blew the engine, leaving us stranded when on a road trip. Ford is replacing the engine. However, the experience was so bad and now we have doubts about taking it on future road trips or taking it anywhere out of cell service. Ford denied our request that they buy it back, so we are thinking of selling it. At this point, we are not even sure about how to price it. Any suggestions for determining a good price point? MSRP was $51,875. Don't want to take a loss and know they are going over MSRP right now.
Currently has about 2900 miles.
I had this happen to a new Dodge Dakota I purchased in 1999. It didn't leave me stranded but the engine started knocking. I was very upset and fought tooth and nail for a buy back. Finally I reluctantly agreed to have them replace the engine. After that it was fine and had no issues for as long as I owned it. If you otherwise like the car, have the engine replaced and give it another chance. From what I've heard the 2.7L engine has been around since 2015 and has a good reputation.
Sponsored

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The 2.3 definitely does not have tons of power. It may be adequate for some/most but that description is pushing it, lol… and so far the 2.3 seems more reliable as there isn’t a specific production issue with it but long term, it may not be as reliable. It may be working harder to move such a heavy vehicle and wear out sooner. We won’t see that yet though. Assuming it’s more reliable is only speculation at this stage. Hopefully Ford is on top of the 2.7’s (hopefully limited) issue and won’t be a concern for too many more people.
"Power" is relative, so it really isn't useful arguing about that. I will say, my 2DR with the 2.3 and MT has never left me wanting.

I'm not an expert but doesn't the transmission move the vehicle, not the engine. So long as the two are paired appropriately, shouldn't the weight of the vehicle be a non-factor? I mean, once the vehicle is rolling, how much more effort does it require to keep it rolling?

Also, I keep my eye on the Tach, the engine doesn't appear to be working hard and has plenty of gearing (in the MT and Auto) to optimize the power and torque of the engine.

I won't speak to long-term reliability, but the simplicity and reliability was part of my hope in getting the 2.3 paired with the MT in the 2DR. Only time will tell if it was a wise or meaningful difference, but I am very happy with the combo now.

If @mpeugeot is correct, and it seems he is on to something, then the overall engine might not have an issue, but an isolated part within the engine. The speed at which it seems dealerships are opting to replace engines leads me to believe this is a known issue. I wonder if Ford is working on a retro fit that would mitigate the cost and time to replace suspect and failed engines currently in use. 🤷‍♂️

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Our 4door 2.7L badlands dropped a valve and blew the engine, leaving us stranded when on a road trip. Ford is replacing the engine. However, the experience was so bad and now we have doubts about taking it on future road trips or taking it anywhere out of cell service. Ford denied our request that they buy it back, so we are thinking of selling it. At this point, we are not even sure about how to price it. Any suggestions for determining a good price point? MSRP was $51,875. Don't want to take a loss and know they are going over MSRP right now.
Just let them put a new engine in and you should be good to go you going to possibly take a hit selling it just keep it let them put a new engine in. This is the price we pay buying a first year vehicle . I wish ford would come forward as to which batch of engines this effects mine will be built Monday I’m not to worried. I’m curious to know how many bad 2.7 were built and what month I’m thinking from June till maybe July august but no one knows cause ford treats us like mushrooms they keep us in the dark and pile shit on top of us

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had this happen to a new Dodge Dakota I purchased in 1999. It didn't leave me stranded but the engine started knocking. I was very upset and fought tooth and nail for a buy back. Finally I reluctantly agreed to have them replace the engine. After that it was fine and had no issues for as long as I owned it. If you otherwise like the car, have the engine replaced and give it another chance. From what I've heard the 2.7L engine has been around since 2015 and has a good reputation.
The 2.7 in the bronco is not the same as in the f150 I seen someone posted new engine for bronco

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not going to lie this is starting to concern me since I'm getting a 2.7 in a couple of weeks. From all the threads I've read about this seems isolated to the June/July builds? Unless its because the people that have gotten them in the last few months just haven't put enough miles on it yet.

Sponsored

connor'sdad

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-250 Lariat, 1995 EB bronco and 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
try givemethevin.com they will pay more!

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

As for the 2.7L issue it appears its from a batch built around the time the engine plant shut down for COVID or when COVID hit-it seems to be a vendor/sub manufacture issue. I haven't seen, but haven't checked either to see if F-150s are affected by it either.

