Sponsored

Newbie question - on why there are so many used Broncos on AutoTrader.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I let my first Bronco Reservation go to my wife for a 4-door Big Bend softie because that was about the only version Ford could build 2 years ago. Wife never liked it because it wasn't bougie enough for her. She sold it and got a Jaguar F-Pace Type S. We just spent $325 for an oil change, but that's the price of keeping her happy.
Sponsored

Imaginary Friend

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I did some recent finance stuff and the bank manager was talking about ARM stuff and I was like are you on crack... I will take the fixed % lol. I got burned once on an ARM, survived, but never again in my lifetime. Oh and my wife wants a second bronco just to drive everyday so a 2DR 24 is very likely in the cards.
When I bought my current home 20 years ago, the finance person asked if I might be interested in an ARM when finalizing the paperwork. I looked her in the eye and asked her to explain why the hell I would want to do that (rate was around 5% at the time of purchase, which I refinanced twice before paying it off in '21). She got a little flustered and said they have to ask everyone. Predators.

A coworker learned about ARMs the hard way.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My wife HATES both my cars. She wanted a Toyota Rav4 Prime.
When she said a sensible 4 door family car, and I came home with a Charger Hellcat she was pissed. When she said 4 door, good gas mileage, sensible family suv, and I came home with a Bronco. You guessed it, she was pissed.
But really the fault is hers, she keeps sending me out by myself to buy the cars.
Always drove Audi/VW sedans until now. My wife also told me I should get a family SUV. The only saving grace is our kids absolutely love the Bronco!

Gyddeup

Wildtrak
First Name
Amiee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Another possibility is people had an excessively long wait for their one-of-a-kind ordered Bronco, so they bought the first Bronco available to tide them over. Ford has finally started pumping out the orders so you're seeing the trade-ins.

Just my opinion regarding a percentage of what you see.
This is the case for a lot of folks, they got a lower optioned bronco to tie them over until their order came in.

schlava

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F250; 2021 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Dealers also list all reservation orders as stock so those will also hit the websites as inventory.

Sponsored

coachoates

Raptor
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I bet a lot of the broncos available to buy have a lot of the same options.

If you really dig into features and require certain items, you may not be able to find the Bronco you want and in the color you have to have.

for my father-in-law last fall, he found 1 bronco of all broncos that met his criteria. He had to drive 800 miles and pay $5 over.

But $5 over then is close to asking now and he is not waiting for some unknown day.

so I bet a lot of the Bronco’s available are similar in features.

try finding a badlands, 2 door, SAS, 2.3 manual, hard top, Lux, in the color you want…your pickings get slim in a hurry.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
for my father-in-law last fall, he found 1 bronco of all broncos that met his criteria. He had to drive 800 miles and pay $5 over.
$5 over--why quibble about that? Lots of people paid $5K (or more) over. 😁

coachoates

Raptor
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

$5 over--why quibble about that? Lots of people paid $5K (or more) over. 😁
No quibble here. I paid for my Bronco Raptor. I was rooting him on to pay it. It’s true, had he waited his bronco still wouldn’t be here and the Ford price increases have basically made the then ADM = 0.

I was just emphasizing a lot broncos maybe available but to get what you want, options are likely still limited which explains the current ADM.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have its twin...:D...

GeoBig

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco, 1974 MG Midget
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
And there's no one to blame for it. I am sure that you got a big raise to offset all the increased costs.
Except that it all started right around the Spring of 2021, but sure, "there's no one to blame for it".

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm contemplating a Bronco or a 4 Runner TRD. Given the fact that people order a Bronco and wait years to get there's - when you go on auto trader there are hundreds of used ones for sale.

What are some opinions on why there are so many used ones available - thanks!
Some reasons:
  • Change of financial situation, over the year or more it took to get the vehicle.
  • Some people (not me) ordered a vehicle they had never driven, much less even seen in person. So maybe the fantasy bumped up against reality for pavement use.
  • The initial period of speculators/flippers that under normal circumstances would have been burned through already, has been dragged out and is still going on, due to COVID hangover (parts) and production issues (hardtop etc).

It's a shame what started out as a pretty decently priced new 4x4 ($28k base 2-door), that a guy could reasonably afford and do some top down offroad exploring, over the last couple years has turned into something else. Leastways I'm sad the base isn't even available now and we are looking at $60k+ Broncos. Gentrification. :(

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
So Autotrader shows 3452 "used" Broncos nationwide.
Of those only 347 are Manuals.

So clearly 90% are undesirable auto-magic transmissions. (I kid...)

What's odd (ok highly suspicious) is that hundreds of them appear to be "used" with under 100 miles on them. And to nobody's surprise, for thousands higher than new MSRP.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So Autotrader shows 3452 "used" Broncos nationwide.
Of those only 347 are Manuals.

So clearly 90% are undesirable auto-magic transmissions. (I kid...)

What's odd (ok highly suspicious) is that hundreds of them appear to be "used" with under 100 miles on them. And to nobody's surprise, for thousands higher than new MSRP.
Those with low mileage and above MSRP are clearly scummy dealer flips.

whiteox

Base
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes! Same here for me, not at any price! Mine's a 2022 Base, 2-door, MT, white with r-rack and mod bump, picked in June '22, 32K out the door. Best fun machine I've ever driven! Answer to original question, stupidity, greed and emotional, fickle, dumbass wife decisions. Tommy Bronc P.S., After her divorce of me she had the gall to ask if she could drive it once in a while. NOT.
Sponsored