Sponsored

New oil pan needed after 1st oil change (2.7 engine w/ plastic oil pan and drain plug)

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Jeep Patriot, 06 BMW F650GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

#2 Just denied for warranty, as expected. Best part is being bent over by the only service department in the area. Not sure what book hours are for a pan replacement but they are charging 8 at $140 an hour. Then the parts manager is only hitting for a 350-400% markup on the parts.

Hey @Ford Motor Company How does one break the oil pan internal plug locating/retaining pins by hand when removing the plug?

#1 Picked up this morning so in the hands of the dealer and ford on if being covered by warranty. Not expecting any word quickly given only ford dealer in town and next closest is roughly 70 miles away. Prior to pickup I grab a vid of being able to rotate the plug with it being fully inserted and one showing the condition of the plug.

So I hit 5,000 miles and went to do my 1st oil change and tire rotation. Pulled the filter then went to pull the pan plug and that's when it went to hell! The plug just twisted and did not ride out on the pins, stayed fully seated and rotated 180 degrees to the stops. Was able to just turn it from stop to stop with staying fully seated. This was all done by hand. Since it wasn't trying to ride out on the pins and I could not get a grip to pull it out by hand I grabbed pliers and was able to pull it out by just twisting back and forth.

Attached vid shows being able to just push the plug back in. Ran my finger on the inside and do not feel any pins for the plug to lock onto.

Waiting on a tow to the dealer and then the wait. They already said they are booked out for 3-4 weeks.

Sponsored

Last edited:

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford bronco big bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That sucks,sorry. These things happen though. Very unfortunate. Im not a fan of these half turn plugs but I have had one on my f350 for 11 years without issue but I like the traditional threaded metal pan/plug.

im wonderingthough if just a new plug would fix it? Try that? 3-4weeks? I would try that first,new plug

SumDumGuy

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape 2L, 2" lift, 235/60R17
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i read somewhere that the oil pan plugs are single use items and are suppose to be replaced every oil change

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I hit 5,000 miles and went to do my 1st oil change and tire rotation. Pulled the filter then went to pull the pan plug and that's when it went to hell! The plug just twisted and did not ride out on the pins, stayed fully seated and rotated 180 degrees to the stops. Was able to just turn it from stop to stop with staying fully seated. This was all done by hand. Since it wasn't trying to ride out on the pins and I could not get a grip to pull it out by hand I grabbed pliers and was able to pull it out by just twisting back and forth.

Attached vid shows being able to just push the plug back in. Ran my finger on the inside and do not feel any pins for the plug to lock onto.

Waiting on a tow to the dealer and then the wait. They already said they are booked out for 3-4 weeks.

i read somewhere that the oil pan plugs are single use items and are suppose to be replaced every oil change
Yes, the plugs are replaceable and also cheap. Maybe just need a new plug?

OP
OP

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I do have a new one to use but that would not make a difference in this case.

Sponsored

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Strange, I quickly searched that and it does come up saying that. Hmmmm

rtazz17

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I do have a new one to use but that would not make a difference in this case.
? Why
oh the pins. Gotcha
you didn’t accidentally tighten it instead?

OP
OP

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The plugs are replaceable and also cheap. Maybe just need a new plug?
Plug doesn't matter, there is nothing for it to lock onto. In the position I pushed the plug to fully seated the pins would have prevent it from going all the way in.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

? Why
oh the pins. Gotcha
you didn’t accidentally tighten it instead?
You can only turn it one way. There are tabs on the oil pan to prevent you from turning it the wrong direction.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Plug doesn't matter, there is nothing for it to lock onto. In the position I pushed the plug to fully seated the pins would have prevent it from going all the way in.
If there are no pins in place inside the oil pan drain plug hole, then what held the plug in place under operating pressure for the first 5,000 miles? I'm not doubting you. I am simply confused by the actual circumstances?

OP
OP

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If there are no pins in place inside the oil pan drain plug hole, then what held the plug in place under operating pressure for the first 5,000 miles? I'm not doubting you. I am simply confused by the actual circumstances?
I also wonder that! I do not think there is anyway I could twist them off by hand given my carpal tunnel. They are diffintly not there, ran my finger inside and it is smooth all the way around.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
@Administrator requesting to add that its the 2.7 engine with plastic oil pan and drain plug to the title and OP so as not to confuse all of the forum as this is in the general maintenance section.

these are fairly good in terms of plastic oil pans (why? Just..... why????), but they will always be a potential failure point and issue.

FWIW, many companies make retrofit kits to give you a viable long term drain plug, Ronin being my personal favorite if I had wanted to go with the 2.7 engine.
Sponsored