Shit happens with cars and more often then not repairs fix the issue. I had a major collision with a years old 2006 Mustang GT that I did 15K damage with and it was at the auto body shop for 6-7 weeks getting fixed. I had the car till 2017 or so (was a weekend/3rd car the last few years) and never had any issues from the accident at all with it and it ran great with almost 120K on it.

ab_slack

Black Diamond
First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Explorer and 87 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm Deep South, from the great sovereign State of Alabama, but we think the same; trust me. That Ice melt is smart. In winter, I carry a small bag of kitty litter in case I get stuck on ice.

I don't own no cat neither!
Nobody owns a cat. Cats merely take up residence in their servants quarters

LSBronco13

Wildtrak
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You blew a valve. So what. You know who also blew an engine? Dale Earnhart, Mario Andretti, Richard Petty, Jeff Gordon, Kenny Bernstein, Don Garlits. Did they walk away from racing because of a blown engine? No. Get that engine replaced and get back on the road soldier.

Rex21c

Wildtrak
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 fusion energi
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I understand your feelings, however look at it logically. The trouble is being removed and a new engine is being put in, you'll have a new start. From what others and my self have seen at least posted on the forums here, it's a pretty isolated incident, and the ratio of failed valves to working valves is way off so chances that you'll get another engine with bad valves or a bad anything really is pretty low. We are a long way off from June/July where the possible bad batches came from. You'll run into the chance of getting something bad no matter what vehicle you go with. Now that this issue will be resolved you could be done with major problems.

If you sell and go with another new vehicle, you're taking the gamble again on something being wonky from the factory, as little of a chance that is.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You blew a valve. So what. You know who also blew an engine? Dale Earnhart, Mario Andretti, Richard Petty, Jeff Gordon, Kenny Bernstein, Don Garlits. Did they walk away from racing because of a blown engine? No. Get that engine replaced and get back on the road soldier.
I understand your feelings, however look at it logically. The trouble is being removed and a new engine is being put in, you'll have a new start. From what others and my self have seen at least posted on the forums here, it's a pretty isolated incident, and the ratio of failed valves to working valves is way off so chances that you'll get another engine with bad valves or a bad anything really is pretty low. We are a long way off from June/July where the possible bad batches came from. You'll run into the chance of getting something bad no matter what vehicle you go with. Now that this issue will be resolved you could be done with major problems.

If you sell and go with another new vehicle, you're taking the gamble again on something being wonky from the factory, as little of a chance that is.
Logic isn't always the answer. In all fairness to the OP, we don't know her (assuming gender) family or how this breakdown affected them.

It doesn't "feel" comforting to rely on a vehicle that has had serious problems and the problem is magnified if you have family members with medical issues or other special needs that make an incident like this far more disturbing. What some of us will gladly endure, others are less resilient to (not necessarily because of any internal failing), but because of our circumstances.

She did come her for advice, and I think that there are some really constructive points being made, but to tell her that she's being "emotional" about it as if that's completely wrong misses an important point. The point being that this purchase was likely an emotional one. One which she desired to feel happiness and even some level of comfort/safety from. She's not feeling that right now, and that seems to be an important factor in her decision.

Anyway, I realize that I am usually more of a troll and often quite ready to throw fuel on the fire. I'm not doing that this time because I think that how you feel about things is important, happiness is important.

That said, if it were me, I would have the engine replaced, be happy that my statistical likelihood for two catastrophic failures was extremely low, much lower than having one catastrophic failure.

Jdyount

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The concern would be that your are likely paying MSRP or above for a used vehicle that has had major very technical mechanical work done. What other problems will be caused down the line by errors made by the technician?

No offense to the OP as I would also consider selling due to these concerns. It would be a tough decision because you can’t get another bronco. However, after this, maybe you don’t want one.

As a buyer, I wouldn’t touch this. However, someone most definitely will buy it given supply/demand.
I don't agree.

First, the powertrain warranty is good for 30k miles. Any mistake made by the tech would likely arise very quickly and would be addressed. The likelihood of any technical error manifesting an issue after the 30k is zero.

Second, have you ever swapped out an engine? I have, several times, on several different vehicles. I'm not a professional yet I was able to do it with no long term issues. Ford Techs do this every day, for them this replacement is a run of the mill Tuesday... Along with the experience and training, they also have access to all of the Ford service manuals and other technical information.
Sponsored