Sponsored

New oil pan needed after 1st oil change (2.7 engine w/ plastic oil pan and drain plug)

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just like the copper gaskets with metal to metal - supmaybe posed to replace every time per the instructions from the copper lobby

Sorry, but just one more reason to have service performed by the dealer during warranty. If it is prone to being screwed up then it is on them if you never touch it. So you saved maybe $50 in labor and $10 difference in oil and filter price by buying at NAPA but certainly a non-warranty oil pan put you now in the negative savings club
For me it’s not about saving $ by doing it myself. It’s about knowing it’s done correctly and not having oil spilled/splashed here and there.
I installed a Ronin plug at my first change. Later changes are super easy and clean.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Jeep Patriot, 06 BMW F650GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry, but just one more reason to have service performed by the dealer during warranty. If it is prone to being screwed up then it is on them if you never touch it. So you saved maybe $50 in labor and $10 difference in oil and filter price by buying at NAPA but certainly a non-warranty oil pan put you now in the negative savings club
And when the warranty expires do you trade in to always be protected from failures? Some people like to do things like oil changes and tire rotation to inspect their vehicle. Have been doing oil changes for 39 years, 3 years at a full service gas station in my teens, have never had a stripped bolt or cross treaded a bolt. Then this plastic pan/plug comes along.

With the new electronics and the way things interact there are many jobs I would not do on a a new vehicle. An oil change should never be on the list of items only a dealer or shop can do. Hell Ford even tried to make it easier by designing a plug that doesn't require a tool.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

And when the warranty expires do you trade in to always be protected from failures? Some people like to do things like oil changes and tire rotation to inspect their vehicle. Have been doing oil changes for 39 years, 3 years at a full service gas station in my teens, have never had a stripped bolt or cross treaded a bolt. Then this plastic pan/plug comes along.

With the new electronics and the way things interact there are many jobs I would not do on a a new vehicle. An oil change should never be on the list of items only a dealer or shop can do. Hell Ford even tried to make it easier by designing a plug that doesn't require a tool.
With Bucky being on a lease, yeah, he might get traded or handed down at warranty expiration. And with all the prior confusion over proper # quarts and dealers in the dark on any difference in dipsticks for me having the dealer mess up is better than me messing up. My engine build date is within range of disaster although 25,000 miles (knock on plastic wood) makes me think I am okay

And I usually do my own changes, have forever, but stopped when I started leasing. My X4 changrs are free,and my first change on Bucky was free. If I buy this bronco then I will do my own afterwards

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just like the copper gaskets with metal to metal - supmaybe posed to replace every time per the instructions from the copper lobby

I rarely convince myself to trust a dealer mechanic to do anything right (I've had bad experiences). Thanks to this thread, on the first oil change, I'll remove the plug and if the tabs are missing from the pan, I'll put the plug back, fill up the oil and take it to the dealer.
But honestly, WTF Ford! I've worked in the plastic extrusion industry, and what is going on with the quality control nowadays! I've heard that quality in manufacturing has gone way down in 2020 and 2021 but wow...

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Ive built several oil pans for shoehorning in wild engine swaps. Not difficult and if someone wants a HD one for the Bronco, I'll build them. Not cheap.

Sponsored

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine should be done tomorrow afternoon and i'll pick it up early saturday. Fully covered under warranty. Basically a one week turn around from when i brought it in. My dealership has been great. For the hassle they discounted my smooth(outerbanks/wildtrak) mirror caps as well so i'll save a couple bucks on that :D

GT500

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i read somewhere that the oil pan plugs are single use items and are suppose to be replaced every oil change
I replaced mine for the first time after 7 oil changes in my 5.0L, it was still fine, no leaks.

RimrockPaul

Base
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
If there are no pins in place inside the oil pan drain plug hole, then what held the plug in place under operating pressure for the first 5,000 miles? I'm not doubting you. I am simply confused by the actual circumstances?
Why is an oil pan drain so complex? Righty tightly lefty loosey. Why would engineers try to improve something that has worked for over 100 years ?
Messed up.
Paul in AZ
Sponsored