Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, they are made out of completely different materials. The modular top is SMC, meaning it is a type of plastic that is pressed in a sheet. It is fiber reinforced, ala fiberglass. It is solid plastic that is then painted.
I thought the underlying structure is the same... it's the outer shell that is difference.
Textured thermoplastic on the MIC and SMC on the Modular.

Sponsored

Broncoak

Badlands
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 FSB
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There will be an aftermarket soft top within months after release though I'm guessing.
Exactly. Just take the MIC top, then purchase the soft via AFTRMKT when available. I think the MOD top is cool, but not worth the extra money, so I'll pass.

I think AFTRMKT is going to offer some really unique items over time:
better rear bumper
more lighting options
winch that actually allows LoS for the front camera
Brush Guard that actually guards stuff without blocking the BRONCO on the grill
More wheel/tire options
Donut doors? maybe
More racks
better rock rails that cover the weld spots
etc
etc
etc

EDIT: complete interior overhaul!

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Interesting comment here.
"As a result of this change, the MSRP of these models will be reduced by $1,895, the full retail price of the black painted modular hardtop option."

So I can get a soft top now, and buy a painted black top after for $1,895?
When they are available, the price probably will have increased to $2500.

texasgreazer

Heritage
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer, 2019 GMC Canyon
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

This ^^ . So this basically means that if you want dual tops, just order with a soft top and buy the modular later. The only money you are wasting is whatever they charge for shipping, cant be more than $300, drop in the bucket on a 60k vehicle. Even more so if you want dual tops with the WHITE mod top, as that would mean delaying your order by over a year. The only reason to wait is if you Don't want dual tops.
So....could a guy come out less out of pocket later by getting the hard top first, and buying the soft later? I assume it would be cheaper to ship as well. But will/would it be available from the parts counter as soon as the hardtops?

CT203

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 JK
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, they are made out of completely different materials. The modular top is SMC, meaning it is a type of plastic that is pressed in a sheet. It is fiber reinforced, ala fiberglass. It is solid plastic that is then painted.
Any idea if there is a significant weight difference or sound deadening difference between the materials?

Sponsored

JoeyIV

First Edition
First Name
Joey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 FJ40
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Sorry, I think I'm confused lol... What is the difference between the modular roof and the dual tops? Is the dual top just the soft top and MIC top combo? The modular roof is the combination of 5 different roof panels, right? Someone correct me where I'm wrong :ROFLMAO:

I'm just trying to figure out what the bad news is about this announcement!

Willwork4bronco

Badlands
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I thought the underlying structure is the same... it's the outer shell that is difference.
Textured thermoplastic on the MIC and SMC on the Modular.
I’m pretty sure it is I think I just threw him off cause I said more better.
From the guy that probably knows the best :
The MIC and Modular both use the same manufacturing process and materials with the exception of the outer shell. On the MIC a thinner thermoplastic sheet is used, while on the Modular it's a thicker SMC sheet.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought the 2 door modular top also got the "gun turret" hatch above the second row as well.
Straighten me out here.
You are correct. The images from that article are of the MIC top.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
This seems to be an elegant solution to just one of many covid-world issues. There are bound to be a number of other supply-chain issues with bringing a new product to market in this environment.

There will also be options which cause the delay of VIN's starting production because of parts availability. Those won't be broadcast as the roof is.
Sponsored